In Defense of Bacon.

Options
porkchopz
porkchopz Posts: 77 Member
* Steps onto soapbox *

I think bacon has been unfairly cast as a dietary enemy. Sure, it's full of unhealthy fat, but a little tiny bit goes a LONG way.

I see bacon as the ambassador of the vegetable kingdom. I have converted my husband from meat 'n white bread eater to veggie lover, partially because of the magic of bacon. 1/2 a slice of the good Niman Ranch applewood smoked thick-cut stuff flavors a HUGE pot of collards, chard or kale. It gets all smokey and savory...and that's the only oil you need. Only adds 35 calories.

I can't remember the last time I sat down to breakfast with 4 or 5 strips of bacon on my plate...that's because I see it as a seasoning, rather than a main course.

I'm about as Northern California, granola, hippie, organic, locavore as it gets...but there's ALWAYS room for bacon in my kitchen, and my spice rack (um, well not literally).

*stepping off soapbox*

discuss.

Replies

• laurenk182004
    laurenk182004 Posts: 1,882 Member
    Options
    woohoo! I love bacon! Great idea to use it as a flavoring...and to think, I eyeballed the bacon section for a good 5 minutes contemplating BLT's at the grocery store tonight, comparing labels and blah blah blah. Never bought any bacon, now I wished I had lol
  • Chelsinicole63
    Chelsinicole63 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    I agree.. Though i eat turkey bacon, which is actually kinda good for you. I believe all "junk food" is okay in moderation
  • questionablemethods
    questionablemethods Posts: 2,174 Member
    Options
    Preach it!
  • cutmd
    cutmd Posts: 1,168 Member
    Options
    I don't eat pork but am a big fan of both beef and turkey bacon. Beef bacon has more fat, so it's more similar to pork bacon. It's great in veggies, and yes I do eat 4-5 pieces of bacon with eggs sometimes (4x40 per slice=160 cals, 300 with eggs). I use the uncured kind without nitrates, so i don't feel bad about it at all.
    I agree, nothing wrong with bacon unless you have a cholesterol or sodium issue.
  • jkohan
    jkohan Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    I don't eat pork but am a big fan of both beef and turkey bacon. Beef bacon has more fat, so it's more similar to pork bacon. It's great in veggies, and yes I do eat 4-5 pieces of bacon with eggs sometimes (4x40 per slice=160 cals, 300 with eggs). I use the uncured kind without nitrates, so i don't feel bad about it at all.
    I agree, nothing wrong with bacon unless you have a cholesterol or sodium issue.

Same here...Trader Joe's uncured nitrate free is pretty good! I eat bacon 2-3x a month and count every fat and cholesterol gram along with calorie. As long as I can "afford" it and it's not every day, I see no issue..and it's yum.
  • porkchopz
    Options

Same here...Trader Joe's uncured nitrate free is pretty good! I eat bacon 2-3x a month and count every fat and cholesterol gram along with calorie. As long as I can "afford" it and it's not every day, I see no issue..and it's yum.

This is what I eat, too. The nitrate free applewood, uncured. SO GOOD.
  • porkchopz
    Options

If my bacon had 40 calories per slice, I'd definitely eat 5 slices at a time! For now, I'm hooked on the 70 cal a piece kind, so I keep it in check.
  • Jlennhikes
    Jlennhikes Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    The real bacon bits are very yummy. They're a great addition for flavoring, and the fat has been mostly rendered out. It's something like 25 calories per tablespoon. Love 'em on baked potatoes, in salads, pasta, and with veggies.
  • July24Lioness
    July24Lioness Posts: 2,399 Member
    Options

I eat both pork and beef bacon, uncured.

Saturated fats are not as bad for us as the government and pharmaceutical companies have led us to believe.........

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/60768-eat-more-fat?hl=eat+more+fat
  • courtney_love2001
    courtney_love2001 Posts: 1,468 Member
    Options
    I freakin' love bacon. Had 3 strips with dinner tonight!
  • DizzieLittleLifter
    DizzieLittleLifter Posts: 1,020 Member
    Options
    HAHAHA :laugh: while I don't *like* bacon and don't eat pork I loved this post and thought this was hilarious. I was reading it aloud to my husband and he was rooting along :laugh: (he's a huge bacon lover).
  • kgasser
    kgasser Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    All I could think about reading this post is that commercial for "beggin' strips" for dogs, where the dog is just hurrying along thinking "bacon, bacon, bacon, bacon, I WANT BACON!" LMAO!

I LOVE bacn bits, 1 bagel thin, 2 wedges Laughing Cow light, 7 grams bacon bits...205 calories! Great breakfast (sometimes lunch, dinner, or snack! Depends on extent of laziness that day!)...How can that be bad????
  • weaklink109
    weaklink109 Posts: 2,831 Member
    Options
    I had to laugh when I saw this post listed on the recent topics page and it was started by "porkchopz.":laugh: I am also a fan of the nitrate-free, uncured Applewood bacon that Trader Joe's sells.

Thanks to Kim for posting the recipe. That sounds delightful..will be trying it soon, but with actual bacon strip rather than the bacon bits.

Unfortunately, this post has got me wishing for a BLT. The fact that I have no tomatoes, or bacon is a slight problem!!:noway: :bigsmile: I am also pretty much out of calories for the night also....Maybe I will dream of bacon tonight!!:yawn: Or else, I will dream of my 3 doggies doing their best imitation of the beggin strips commercial!:laugh: :laugh:
  • Barneystinson
    Barneystinson Posts: 1,357 Member
    Options
    I love bacon and pork belly. I think the only thing that concerns me about the stuff is the high sodium content and the questionable nature of nitrates.

I also (gasp) save the grease and cook with it or use it to cure cast iron pans. A little bit goes a looooong way in a skillet.
  • kgasser
    Options
    I also (gasp) save the grease and cook with it

HOW can you live with yourself????!!!! And you call yourself an MFP'er!!!! Now you are sure to get tons of people telling you how bad you are...and you brought it all on yourself!!! ROFLMAO! :laugh: :laugh: :bigsmile: :laugh: :laugh:
  • kgasser
    Options
    Oops! double post...you must be twice as bad as I thought!!!:wink:
  • weaklink109
    weaklink109 Posts: 2,831 Member
    Options
    Memo to BarneyS..."Grease is the word!!!" LOL

Seriously, you said the magic word-- a "LITTLE." I don't use cast iron cookware, but I remember when my grandmother did, and my mom had a couple of cast iron frying pans that she gave away when they moved, as they were too heavy for her to deal with now that she is in her 90's. You just can't spray "Pam" in one of those...the real thing works best.
  • Michellerw1
    Michellerw1 Posts: 367
    Options
    Moderation is key. I really love bacon and it can give SO much flavor to healthy dishes. I often by the 365 organic uncured bacon. I often put one piece of bacon on a VEGGIE burger (so so so delicious) with lots of mushrooms. We would all go nuts if we did not allow ourselves to indulge a little bit. And nobody wants a bunch of crazy bacon-starved chicks (and dudes) running around!
  • keiko
    keiko Posts: 2,919 Member
    Options
    I just cooked bacon for in a broccoli/cauliflower salad! Like you said a little goes along way in the flavor department!
  • needamulligan
    needamulligan Posts: 558 Member
    Options
    Never thought of bacon that way! Thanks for the revelation. In reference to turkey bacon, check the sodium and/or additives. I've read many times that turkey bacon isn't better for you than real bacon......just more food for thought!