Yet ANOTHER tummy question!

Options
Okay so I know you can't spot reduce certain areas and that beelly fat is mostly to do with diet, which I'm working on, been clean eating the past 2 weeks. I was just wondering what exercises are really good for building muscle and burning fat from the tummy area? I already do cardio twice a week and some light enough weights 3 times a week...

Replies

• JenMc14
    JenMc14 Posts: 2,389 Member
    Options
    You can't "burn fat from the tummy area" through exercise. Your body will get the fuel/fat for your exercise from the bloodstream, and then fat comes off where it comes off from. So, no amount of exercise will make you lose belly fat faster, but planks, leg lifts, Russian twists and doing big, compound lifts will all strengthen your core muscles. As for building muscle, it's really hard to do while eating at a deficit. You may see some gains when you first start, but that evens out. To really develop muscle, you must feed it, which requires eating at a surplus, which will bring fat, hence a bodybuilder's endless life of bulk/cut cycles.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,401 MFP Moderator
    Options
    You can't "burn fat from the tummy area" through exercise. Your body will get the fuel/fat for your exercise from the bloodstream, and then fat comes off where it comes off from. So, no amount of exercise will make you lose belly fat faster, but planks, leg lifts, Russian twists and doing big, compound lifts will all strengthen your core muscles. As for building muscle, it's really hard to do while eating at a deficit. You may see some gains when you first start, but that evens out. To really develop muscle, you must feed it, which requires eating at a surplus, which will bring fat, hence a bodybuilder's endless life of bulk/cut cycles.

This..

Also, I would suggest doing heavy weight training. At least you can do is get stronger. Fat loss is the same if you do low weight or height weight, but you get a lot stronger with heavy weight low rep than low weight high rep.

You just have to give it time though.
  • IMD918
    IMD918 Posts: 49
    Options

YES. THIS.

Btw, cutting cycles suuuuuuuuck.
  • LoraF83
    LoraF83 Posts: 15,694 Member
    Options

She's right :)