need something for pms!

Options
Tuala42
Tuala42 Posts: 274 Member
pms emotions driving me batty....having a rough day and really feeling seriously sorry for myself. Gonna start crying over hallmark commercials at this rate. Anything I can take that helps? At least my "comfort food" is coke zero and not a box of chocolates.

Replies

• TwinkieDong
    TwinkieDong Posts: 1,564 Member
    Options
    I heard mydol (spelling?) works well. However just take a breath, a deep breath....drink water, and relax.
  • xvxCelticWandererxvx
    xvxCelticWandererxvx Posts: 2,890 Member
    Options
    A hysterectomy works great! ha ha Oh sorry you want something NOW! Midol along with ibuprofin, drink lots of water and keep up on your supplements. Chocolate covered nuts were also my go to comfort if all else failed. Best wishes to feeling better!
  • elledeery
    elledeery Posts: 866
    Options
    Vast quantities of chocolate and chick flicks!

Just kidding, I don't want to go to MFP hell for encouraging such things!

In all seriousness, I actually agree with jbpi, Midol could help tame your symptoms, drink lots of water, relax, do some yoga and perhaps a trip to your doctor might be worth your while, he/she could help discover any underlying feminine issues that could require a change in birth control if you take any or they may prescribe one to help with your symptoms if Midol doesn't work out.

Good luck! :)
  • peopletalk
    peopletalk Posts: 519 Member
    Options
    i'm the worst when i'm pms'ing

i get emotional, crabby and all i wan't to do is eat junk. honestly, i just let myself indulge for a day or two during my monthly because it makes me feel better.
  • Tuala42
    Options
    thanks..gonna head out for midol asap! Lots of shopping to do anyway, husband got paid extra today, that'll be good therapy!
  • Tuala42
    Options
    Oh, and husband permanently took care of any birth control issues, so no need for pills or hysterectomies....
  • DandelionCupcakes
    DandelionCupcakes Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    My mom always said bananas and avoid caffeine. I have no idea if there's truth to that, but...I do it anyway. -shrug-
  • Some_Watery_Tart
    Some_Watery_Tart Posts: 2,250 Member
    Options
    I take a B-complex supplement and that works wonders for me (and my teenage daughter). I've heard raspberry leaf tea is also a good supplement. Also, a little extra exercise. :) If it's really exceptionally nasty every month (like, "Holy crap, I want to divorce everyone I know and bury them alive" bad), definitely see your doctor.

By the way, I think it's hilarious that the first answer you got was from a man. :huh:
  • kluedesigns
    kluedesigns Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    you should talk with your doctor about the mood swings - if its that bad you don't have to suffer - get some meds
  • xvxCelticWandererxvx
    xvxCelticWandererxvx Posts: 2,890 Member
    Options
    Caffeine helps with pain meds getting into the system faster, or was told that by a nurse anyways.
  • lovelymrsbasham
    Options
    I used to use midol and it helped for about the first two months i took it then it quit working. I find that Pamprin works better than Midol, of course it's different for everyone because everyone's body is different. I personally take pamprin and allow myself little treats during that time because honestly, during that time I feel like I deserve it xP Taking walks and drinking lots of water also helps!
  • Tuala42
    Options
    its a good time for extra treats--its the weekend, and I lost a pound that I didn't need to.

It's also time for a yearly gyn checkup anyway soon, so will remember to mention the symptoms when I go.

Ok, have pulled myself together enough for a serious shopping trip...I'm off--thanks everyone!
  • cscheiern
    cscheiern Posts: 45
    Options
    If you are up for taking supplements, vitex (chasteberry) is for this problem. It is supposed to balance the hormones and help with "female issues". Ive been taking it for about 4 months and I see a little difference, my husband said he sees a difference.
    You can research it and see if it is for you.

*it takes a while to take effect though, its not for immediate relief*
  • ODorisBrucken
    ODorisBrucken Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    For a natural alternative, I found that the herb, Black Cohosh, works for me.
  • iWaffle
    iWaffle Posts: 2,208 Member
    Options
    Oh, and husband permanently took care of any birth control issues, so no need for pills or hysterectomies....

tumblr_lx8yooE0Ee1r68noao1_500.jpg