getting sick

Options
AnneElise
AnneElise Posts: 4,221 Member
I have had some health issues where I have been getting sick and throwing up after some meals. Should I count the calories from that meal still or not?

Replies

• auttyfrmca
    auttyfrmca Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    Just happened to me the other day. Was wondering the same thing.
  • stylistchik
    stylistchik Posts: 1,436 Member
    Options
    I don't know but it reminds me - on my 21st birthday i remember working out really hard so i could essentially eat/drink whatever i wanted that night and I had a bit too much tequila and got really sick and all I remember asking my friend was 'how do I log this??" LMAO :laugh:

that doesn't help but i'll never forget it!
  • simona1972
    simona1972 Posts: 355 Member
    Options
    I had surgery on April 22nd and I've been sick since. I haven't been tracking calories at all. I haven't weighed myself either because I know I'm bloated and puffy and just a mess. My advice - keep track of those cals if you want but don't fret about going over if you do until you're 100% better. I say that only because I have no idea when cals get absorbed by the body.
  • xarrium
    xarrium Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    I don't have an exact answer for you, but I think it depends on how soon after you eat you're getting sick... if it's right after, you'll have less time to absorb calories than if it was like half an hour after eating. I'm assuming that you're seeing a doctor for the issue, so maybe ask the doctor (also ask about supplements you can take to get enough vitamins and minerals on really bad days). I've heard that the body can absorb a lot of calories from food in a short span of time, but obviously all of the calories from what you've eaten aren't being absorbed... maybe log half of the calories to start?
  • sparkles321
    sparkles321 Posts: 107
    Options
    I agree with xarrium, take a guess at it depending on how long you kept it down. Also, while you may not log it in the calorie count, I would absolutely add the foods to your notes. You might find a pattern of foods that you may have sensitivities to.
  • blvddavid
    blvddavid Posts: 1
    Options
    The discussion shouldn't be about how many calories you absorbed. Throwing up is the bodies way of telling you something isn't right. That's what you should be concerned with. The heck with the calories. You said you've had some health issues, so I'm assuming you're under a doctor's care. Let your health care provider know you're dietary intake to ensure it's in line with whatever treatment you may be on.
  • sharondavis14
    Options
    count the calories but most importantly, take care of yourself. see a doctor if you havent already.
  • AnneElise
    AnneElise Posts: 4,221 Member
    Options
    I am seeing a doctor. They are treating me for one thing but I am not sure its helping so I am going back to the doctor next week after the medicine I am currently on is up.

I don't feel sick though for the most part so I am still counting my calories and working towards my goal.

noting the foods is a good idea. thanks!