TDEE method...does it work?

Options
I have been reading about this TDEE method of calculating calories. I just learned about it from my personal trainer who I like but I never like to take diet advice from a personal trainer because I have had bad luck with that in the past. Is it a load of crap or does it really work? I try to eat at 1500 calories a day but I am just too hungry. I need to lose 70-80 lbs.

Replies

• rmtuesley
    rmtuesley Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Works for me just as well or better than 1200 calories did. I plateaued on 1200 after I lost about 10 pounds. I started eating between 1800 and 2000 depending on my workouts and started losing again. I am only about 20 pounds from my goal so am losing between 1 and .5 a week. I am sooooo much happier!
  • Phrick
    Phrick Posts: 2,765 Member
    Options
    Works for me. Eating 1900-2000 cal/day I have lost 33 pounds so far in just over 2 months. I keep bumping it UP actually because the weight seems to be falling off too fast, but my body is determined :laugh:.
  • larovers
    larovers Posts: 100
    Options
    wow, okay. What is the best way to calculate it and how do you make it work with MFP? I guess you have to custom set your calories or something, right?
  • peleroja
    peleroja Posts: 3,979 Member
    Options
    Doesn't work for me, even with an underestimated activity level (I have a Fitbit One and know that I'm at least lightly active every day, so I've tried it there and at sedentary.) I maintain at TDEE -20%, and I weigh and measure absolutely everything and track calories extremely carefully. I may have ruined my metabolism with too many years of disordered eating (heavy restriction alternated with binge/purge mostly), though, as the vast majority of posters here seem to be very successful with the method.
  • Phrick
    Phrick Posts: 2,765 Member
    Options
    I'm not home at the moment but search for "IPOARM" or In Place Of A Road Map, there are a couple different variations of it but any of them make a great starting point.
  • trogalicious
    trogalicious Posts: 4,583 Member
    Options
    short answer? yes.

long answer? absolutely.

longer answer? abso-yes-lutely.
  • ApexLeader
    ApexLeader Posts: 580 Member
    Options
    of course it works, unless you are overestimating your tdee to the point that 20% subtracted from your baseline is in reality at or above your maintenance calories

not a problem if the tdee you are using for your calculations for daily caloric intake is decently close to your actual biological tdee
  • larovers
    Options
    I just don't understand if this work so well, why is weightwatchers and all these other diets using the same 1200 calorie thing.....is it something new?
  • LouiseDavis65
    LouiseDavis65 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    It has absolutely worked for me!
    http://scoobysworkshop.com/calorie-calculator use this to figure out your TDEE

I upped my calories about a month ago - log everything I eat every day - and have gone down 7.5 pounds since!
  • DanaHerro
    DanaHerro Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    it's TOTALLY working for me.
    I used the method in the in place of a road map post.

I eat 1650 calories per day - that's my TDEE minus 20%
    I also make SURE that I net 1200 calories after exercise...so if i exercise and burn more than 450 then I make sure I eat those calories back.

I have lost 24 lbs since Feb 11 using this method. I',m averaging around 1.5 lbs/week. The weeks that I've eaten closer to 1200-1400 calories/day I either don't lose or I lose less. The weeks I REALLY hit the 1650 every day, I have lost even 2.8-3 lbs/week!!!
    Started at 216, and my first big goal is 175....then 160 after that.

Here's the link!
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/654536-in-place-of-a-road-map-2-0-revised-7-2-12
  • originalcookiemonster
    Options
    Works for me. I'm 5'3 and eating 2200. Find the In Place of a Road Map 3.0 and give that a read for some additional info. Hopefully will make you feel more comfortable. I feel your insecurity with trainer advice but the TDEE method is effective and smart. :)
  • originalcookiemonster
    Options
    I just don't understand if this work so well, why is weightwatchers and all these other diets using the same 1200 calorie thing.....is it something new?

Because they can continue to make money when people continue to use their service wondering why it isn't working. They stop making money when you can succeed on your own.
  • WendyBlendy
    WendyBlendy Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    Yes....I reached a plateau with 1200 calories and now am using the TDEE. It has helped so much!
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,134 Member
    Options
    It's working for me. I have it set up on MFP using moderately active for my activity level which is pretty close to what I burn according to my Fitbit. I found upping my activity level gives a flat number each day to work with. Just remember using TDEE - % (whatever % that is), you don't eat back your exercise calories.
  • almc170
    almc170 Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options
    Assuming you have a reasonably accurate estimate of your TDEE and actual calorie intake, then yes.
  • Flowers4Julia
    Flowers4Julia Posts: 521 Member
    Options
    works for me! check out the link above for details.
  • larovers
    Options
    is this a new method or something? why have I never heard about this before? How fast is the weight loss to be expected? Also, my trainer said I need to eat some exact ratio of protein to carbs every meal...is that true for it to work? that seems like a lot of work. The easier the better for me. So here are my questions:

1. What is a fitbit? Is this something I need?

2. What is the most accurate way to calculate my TDEE for weightloss?

3. How do I make that work with MFP (the whole net calories thing is so confusing)? Do I set custom calorie goals or what?
  • trogalicious
    trogalicious Posts: 4,583 Member
    Options
    is this a new method or something? why have I never heard about this before? How fast is the weight loss to be expected? Also, my trainer said I need to eat some exact ratio of protein to carbs every meal...is that true for it to work? that seems like a lot of work. The easier the better for me. So here are my questions:

1. What is a fitbit? Is this something I need?

2. What is the most accurate way to calculate my TDEE for weightloss?

3. How do I make that work with MFP (the whole net calories thing is so confusing)? Do I set custom calorie goals or what?

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/974889-in-place-of-a-road-map-short-n-sweet

take time, read that through and through.
  • larovers
    Options
    I have a very sedentary job (at desk all day long) .....oh and here is my workout schedule:

Monday: walk my dogs for 1 hour- moderate to fast pace
    Tuesday: Workout with trainer for an hour, she does metabolic training so very intense (dripping with sweat)
    Wednesday: same as Monday
    Thursday: same as Tuesday
    Friday: same as Monday and Wednesday
    Saturday: go to gym and workout on cardio/weight machines for 1 1/2 hours
  • Some_Watery_Tart
    Some_Watery_Tart Posts: 2,250 Member
    Options
    short answer? yes.

long answer? absolutely.

longer answer? abso-yes-lutely.

^^ This.