"Lifting Heavy". What does that really mean for women?

Options

Replies

• LoraF83
    LoraF83 Posts: 15,694 Member
    Options
    A question for those squatting much more than 100 pounds: Are you squatting to parallel, or doing partial squats? I'm not wanting to debate the merits of either, just curious.

I've been following the Stronglifts 5x5 for 6 months or so now, and find that once I reach about 95# on my squats, I stop regularly hitting parallel, and have to dial it back to work on my form again. The concept that I might someday get to a 200# parallel squat just seems so far out of reach. If any of you are doing that, it gives me new hope! :)

My working number squats are below parallel. My one rep max was parallel. I don't partial squat because that's not squatting.
  • pastryari
    pastryari Posts: 8,646 Member
    Options
    Tagging to read later.
  • Cadori
    Cadori Posts: 4,810 Member
    Options
    Thank you for this. I'd like to ask for opinions on bodyweight programs like You Are Your Own Gym.

I live in a small town and other than Curves we don't have a gym and the nearest gym is 45 minutes away. That's not feasible for me ATM. I am scouring craigslist for a weight setup, but have seen very little available. I'm still looking, but would like to start in the meantime so I'd like to start with bodyweight, since hey, I got THAT! :laugh:
  • supplemama
    supplemama Posts: 1,956 Member
    Options
    All great suggestions. I got all my stuff for home from Play It Again Sports at a much lower price than new. Barbell, plates, bench, dumbbells.

My suggestion would be get the empty dumbbell bars (Walmart has them) and then buy plates to add. Much better than buying sets of different weight pink or blue ones.

I found my bench, bar and weights on craigslist for $25.

<<<<<<I made my squat rack, from this: http://freckledlifter.wordpress.com/2012/09/11/diy-squat-rack/
    I have the price of a bag of quick dry cement ($1 at Lowes because the corner was torn open) invested in my squat rack.
    [/quote]

This is AWESOME
  • claritarejoice
    claritarejoice Posts: 461 Member
    Options
    Important thread, thanks. I always lol when I read the phrase "heavy lifting" because to me it's just lifting. Progressively increasing weight is the point of weightlifting. I don't think I'm lifting all that heavy right now but I'd like to increase it. I used to lift a lot heavier years ago before I developed some arthritis issues and a recurring muscle spasm in my shoulders that limit a lot of weight exercises. My current stats:

Bench: 45 pounds (I could go heavier but I am trying not to aggravate my shoulder)
    overhead press: 50 pounds
    pendlay row: 50?
    squat: 90 pounds
    deadlift: 100 pounds

I lift at home, no gym. Edited to answer the question of how long I've been lifting: 10 years. But as you can see it's been up and down.
  • claritarejoice
    Options
    A question for those squatting much more than 100 pounds: Are you squatting to parallel, or doing partial squats? I'm not wanting to debate the merits of either, just curious.

I've been following the Stronglifts 5x5 for 6 months or so now, and find that once I reach about 95# on my squats, I stop regularly hitting parallel, and have to dial it back to work on my form again. The concept that I might someday get to a 200# parallel squat just seems so far out of reach. If any of you are doing that, it gives me new hope! :)

I squat ATG - as low as possible, way below parallel. Imagine how a baby squats - like that. Sarauk2sf has a video of her squatting at least parallel, and she is currently squatting 240 pounds - amazingness.
  • mrpurdy
    mrpurdy Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'2" and have been lifting progressively heavier since February. I do Stronglifts 5 x 5, so I'm doing 5 sets, 5 reps of my working weight.

Bench:
    Starting- 45 lbs
    Current- 75 lbs

Squat:
    Starting- 65 lbs
    Current- 135 lbs

Deadlift:
    Starting- 75 lbs
    Deadlift- 135 lbs

OHP:
    Starting- 45 lbs
    Current- 75 lbs (failed to complete all 5 sets, 5 reps at this weight, so trying again this week)
  • jlapey
    jlapey Posts: 1,850 Member
    Options
    What does ATG stand for???

Nevermind, I think I got it. haha

@ss to ground?
  • Cadori
    Cadori Posts: 4,810 Member
    Options

I think it's "*kitten* to ground"
  • claritarejoice
    Options
    I'm 5'2" and have been lifting progressively heavier since February. I do Stronglifts 5 x 5, so I'm doing 5 sets, 5 reps of my working weight.

Bench:
    Starting- 45 lbs
    Current- 75 lbs

Squat:
    Starting- 65 lbs
    Current- 135 lbs

Deadlift:
    Starting- 75 lbs
    Deadlift- 135 lbs

OHP:
    Starting- 45 lbs
    Current- 75 lbs (failed to complete all 5 sets, 5 reps at this weight, so trying again this week)

That is incredible progress ! I have been progressing so slowly and it's frustrating, it's because of my shoulder problems. I just need to do the best that I can for myself and not feel down that my friends are going heavier :)
  • CallMeCupcakeDammit
    CallMeCupcakeDammit Posts: 9,375 Member
    Options
    My suggestion would be get the empty dumbbell bars (Walmart has them) and then buy plates to add. Much better than buying sets of different weight pink or blue ones.

