Time off to exercise - your comments

Options
I've decided to take time off (3 months) from work to take care of myself a bit. I want to exercise 3 to 4 hours a day (bought Ripped in 30 from Jillian Michaels) and eat healthy. I have about 50 lbs to lose. Need some encouragement and tell me if what i'm doing is crazy :noway: lolll

Replies

• AmberLee2012
    AmberLee2012 Posts: 540
    Options
    Wow 3-4 hours a day seems kind of excessive! It's great that you want to take better care of yourself, but depending on your fitness level, you might want to start out slower. Otherwise you could end up with some injuries that sideline you anyway.
  • lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    Options
    Not really sure what to say here...why do you find it necessary to exercise 3 to 4 hours per day?
  • Westerngal88
    Options
    It's not a bad idea to take care of yourself. I just wonder how you will be able to keep up the exercise once you go back to work. Taking a 3 month hiatus to work out is nice but it's not real life. At some point you will be back at work. Take this time to make sure you a serious about this and really hit that goal so it doesn't feel like wasted time. Also decide if 50 lbs is safe and feasible in 3 months. Good luck and best wishes!!
  • krithsai
    krithsai Posts: 668 Member
    Options
    Not really sure what to say here...why do you find it necessary to exercise 3 to 4 hours per day?

Same question.
  • craigmandu
    craigmandu Posts: 976 Member
    Options
    I honestly think you run a very high risk of overtraining...it takes time for a body to acclimate to exercise. Starting off excessive can cause all sorts of injuries.
  • m4ttcheek
    m4ttcheek Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    I could see why you'd do this if you were passionate about a sport but 4 hours of exercise dvds a day...... Really?
  • RoseTears143
    RoseTears143 Posts: 1,121 Member
    Options
    I am all for you taking care of yourself - but I fail to see why you would need a 3 month break from work to do so. 3-4 hours day is a bit excessive...what are you going to do when you go back to work? Stop taking care of yourself? It's all about balance and making time in your current routine to be able to exercise and enjoy fitness related activities.
  • cmeiron
    cmeiron Posts: 1,599 Member
    Options
    Nothing wrong with taking a break from things to recharge, if that's what you need for your physical or mental health.

However.

Four hours a day? Cray-cray. Totally unnecessary.

You can achieve your goals without excessive exercise (certainly no need to take time of work JUST to exercise).
  • DuckDynastyMakesMeLaugh
    DuckDynastyMakesMeLaugh Posts: 363 Member
    Options
    I am not a doctor and I do not play one on TV, but exercising 3-4 hours a day sounds too challenging and unsustainable.

Obviously, there are people in the world, Olympic athletes, body builders, celebrities with 3 nannies who exercise that much...but so many encouraging people here just like you and me say that "Slow and steady wins the race".

You need to be patient.
    You need to make healthy food choices.
    You need to exercise regularly!

YOU CAN DO IT! :flowerforyou:
  • socioseguro
    socioseguro Posts: 1,679 Member
    Options
    I've decided to take time off (3 months) from work to take care of myself a bit. I want to exercise 3 to 4 hours a day (bought Ripped in 30 from Jillian Michaels) and eat healthy. I have about 50 lbs to lose. Need some encouragement and tell me if what i'm doing is crazy :noway: lolll

If you are interested on long term results, I would recommend no more than 1 hour a day, with 1 day rest a week.

60 minutes of exercise is enough to include warm up, workout and stretch.

I wish you luck in your journey
  • Topsking2010
    Topsking2010 Posts: 2,245 Member
    Options
    I lost 47 pounds in 5 months working 9 hours per day 5 days a week.

All you need is 1 hour of exercise 6 days a week and a healthy diet!

Go to work and get paid. A good job is hard to find these days!!!
  • goodtimezzzz
    goodtimezzzz Posts: 640 Member
    Options
    is this a joke??? your pics are amazing
  • FITnFIRM4LIFE
    FITnFIRM4LIFE Posts: 818 Member
    Options
    I think it's great you want to better yourself..But, look at what you can do for a lifetime. Probably not going to do 3-4 hrs for life. Also,You should look at the lifeplan more than 3 month block. You can ex, work and eat and lose weight. I wish you well!
  • iLose2Gain
    iLose2Gain Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    Well contestants from the Biggest Loser take 3-4 mths off to lose weight & workout up to 8hrs per day, so I don't think what you are doing is "crazy"! However, they are also under heavy medical supervision. Speak to your doctor about it and make sure to have regular check ups. You may also what to work with a chiropractor or physical therapist to make sure you are using the correct muscles during each workout.

Once you return to work, you should be at maintenance status & could reduce the time you workout at the gym to 2-3 hrs per day. Most are not as fortunate to take 3 mths off to focus on their health so I say kudos to you. But again, make sure you are also working with a medical professional.

Much Success to you!
  • ClementineGeorg
    ClementineGeorg Posts: 505 Member
    Options
    Another problem is that this is not a permanent solution. It's temporary. What are you going to do after you will go back at your normal lifestyle?

For example many people in weight loss reality-shows gain back the weight. Why? Because it is easy to lose weight when you only take care of this, when you workout 3-6 hours a day, when you cook every meal. But it's not sustainable. You can go back to your old life and don't know how to handle it.
    Some manage to make a healthy lifestyle after this, but some not.

It is better to manage to lose with all the day-to-day problems, because this is your life... you should aim for permanent solutions, not temporary fixes. Because temporary fixes are not always sustainable.

Again, think about reality-shows contestants. Yes, they train many hour a day. But they are surounded by medical personal, by nutritionists and special trainers. To workout 3-4 hours a day without damage to your joints and other body parts you should have at least a personal trainer that should guide you, like professional athletes.
  • jmcreynolds91
    jmcreynolds91 Posts: 777 Member
    Options

this...your pics dont look like you need to loose 50 pounds.
  • pluckabee
    pluckabee Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    Taking time off to do your weight loss plan isn't going to teach you how to live a healthy lifestyle when you are living a normal life, which includes going to work.

small adjustments that fit into your life and become habits are more likely to lead to long term success
  • skinnydreams19
    skinnydreams19 Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    That seems excessive (the recommendation is 30-45 minutes of activity per day, but more than 1 hour 6 days per week is usually no considered very healthy). You want to build healthy habits that work with your life so you'll be successful in the long run!

Also, what job do you have where you have enough money to just take 3 months off to gym? Jealous!
  • lina1131
    lina1131 Posts: 2,246 Member
    Options

this...your pics dont look like you need to loose 50 pounds.

Those pictures are most likely not her.

Honestly, working out 4 to 5 hours a day is not necessary. 1 hour per day and watching what you eat will do the job!

Good luck.
  • AmberLee2012
    AmberLee2012 Posts: 540
    Options

I'm going to guess those aren't really her pics. Maybe a model's? There is no face in them.