Pedometer vs. Heart Rate Monitor

I know a pedometer tracks how many steps you take and then how many calories you burn. What is the difference with a HRM? Things like painting, is a work out but I can't really track my calories burned with a pedometer. Just looking for some input please.

Replies

• mycrobemini
    mycrobemini Posts: 122 Member
    Pedometers track steps taken. If they're calculating calories burned from that, they are likely doing so based on averages among a population. HRMs track your very own heart rate, and most allow you to enter your stats, so that the calories burned output is directly relevant to you. A HRM monitor will be more accurate overall, but most definitely for non-walk/run type exercise.
  • dym123
    dym123 Posts: 1,670 Member
    I originally got an HRM to track calories burned, but I love being able to track my heart rate while working out. It keeps me accountable, making sure I stay at or above my target heart rate and not just going through the motions.
  • bookstitch
    bookstitch Posts: 86 Member
    Thanks guys! Now..does anyone have any suggestions as to which to purchase? I am on a budget so the price needs to be reasonable.
  • mycrobemini
    mycrobemini Posts: 122 Member
    I have a Polar FT4 and love it. It isn't the fancy kind that automatically uploads to the internet or anything, but it does all the important things. You can get one for ~$60 on Amazon.

The important things to look for are:
    1) chest strap (the kind that read off your wrist are not very accurate)
    2) allows you to input your personal data, so that it has something to work from.
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    HRMs are designed to measure heart rate. Some models also offer a calorie estimation feature. It is based on a known relationship between heart rate and VO2 max during steady state cardio. It not is accurate for low intensity exercises.

A great blog on what you should know before buying or using a HRM
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/Azdak?month=201003
  • Runs4Wine
    Runs4Wine Posts: 416 Member
    I have a Polar FT4 and love it. It isn't the fancy kind that automatically uploads to the internet or anything, but it does all the important things. You can get one for ~$60 on Amazon.

The important things to look for are:
    1) chest strap (the kind that read off your wrist are not very accurate)
    2) allows you to input your personal data, so that it has something to work from.

Another vote for the Polar FT4.

I was gifted a HRM w/o a chest strap and then ended up buying the Polar FT4 with the strap. My old HRM would tell me I burned upwards of 1,000 cals for a 30 minute run - clearly unreliable. Whatever you get, make sure it has a chest strap.