Vacation

How does everyone deal with going on vacation, especially when you can't cook meals yourself? I am nervous about going to restaurants all the time and not knowing how many calories I am consuming!

Replies

• sweetzoejane
    sweetzoejane Posts: 153 Member
    I take a vacation, enjoy myself, and don't worry about it.
  • JonathanBB
    JonathanBB Posts: 252 Member
    A few suggestions:

If you can access the internetand check the menus in advance you can check out roughly the calories and nutritional information of the different options in advance.

If you really enjoy fancy dinners on vacation make extra healthy choices for breakfast, lunch and snacks to balance it out.

Keep up or expand your exercise regimen. I work at a desk most of the day and one of the things I enjoy on vacations is the increased physical activity so extra calories burned means you need to consume more calories for fuel.

Eat good tasting nutritious meals and enjoy a mental break from counting calories for a bit, then become roaring back recharged and revitalized when you come back from vacation.
  • MelsAuntie
    MelsAuntie Posts: 2,833 Member
    Vacation? Vacation?.....It seems that was something we used to do, one week a year, back before we retired. Haven't had a vacation in years.
  • khall86790
    khall86790 Posts: 1,100 Member
    I take a vacation, enjoy myself, and don't worry about it.

^ this.
    I just make sure as soon as it's over I go back to my routine.
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    I still try to workout while I am away. Running is a great way to see a place, so its not usually hard. Plus hotels usually have a gym.

As for eating, half the reason I go away is to try nice restaurants. I'll have a "good" breakfast and lunch. Most of the foods I eat I have a pretty good grasp on the nutrition. For one meal, usually supper, I eat whatever I want and enjoy it.
    Depending on the vacation, you are usually more active anyway which helps to balance out. WHen I get home I avoid the scale for a bit and go back to "normal" eating
  • storm15918
    storm15918 Posts: 88 Member
    I would just let yourself take a break and relax. I'm going out of the country on vacation in a week and I've been having the same concerns, and that's what I plan to do. I figure since I'll be really busy and active I'll probably burn whatever I eat, and I'm going to try to make good choices too, like salads instead of burgers, etc. But either way, a vacation is a time to relax and treat yourself so don't stress about it! And even if you do gain a few pounds, at least it'll have been worth it, right? The way I see it, this is a change for life, and so I can't let it stop me from having fun and enjoying myself. If that means I add a pound or two then that's ok, as long as I get back on track when I get home. Besides, what will most likely happen is you'll just maintain and have a good time! And who knows, maybe you'll even keeping losing! It doesn't matter, just go and have fun :smile:
  • mmddwechanged
    mmddwechanged Posts: 1,687 Member
    Last vacation I tracked. Worked out I was eating almost 3000 calories a day but the weight gain from even that was minimal. I guess for me it would depend how long my vacation is. If it was just a week it wouldn't really matter what I did.
  • RedHotRunner
    RedHotRunner Posts: 850 Member
    I pack my running shoes.

I also order carefully off the menu, opting for seafood, appetizer sized salads and appetizers.

I don't use vacation as an excuse to pig out, though I do use it as an excuse to drink fou-fou drinks :drinker:
  • gaylynn35
    gaylynn35 Posts: 854 Member
    Enjoy yourself and don't worry about anything!!! Get back to it when you get back!
  • thoseblueeyes
    thoseblueeyes Posts: 812 Member
    I have this same concern since I will be on back to back vacations for 3 weeks. I plan working out everyday and I plan on doing a lot of walking. I also went online and wrote down caloires of my favorite places I like to eat. This way I know ahead of time how many calories are in those meals. Good luck my friend I hope we both will report no weight gain.....:smile:
  • writetomab
    writetomab Posts: 226
    Just got back from vacation myself and like most have said... It's a holiday for a reason... Just chill out, eat good food, drink and enjoy. Then get back on it big time when you are back. I did go for a coupe of runs on the beach but that's because I really enjoy it and miss working out. If you want to eat healthy stick to meat and veg and you can't go wrong!
  • shuki_cotren
    shuki_cotren Posts: 328 Member
    When I travel for work, I get a hotel room with a refrigerator and a microwave and instead of going out to eat, I go to the local grocery store.

However, on a vacation you might want to enjoy yourself more... look for restaurants that have healthy options. Go to their websites and pick what you are going to eat/drink BEFORE you go to the restaurant. If you dig around, you'll find the nutrition info for the menu items that you pick.

That way you can log the food and see if you'll still meet your calorie goal before even going to the restaurant! That's what I do when I make a plan in advance about where I'm going.