Open-mindedness.... And the lack of it!

Options
2»

Replies

• ItsCasey
    ItsCasey Posts: 4,022 Member
    Options
    I agree that it mostly comes down to goals, as far as what type of exercise to do. If you've achieved your physique goals, and you just want to do something active that you enjoy, then truly, do whatever you want. But there are right ways and wrong ways to go about achieving specific goals like fat loss, strength gains, body recomposition, etc. And there are people on this site who simply don't have a good grasp of science.

I totally respect that someone wants to run as a form of exercise because they enjoy it, and I respect that someone doesn't want to lift weights because they hate it. Fine. But when someone says they don't lift because lifting makes you bigger, that's just factually incorrect. It's not about being open-minded vs. closed-minded. It's about being right vs. being wrong.

It's hard for me to sit idly by and watch someone rant on and on about how you should only lift if you want to look bulky and masculine. There was a time when I had that exact same mindset, and then, fortunately, a good friend convinced me otherwise. His advice did more to change my body in 3 months than dieting and cardio did in an entire year. Lifting truly changed my life, and while I can accept that not everyone is going to enjoy doing it and will naturally gravitate toward something else that is more rewarding for them, I cannot accept people using this community to spread complete falsehoods to people who don't know any better and might be missing out on changing THEIR lives.

So my attitude is not one of "You disagree with me, so you must be silenced." It's one of "You're entitled to your own opinions, but you are not entitled to your own facts."
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options
    I agree that it mostly comes down to goals, as far as what type of exercise to do. If you've achieved your physique goals, and you just want to do something active that you enjoy, then truly, do whatever you want. But there are right ways and wrong ways to go about achieving specific goals like fat loss, strength gains, body recomposition, etc. And there are people on this site who simply don't have a good grasp of science.

I totally respect that someone wants to run as a form of exercise because they enjoy it, and I respect that someone doesn't want to lift weights because they hate it. Fine. But when someone says they don't lift because lifting makes you bigger, that's just factually incorrect. It's not about being open-minded vs. closed-minded. It's about being right vs. being wrong.

It's hard for me to sit idly by and watch someone rant on and on about how you should only lift if you want to look bulky and masculine. There was a time when I had that exact same mindset, and then, fortunately, a good friend convinced me otherwise. His advice did more to change my body in 3 months than dieting and cardio did in an entire year. Lifting truly changed my life, and while I can accept that not everyone is going to enjoy doing it and will naturally gravitate toward something else that is more rewarding for them, I cannot accept people using this community to spread complete falsehoods to people who don't know any better and might be missing out on changing THEIR lives.

So my attitude is not one of "You disagree with me, so you must be silenced." It's one of "You're entitled to your own opinions, but you are not entitled to your own facts."

So what you are saying is that, at some point, you were closed-minded, but you opened your mind to new ideas and it paid off?

Right on!
  • GreenChile3
    GreenChile3 Posts: 65
    Options
    This forum a minute fraction of a big old world and like the real world it is a rich tapestry of differing mindsets and various opinions.

Why everyone can't just be an adult and ignore the things they don't agree with, learn from people they can learn from and refrain from the juvenile nastiness is beyond me.

If everybody looked the same it would be so damn boring.

Totally agree with this!
  • HealthyBodySickMind
    HealthyBodySickMind Posts: 1,207 Member
    Options
    Everyone tells me I'm close minded

Why don't you listen to this, you might like it

You're some hypocrite if you say you don't buy it

I'll tell you right now that I'm never gonna try it

Give me what I want or there's gonna be a riot
  • ItsCasey
    ItsCasey Posts: 4,022 Member
    Options

So what you are saying is that, at some point, you were closed-minded, but you opened your mind to new ideas and it paid off?

Right on!

Yes, exactly. I thought for a second "What if I'm wrong?" and I listened to someone else. And it worked.
  • HealthyBodySickMind
    HealthyBodySickMind Posts: 1,207 Member
    Options

Why don't you listen to this, you might like it

You're some hypocrite if you say you don't buy it

I'll tell you right now that I'm never gonna try it

Give me what I want or there's gonna be a riot

^^^^ Sorry, title just reminded me of an old song.

On a serious note, I came to mfp completely happy with my body and not wanting to change a thing. I had been told a thousand times that I "wouldn't have that perfect metabolism forever" and to "enjoy it while it lasts", and that I'll be "fat and old someday." So anyway, I wanted to track what I ate, learn a bit about how my body ran; knowledge is power and all that. Then I started to read in the forums. I've actually learned a ton in the forums, and links from the forums, and have even changed my health for the better since coming here, even though that was not my original goal. I didn't do that by being close-minded. It's there for folks who want to find it.
  • MCLA4mom
    MCLA4mom Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    I heard it said once to "work so hardon your own self improvement that you don't have time to worry about what other people do". Not bad advice!
  • iggyboo93
    iggyboo93 Posts: 524 Member
    Options
    I heard it said once to "work so hardon your own self improvement that you don't have time to worry about what other people do". Not bad advice!

<<writing this down on a sticky note and posting it on my wall of inspiration>>

BTW - amazing job on the weight loss MCLA4mom! :smile:
  • hippie_spirit
    hippie_spirit Posts: 104 Member
    Options

^ this!
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options

That is not what that means. That means "focus on yourself and concern yourself not with what others do" or at least that is the way I have heard it. I'm talking about people that solicit advice and then decide that they don't like the advice that is given.

If you aren't going to receive it (ALL of it), then you shouldn't ask for it in the forums.
  • pspetralia
    pspetralia Posts: 963 Member
    Options
    I never, ever consider myself an expert. And I'm open to most any idea that someone wants to put forth.

Here is what I do know. This is a fitness site. It's focus is on calorie counting, proper nutrition and exercise. There's a whole lot we can debate in there, but one thing is always true.

Any exercise is beneficial.

So when you come to a fitness site ranting and raving, "I DON'T WANNA LIFT!", well you're in the wrong place. You should lift. You should run. You should ride a bike and swim in the ocean and climb mountains.

You should live your life in the best and biggest way possible.

You want to limit yourself? You don't want to find out what you're capable of? Fine. But don't tout it as a great plan. It's mediocrity. It's laziness and fear of the unknown.

Do the work, achieve your goals, post your success thread. Because actions speak a hell of a lot louder than words.

This!!!!!!