Camping

Options
jnikitow
jnikitow Posts: 334
We are going camping next weekend. I need help with a recipe. I have to cook one dinner for about 15 people. Our friends have a dutch oven we can use.

The problem is that I've never used a dutch oven, cooked outside, or even cooked for this many people. I am not a very good cook to begin with, and have only cooked for my family which is 3 people.

Is there a certain way to season or oil a dutch oven? Are there certain foods that are better to cook in there than others? I think one friend is making a ham and the other pot roast. When it is my turn I have no idea.

Please help!

Thanks

Replies

• VeraciousVAL
    Options
    Like you I wouldn't have a clue, but I did a search on "dutch oven recipes" and this guy seems to know his business, I hope it helps you! You'll do great! http://papadutch.home.comcast.net/~papadutch/
  • jlewis2896
    jlewis2896 Posts: 763 Member
    Options
    On a camping trip last year we did a Dutch Oven chili that was awesome -- and it's easy to make it healthy. I'd say 3 to 4 lbs. of ground turkey, brown in the oven, add a few cans of beans and Ro-Tel tomatoes, let it simmer and you should be good to go.

Try this out for more ideas:

http://www.dutchovendude.com/dutch-oven-recipes.asp
  • Thinwithin2010
    Thinwithin2010 Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    hey serve that chili the way you want to eat it.. maybe add cornbread for those not dieting and even a salad.. dont let the lettuce touch the ice in a cooler though.. I went camping with many a girlscout and we would make pasta and meatballs for about 35 of us.. we had a really big pot and put it directley on the fire pit.(it did have a grate on it) but if you put dish soap all on the outside bottom the black will wash off easy.. good luck..
  • Thaedra
    Thaedra Posts: 52
    Options
    If you are using a cast iron dutch oven it will need to be seasoned after you use it, which just means after you wash it you will rub a little vegetable oil on the inside to keep the surface "non-stick" and prevent it from rusting. (On that note, never soak a cast iron pan. If you can't wash it right away just let it sit and then soak for maybe 5 minutes before washing and it should be fine.)
    As for recipes; dutch ovens are perfect for anything that cooks for long periods of time over lower temperatures. (Pot roast is my FAVORITE use for mine :) I love the chili idea. Any kind of soup or stew is going to work well for you. And a big pot of beans would be a great idea too. Especially over your campfire, they will get some nice smoke flavor.... Oh and beans are a great hearty vegetarian option, with lots of protein and fiber, and zero fat! (As long as you are making them from scratch from dried beans, and not adding any butter, oil, etc...)
    I am a professional Chef, and I work part time in a housewares store so I could go on and on here, but I will spare you for now! :wink: Message me if you need any more advice, and have fun on your trip!!
  • skygoddess86
    skygoddess86 Posts: 487 Member
    Options
    Definatly chili cause you can make it low fat.
  • IceFaith
    IceFaith Posts: 81
    Options
    If it is cast iron don't use soap in it. Some ppl are very picky about that. Soap breaks down the *seasoning* part of the cast iron cookware that causes them not to stick, I think. Hope you have a good time on your camping trip. :)