Cardio VS Running ??

Options
So I've been doing research on different methods of exercise for weightloss and overall health. This sounds silly, but I saw a picture that was being shared on Facebook that basically claimed that running was bad for someone to stick to as their only method of exercise because over time it causes the muscles to deteriorate and scar tissue to form around the heart. There were other bad side effects but I can't quite recall them at the moment.
On the other hand, it claimed that high intensity cardio and weight lifting were much more beneficial because they encouraged fat loss and muscle growth and development.
Has anyone else looked into this argument any? Or does anyone have some educated input?

Thanks!

Replies

• _DaniD_
    _DaniD_ Posts: 2,186 Member
    Options
    On the other hand, it claimed that high intensity cardio and weight lifting were much more beneficial because they encouraged fat loss and muscle growth and development.

It all depends on your goals.

Running is not bad for you & anyone who says it is, is a complete moron.
  • DandelionCupcakes
    DandelionCupcakes Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    So I've been doing research on different methods of exercise for weightloss and overall health. This sounds silly, but I saw a picture that was being shared on Facebook that basically claimed that running was bad for someone to stick to as their only method of exercise because over time it causes the muscles to deteriorate and scar tissue to form around the heart. There were other bad side effects but I can't quite recall them at the moment.
    Has anyone else looked into this argument any? Or does anyone have some educated input?

Thanks!

I think a mix of both is the most beneficial.
  • carrieous
    carrieous Posts: 1,024 Member
    Options
    its always best to have variety in your workout. I did HIIT on the treadmill last night by running at 5.8 for the msot part but every once in awhile bumping it up to 7, 7.5 or 8 for a minute. I only run 2-3 days a week and other times i do stairs or elliptical.

weights are separate, i do those too
  • michellemybelll
    michellemybelll Posts: 2,228 Member
    Options
    ... I saw a picture that was being shared on Facebook that basically claimed that running was bad for someone to stick to as their only method of exercise because over time it causes the muscles to deteriorate and scar tissue to form around the heart. There were other bad side effects but I can't quite recall them at the moment.

BS

that is all.
  • thepetiterunner
    thepetiterunner Posts: 1,238 Member
    Options
    ... I saw a picture that was being shared on Facebook that basically claimed that running was bad for someone to stick to as their only method of exercise because over time it causes the muscles to deteriorate and scar tissue to form around the heart. There were other bad side effects but I can't quite recall them at the moment.

BS

that is all.

^ Ditto. It's obvious the person who posted that FB picture is not a runner.
  • legnarevocrednu
    legnarevocrednu Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    I doubt there is anything bad about running. I dislike it, but when I did the C25K (and even though people say you can't spot reduce) I noticed that my lower belly and thighs got smaller. Haven't noticed that with any other type of exercise yet.
  • Warchortle
    Warchortle Posts: 2,197 Member
    Options
    Cardio is cardio.. outside of heart health cardio in a caloric deficit is all going to do similar things, but the real difference is time and effort involved. My body is not like my friend's he can run 12 miles and feel fine and do it the next day. I can't run more than 5 miles a day even if it's morning and at night. My knees were not made for it. HITT and low intensity steady state cardio are both known for that same "fat burning" effect. Lifting weights also spikes your metabolism for up to 36 hours whereas cardio's after burn lasts substantially less... ~3 hours? In the end, it doesn't really matter if it's a form of exercise that's sustainable, enjoyable, and gives you the results you want.
  • jchenks
    jchenks Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    As mentioned earlier, it does depend on what you goals are. Essentially if your goal is to lose weight both will do that for you, so long as your diet is in check.

I do a mix of both. Steady state cardio for longer periods of time for my "endurance" as I play 90 minute long soccer games and HIIT (sprint intervals specifically) to allow for my bursts of speed and for fat loss.

The more oxygen you're sucking in the more calories you are burning.

