Lawsuit against I can't believe it's not butter!! Eeek

Options
chasetwins
chasetwins Posts: 702 Member
So after seeing someone comment on a post that ICBINB spray actually has a ton of calories per bottle - I did a quick search and oh my..should of known better right?!?!

http://www.fooddive.com/news/labeling-lawsuit-over-i-cant-believe-its-not-butter-reaches-crucial-decis/122855/

Just some FYI for those that swear by it like I do (did!!!!)

Replies

• vixtris
    vixtris Posts: 688 Member
    Options
    is it just the spray or all types of their butters?
  • chasetwins
    Options
    sounds like just the 0 calories sprays
  • KandiKane13
    KandiKane13 Posts: 12
    Options
    WOW....thanks for the info, all I use is spray butter, thinking I was saving on calories & fat...LOL
  • vixtris
    vixtris Posts: 688 Member
    Options
    wow thats pretty bad. Its kind of similar to a spray I use that says 0 calories but you know its not really... lol. Instead of lying to everyone, they should make the portion size bigger, at least to make it say, 5 or 10 calories worth of a spray.
  • chasetwins
    Options
    it was devastating news to me too LOL and I agree they are being sneaky by making the serving size so low to avoid listing the calories :(
  • jamiek917
    jamiek917 Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    MFP has the cals for 25 sprays, which i believe is 20 cals and 2g of fat. i think/hope thats accurate.
  • teamiconic
    teamiconic Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    Here is the break down
    12.5 sprays has 10 calories and 1 gram of fat,
    25 sprays (1 teaspoon) has 20 calories and 2 grams of fat
    37.5 sprays has 30 calories and 3 grams of fat.
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    "I-can't-beleive-it's-a-lawsuit"

and

"I-can't-beleive-I-am-counting-sprays-instead-of-just-eating-the-ten-damn-cals"
  • chasetwins
    Options
    Here is the break down
    12.5 sprays has 10 calories and 1 gram of fat,
    25 sprays (1 teaspoon) has 20 calories and 2 grams of fat
    37.5 sprays has 30 calories and 3 grams of fat.

so sticking to light butter...I refuse to count out sprays LMAO
  • Hadabetter
    Hadabetter Posts: 941 Member
    Options
    Yeah, but a serving is supposed to be 1 spray.

If you thought a label that says "0 Caloires" really meant that it contained no calories, then you aren't familiar with the labeling guidelines. It doesn't mean the company was lying to you. Under the guidelines, less than 1 calories can be listed as 0 calories.
  • dsmpunk
    dsmpunk Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    There are a lot of products out there that do this. Splenda's "no calorie" sweetner comes to mind. It ISNT 0 calories they just exploit the UDSA's definition of calories per serving.

Eat real food :)
  • jodigirl03
    jodigirl03 Posts: 111
    Options
    I have heard this before so I knew it wasn't zero calories. The problem is ppl are taking the spray nozzle off and just pouring it over their bread or vegetables. So yea, whereas who cares about 10 cal's, it could be a few hundred and we all know how that can make a difference.

Here's one for you, .... how is possible for Sobe Lifewater to have zero cal's yet 6 carbs????
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,009 Member
    Options

If you thought a label that says "0 Caloires" really meant that it contained no calories, then you aren't familiar with the labeling guidelines. It doesn't mean the company was lying to you. Under the guidelines, less than 1 calories can be listed as 0 calories.
    And why the lawsuit won't go anywhere imo.
  • MarciMelts
    MarciMelts Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    The last time I looked at a "serving size" for a spray, it was a one second spray. With that, you likely get minimal calories, possibly even enough below 1 calorie to qualify as a zero calorie food. All in all, I'd rather use a heart healthy oil like safflower or olive oil and take the hit for the calories.
  • rduhlir
    rduhlir Posts: 3,550 Member
    Options

And why the lawsuit won't go anywhere imo.

I agree, this is just as bad as McDonald's being sued for hot coffee. Well no *kitten* buttercup, you expected ice cream?
  • dittmarml
    dittmarml Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    "I-can't-beleive-it's-a-lawsuit"

and

"I-can't-beleive-I-am-counting-sprays-instead-of-just-eating-the-ten-damn-cals"

^^This
  • Fozzi43
    Fozzi43 Posts: 2,984 Member
    Options
    Really?

No plastic tasting sh1t for me...I prefer real butter.
  • lilbearzmom
    lilbearzmom Posts: 600 Member
    Options
    What kind of idiot takes the top off and pours it over food? For that matter, who the heck sprays one serving of food with even 10 sprays? I think the product works fine for people who are smart enough to read labels....
  • darrensurrey
    darrensurrey Posts: 3,942 Member
    Options
    http://www.icantbelieveitsnotbutter.com/product/detail/129811/i-can-t-believe-it-s-not-butter-original-butter-spray

"I Can’t Believe It’s Not Butter!® Spray contains 0g fat and 0 calories per 5 sprays."

How many sprays do you need and what would you use it for?
  • CrazyTrackLady
    CrazyTrackLady Posts: 1,337 Member
    Options
    Ingredients in ICBINB:

United States

The United States ingredients for the current Original Spread variety are:[8]

Vegetable Oil Blend (Liquid Soybean Oil, Non-Hydrogenated Soybean Oil, Liquid Canola Oil)
    Water
    Natural Sweet Cream Buttermilk
    Salt
    Natural Soy Lecithin
    Vegetable Mono and Diglycerides
    (Potassium Sorbate, Calcium Disodium EDTA) Used to Protect Quality
    Citric Acid
    Natural and Artificial Flavors
    Vitamin A (Palmitate)
    Beta Carotene (For Color)

Ingredients in butter:
    Pure cream