DEXA Scan?

Options
Not for sure if this is the correct forum for this quesion....
I had a DEXA Scan done last Friday and have tried to figure out the results. The professor at the college where I went to have it done did go over it a little bit with me and gave me a 4 page print out of it. I searched online but only could find stuff about Bone Density on it and this also measures % of tissue and body fat. I have an appointment with my bariatric physical therapist on Monday next week to help me interpret the results but wondered if anyone on here was familar with them? I paid out of pocket for mine and it was only $50. A bargain since they usually run $500 or more to have done. Thanks in advance!

Replies

• SirBonerFart
    SirBonerFart Posts: 1,185 Member
    Options
    I pay full retail price and its 50 dollars
    If someone is charging 500 you should run away

It should just list % fat
    or at least weight of fat and lbm
  • Annerk1
    Annerk1 Posts: 372 Member
    Options

I think you are talking about a different type of test.

A DEXA scan is a series of dual radiation x-rays which determine bone density. They are for early detection of osteoporosis and metabolic bone disorders. They typically cost about $250-350, depending on the imaging center and radiologist who reads the scans.
  • spfldpam
    spfldpam Posts: 738 Member
    Options
    It was only $50 for it at a University about 90 miles from me. Locally they only do bone density and not the fat and tissue. That is why I drove 90 miles one way to have it done.
    Thanks!

• SirBonerFart
    SirBonerFart Posts: 1,185 Member
    Options

A DEXA scan is a series of dual radiation x-rays which determine bone density. They are for early detection of osteoporosis and metabolic bone disorders. They typically cost about $250-350, depending on the imaging center and radiologist who reads the scans.

I know what a DEXA scan is and I've had it done multiple times
    When doing a bodyfat scan they don't have a radiologist read the results they just hand you a print out
    50 dollars locally
  • spfldpam
    spfldpam Posts: 738 Member
    Options
    This was a DEXA scan which is a machine that you lay down on and it scans your body. It shows bone density but also shows % of tissue and % of body fat and other things.
    Many have the machines the professor at the University where I had it done at (SIU-Edwardsville) said but don't use it for the % of body fat and other stuff beside the bone density as was the case when I checked locally where I live. I had to travel 90 miles south one way to get it done.
    Thanks!
    [/quote]

[/quote]
  • pds06
    pds06 Posts: 299 Member
    Options