A prolonged period of time doing steady state cardio does deterioirate muscle. Hense the look of long distance runners compared to short distance sprinters. (theres a picture floating around somewhere with a great comparison of the two)
  • AllonsYtotheTardis
    AllonsYtotheTardis Posts: 16,947 Member
    Options
    This sounds silly, but I saw a picture that was being shared on Facebook that basically claimed that running was bad for someone to stick to as their only method of exercise because over time it causes the muscles to deteriorate and scar tissue to form around the heart.

I find it best to question 99.9% of the bull**** pictures that people post on Facebook.
  • lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    Options
    You will get answers all over the map for this because there is much published data to both support and refute both sides of the argument and people tend to believe what they want to hear. Bottom line is: Decide what you want to do and do it.
  • _DaniD_
    _DaniD_ Posts: 2,186 Member
    Options
    You will get answers all over the map for this because there is much published data to both support and refute both sides of the argument and people tend to believe what they want to hear. Bottom line is: Decide what you want to do and do it.

I would like to see the data that supports the "running is bad for you" argument.
  • Warchortle
    Warchortle Posts: 2,197 Member
    Options

BS

that is all.

^ Ditto. It's obvious the person who posted that FB picture is not a runner.
    My dad set the track record at University of Illinois and has terrible knees now. I think it's one of those things that's a contributing factor, but not an absolute. Especially when you enter into the "advanced" years of life.
  • lesle1
    lesle1 Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    I'll take running over anything else. : ) I lost 120 pounds from running and I love how it makes me feel.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options

It all depends on your goals.

Running is not bad for you & anyone who says it is, is a complete moron.

This ^^

Based on nothing more than experience, I believe it's not good to stick to just one form of exercise, no matter what it is. A variety of movements that include strength/resistance, cardio, balance and flexibility seems best for overall wellness and fitness.
  • EatClean_WashUrNuts
    EatClean_WashUrNuts Posts: 1,590 Member
    Options
    Cardio...running....One in the same.
  • ducky715
    ducky715 Posts: 38
    Options
    If all you do is run then yes, you can get bad knees, joints, etc. My husband ran a lot, and he got split discs in back from running too much. I think running is great, but take rest days so your body can recover. He didn't rest enough.
  • RunFarLiveHappy
    RunFarLiveHappy Posts: 805 Member
    Options
    I'm a runner... I also lift! (ETA: running = cardio)

???????????? + ???????? = ????????????

See ticker ✅
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options

I would like to see the data that supports the "running is bad for you" argument.

It's the quantity, not running in general.

http://www.active.com/running/Articles/Why-Too-Much-Running-Is-Bad-for-Your-Health
    the health benefits of exercise seemed to diminish among people who ran more than 20 miles a week, more than six days a week, or faster than eight miles an hour. The sweet spot appears to be five to 19 miles per week at a pace of six to seven miles per hour, spread throughout three or four sessions per week. Runners who followed these guidelines reaped the greatest health benefits: their risk of death dropped by 25 percent, according to results published in the journal Medicine & Science in Sports & Exercise.

The effects of long endurance exercise starting to burn muscle mass is well established already, you can look that up regarding any cardio sports, not limited to running. Actually, for most, running too fast for too long is automatically taken care of by the fact it's hard to do. Much easier for cyclists or x-country skiers.
  • lizsmith1976
    lizsmith1976 Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    ALL forms of exercise can be good for you or can be bad for you (if done improperly, for example running too fast or too far too soon).

It depends on your goals though - right now mine are to be a faster swimmer/biker/runner, so that is what I do. If your goal is to lose weight then a mix of both is probably best.

Running is not bad for you in general and don't listen to anyone who says that it is. Finishing my first marathon was one of the happiest days of my life. I run for my life and will be a runner for life :)
  • csuhar
    csuhar Posts: 779 Member
    Options
    It would seem the "scar tissue" matter is related to the study mentioned in this article:

http://running.competitor.com/2012/06/news/how-much-running-is-bad-for-your-heart_54331

However, if you look at the article, they're usually talking about a very high amount of running (multiple marathons per year, plus the associated training) and they don't know where the cut off is as far as how long is too long.