Where is my waist/measurements

I measure my waist about 2 inches below my belly button as that is where my pouch is. Where do you measure your waist, above or below?

Replies

• zhvah18
    zhvah18 Posts: 158 Member
    You're waist is above the belly button. It's where your body naturally bends.
  • joleenl
    joleenl Posts: 739 Member
    Everyone's natural waist might be a little different. For most people it is within two inches below your belly button. To be completely sure it is your smallest midsection measurement. Or at least that is my understanding of it.
  • joleenl
    You're waist is above the belly button. It's where your body naturally bends.

Not for me.. it's not. Its below mine.
  • LeahT84
    LeahT84 Posts: 202 Member
    Your hips are a couple inches below your belly button but your true waist is above the belly button near the bottom of your rib cage. Look it up.
  • joleenl
    oops I just googled it and apparently I am deformed and wrong. Other poster is right.

Here's a link:

http://www.wikihow.com/Measure-Your-Waist
  • crlyxx
    crlyxx Posts: 186 Member
    Yeah, what's this about your waist being below your belly button?....I think you're having confusion with your hips, otherwise you're some type of alien-humanoid creature, I'd assume.
  • ItsCasey
    ItsCasey Posts: 4,021 Member
    Your hips are a couple inches below your belly button but your true waist is above the belly button near the bottom of your rib cage. Look it up.

This has been my experience. The narrowest part of my midsection is right below my rib cage, and that is where I take my waist measurement. My belly button is below that.
  • Josalinn
    Josalinn Posts: 1,066 Member
    measurement-chart-1_zps5a576ca1.jpg
  • joleenl
    My belly button is slightly above my waist.... Almost right at my waist that's how slight. I am not an alien but thanks anyways. I have a really long torso though. The natural waist is for most people where they naturally taper in and that's where I taper in.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    When measuring to assess health risks the rule of thumb is approx. 2 inches above the hip bone, which is about 1 in above the belly button on most women (though individual results may vary).
  • SavvyGurl0528
    SavvyGurl0528 Posts: 228 Member
    I must be an alien as well, lol. Right now, my waist (narrowest part of my tummy) is right at my belly button. But I am extremely long waisted. Guess, Joleen and I hail from Mars!
  • zukkiz
    zukkiz Posts: 362 Member
    Mine is right at my belly button also.

My question is, where do we measure the abdomen? I see request for this a lot.
  • joleenl
    Mine is right at my belly button also.

My question is, where do we measure the abdomen? I see request for this a lot.

I really think to use measuring as success indicator depends on the contours of your body. For me, I am pear shaped. For my mid section I measure:

My chest - around the fullest part of my breast. Now I am not chesty so I measure with no bra so I measure the natural full section. But because they are not big (C cup) they do not naturally hang to far down so I am able to do this, as a chesty woman may have to wear a sports bra.

My ribs - right underneath my chest.

My waist - where my body natural tapers in. For me - pretty much at my belly button or a tab bit lower at this point. As I lose weight it seems to change

My abs - my largest part of my "pouch." Again I am pear shaped so for me this was my largest measurement and now it's second largest to my hips. This measurement on my body is between my waist and hips.

My hips - right underneath my "pouch" which on body lines up with my upper hip bones.

I don't know if this helps any, hell I don't even know if I do it right. But I guess as long as you are consistant you can still measure your progress accurately. As an additional note, I measure my thighs at the top or the biggest measurement, and my arms at my bicep or the biggest measurement and same with my calves I measure at the largest part. I measure my neck right at the center piece where the adams apple would be on a guy.... I'm not sure what it's called but it's the hardest part of the front of the neck.
  • zukkiz
    zukkiz Posts: 362 Member
    Thank you, this helps so much. I am pear shaped too.

I did realize or remembered that measuring two inches below your belly button was a good place for abs, which seems to be what you said too.

Hey if we are wrong we are wrong together and being consistent.
  • joleenl
    Thank you, this helps so much. I am pear shaped too.

I did realize or remembered that measuring two inches below your belly button was a good place for abs, which seems to be what you said too.

Hey if we are wrong we are wrong together and being consistent.

If it's just a progress indicator... then being consistent is good enough. You will see the measurements get smaller over time which is what we want, right?
  • ScottishMrs
    ScottishMrs Posts: 254 Member
    I do two measurements. I do the one at my natural waist which is ~2" above my belly button and I do one at my belly button.
  • lioness803
    lioness803 Posts: 325 Member
    measurement-chart-1_zps5a576ca1.jpg

Thank you for this picture!
  • yamsteroo
    yamsteroo Posts: 480 Member
    I do two measurements. I do the one at my natural waist which is ~2" above my belly button and I do one at my belly button.

I do it this way as I can't find my abs at the moment lol