^ this. fixed weight dumbbells are fine for a gym, but it's a waste of money if you plan on using these at home because the lower weighted ones become useless as soon as your muscles adapt past them.

This depends on what you're doing. There are some exercises in NROLFW that require lighter weights, so I was glad I still had them.

Right now I have 25 lbs on my DB's. I'm still having trouble keeping my form on the last couple of reps for push press, but I'm about ready to move up for everything else. I have 1.25 lb plates for in-between, so I'm not moving up 5 lbs at a time. They switch up the exercises each stage, so I don't have progressive numbers for the exercises you listed. This is a great thread, Winner!
  • suelegal
    suelegal Posts: 1,282 Member
    Options
    I'm a small-framed woman with some injuries and joint issues, so there are some exercises for which I use three-pound dumbbells. They are not a waste. I don't like machines, except for the lat machine, cable row, and triceps dip, also the preacher curl and assisted pull up, chin up. I use dumbbells on my shoulders, pecs, triceps and biceps and have never been above 15-pound dumbbells. I had definition. If you want definition, it's rather simple. Don't be fat in that area.

My upper body did get bigger, which is fine. I didn't want my lower body, which holds more fat, to increase so I don't use direct resistance strength training there. This is standard advice for people who are training for basic strength and aesthetics.

I think women should aspire to whatever level of strength and shape they desire. But it is not true that weights don't make you bigger. And I am not talking about professional body builder bulky, just bigger. If a woman is concerned about that she should be informed, not lied to.

Even in men, I prefer, a slim, trim, compact build, not someone who looks muscle-bound. As a woman it's not the look to which I aspire.

All things being equal, building strength and muscle by lifting weights and eating at maintenance will reduce your size. Muscle takes up less space than fat. I presume you are referring to actually having muscle definition rather than fat. If so, then I suppose you might thing you are bigger but measurements do not lie.

No one is telling any lies.
  • mrpurdy
    mrpurdy Posts: 262 Member
    Options

Bench:
    Starting- 45 lbs
    Current- 75 lbs

Squat:
    Starting- 65 lbs
    Current- 135 lbs

Deadlift:
    Starting- 75 lbs
    Deadlift- 135 lbs

OHP:
    Starting- 45 lbs

That is incredible progress ! I have been progressing so slowly and it's frustrating, it's because of my shoulder problems. I just need to do the best that I can for myself and not feel down that my friends are going heavier :)

Thank you! And you're right- don't compare to anyone else. Do your best and forget the rest. :wink:

I also recently discovered that I was eating at a surplus (I had a metabolism test and discovered my RMR was waaay lower than I thought), so I'm sure that has helped with strength gains. :laugh:
  • elleryjones
    elleryjones Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    tagging to read later
  • ZoeLifts
    ZoeLifts Posts: 10,347 Member
    Options

I squat to parallel, sometimes below. It depends on my flexibility for the day.
  • M00NPYE
    M00NPYE Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    bump to read later
  • missADS1981
    missADS1981 Posts: 364 Member
    Options

I think it's "*kitten* to ground"

*kitten* to grass
  • missADS1981
    missADS1981 Posts: 364 Member
    Options

I squat ATG - as low as possible, way below parallel. Imagine how a baby squats - like that. Sarauk2sf has a video of her squatting at least parallel, and she is currently squatting 240 pounds - amazingness.

I always go parallel. I have read that ATG might not be good in the long term but I hear alot of people saying ATG is the best way to go. I used to do ATG now I go to parallel or slightly lower and keep perfect form.
  • BeachGingerOnTheRocks
    BeachGingerOnTheRocks Posts: 3,927 Member
    Options
    I'm a small-framed woman with some injuries and joint issues, so there are some exercises for which I use three-pound dumbbells. They are not a waste. I don't like machines, except for the lat machine, cable row, and triceps dip, also the preacher curl and assisted pull up, chin up. I use dumbbells on my shoulders, pecs, triceps and biceps and have never been above 15-pound dumbbells. I had definition. If you want definition, it's rather simple. Don't be fat in that area.

My upper body did get bigger, which is fine. I didn't want my lower body, which holds more fat, to increase so I don't use direct resistance strength training there. This is standard advice for people who are training for basic strength and aesthetics.

I think women should aspire to whatever level of strength and shape they desire. But it is not true that weights don't make you bigger. And I am not talking about professional body builder bulky, just bigger. If a woman is concerned about that she should be informed, not lied to.

Even in men, I prefer, a slim, trim, compact build, not someone who looks muscle-bound. As a woman it's not the look to which I aspire.

I lost 2 inches off each thigh since starting squats and dead lifts. My weight has gone up slightly, bouncing between 125 and 129 at a size 2-4. My hips and thighs were bigger at 120-125 at a size 4-6 when I wasn't lifting. I'm tallish at 5'7".

Weights aren't making me bigger. They're making me more compact in all the right places.

Just informing people through truth.
  • majobajo
    majobajo Posts: 5
    Options
    Oh wow, this is an excellent post!! Thank you for writing it, that's exactly what I needed to know. ♥