Exercise High

Options
I hear about endorphins and how exercise is supposed to give you this extra energy and feeling "actually feeling better" when does it hit? I've veen slowly adding more exercise into my routine and I've yet to hit it. My pysch dr suggested it before we changed around my antidepressant medication or even my mood stabilizer however I still don't think we need to do that, I just want to know when it will hit. I'm still tired in fact I was drowsy on the road this morning (I drive 30 minutes to work on a MOUNTAIN).
I'm going to be buying some new walking/running shoes this weekend to pick up the pace but I don't know what else to do. My body just doesn't seem to like the adjustment and any jarring motions (jumping jacks and even to heavy to hitting of feet on the pavement throw me into a migraine)

Replies

• catbyrd
    catbyrd Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    Hi, the exercise that started to make me feel better and less depressed was walking. It didnt seem to matter if it was with an exercise tape, on the treadmill or outside. When walking on the treadmill or outside I listen to a book on tape (via headphones), which is relaxing for me, and it helps to relieve the stress.

Find something that is beneficial to your health but also relaxing. Start out slow. I cant do the jumping jacks and so forth either. Another exercise I find relaxing is yoga. Whether you do it at a gym or at home, and if you cant do all of the exercises do the best you can. After a short time you will be amazed at the extra you are able to do because it stretches your muscles. Besides, the music they use is relaxing and soothing, so it allows your mind as well as your body to relax.

Relaxing your mind is one of the biggest parts of not feeling tired all of the time.

Good luck:smile:
  • CaffeinatedGlitter
    CaffeinatedGlitter Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    For me it happens when I push myself past what I think are my limits. It's scary but it's worth it!
  • BflSaberfan
    BflSaberfan Posts: 1,272
    Options
    I hear about endorphins and how exercise is supposed to give you this extra energy and feeling "actually feeling better" when does it hit? I've veen slowly adding more exercise into my routine and I've yet to hit it. My pysch dr suggested it before we changed around my antidepressant medication or even my mood stabilizer however I still don't think we need to do that, I just want to know when it will hit. I'm still tired in fact I was drowsy on the road this morning (I drive 30 minutes to work on a MOUNTAIN).
    I'm going to be buying some new walking/running shoes this weekend to pick up the pace but I don't know what else to do. My body just doesn't seem to like the adjustment and any jarring motions (jumping jacks and even to heavy to hitting of feet on the pavement throw me into a migraine)

How long have you been working out? You have to find something you ENJOY doing, if its not jumping jacks or lifting heavy find something else. Maybe it's a brisk walk, slight jog, brisk walk, slight jog, or swimming, or hiking. It takes a good 3-4 weeks (consistently working out 3 or 4 days a week) to get the "high" you are talking about. I also have to push myself to the limit for it to kick in.
  • Garthamatic
    Garthamatic Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    My "high" hits about halfway through my run...

I feel better, things "click" and all of a sudden I slide into my groove.

Even better is the feelings of accomplishment and self-worth that come from exercising regularly and seeing how fit I'm becoming. Weight loss coupled with regular exercise coupled with feeling better about myself changes multiple aspects of my life for the better.

Being a guy, I didn't anticipate the emotional well-being that would come with weight loss and exercise. It's been a nice surprise.