BREASTFEEDING AND DIET

Options
Not as in dieting but eating a healthy diet :)
Anyone in my boat? My son is 8 mos old...

Just started my 25 days clean eating on the first, creating an exercise plan. Currently weigh 180 after gaining 40+ during pregnancy, the most I have EVER weighed. Goal weight is 145 which is what I was when I felt best :)

I honestly am starving, almost constantly.... I think its the breastfeeding.

Replies

• 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    Pro - tip - if you search breastfeeding under the food tab it will give you a negative calorie adjustment. You should be eating extra if you are breastfeeding. :smile:

(I have not kids, just spend a lot of time here)
  • Morninglory81
    Morninglory81 Posts: 1,190 Member
    Options
    Breast feeding takes 500-750 cal daily you need to adjust your diet to include these extra calories so your supply is constant. Think of it ad a 500-750 cardio session so eating back those calories don't affect your weight loss goals
  • mdbverd
    mdbverd Posts: 14
    Options
    Oh wow ok, I knew it burned cals but wasnt sure how many! No wonder Im always hungry, Ive been drinking lots of water to help keep myself full
  • mdbverd
    mdbverd Posts: 14
    Options
    I thnk I'll add some more protein
  • JenniferAntolik
    Options
    I was just on here trying to figure out how to incorporate breastfeeding/pumping into my weight loss plan because I was really successful with mfp last summer after my son was born. . . now I have another son and I am nursing AND pumping and I feel like I am famished around the clock and all I do is eat :-/ It is AWFUL. So, back to you, it burns TONS of calories- 20 calories per ounce of milk is what the baby takes in- SO, that is your body's output, plus whatever energy your body uses to create that milk. Most babies over 6 months old are eating about 30 ounces a day, which would be an extra 600 calories (minimum) your body is burning per day. Your body also tries to hang onto fat that you gain during pregnancy (usually in your belly) to help create quality breast milk if you don't eat well, so it is difficult to lose that when you are nursing, because your body naturally wants that fat there.
  • jqh23
    jqh23 Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    I am still currently nursing my 21 month old son, at least once a day. I did some research and found that 20 calories per oz is the way to go. It is important to maintain a healthy diet while nursing. Oatmeal is a GREAT breakfast that will even help with your milk production! Try and eat shortly before or after you nurse to keep your body caught up with what is going out. Hummus is a great source of protein that is a quick & easy snack option. Wrap a piece of chicken with hummus around a large romaine lettuce and you have a low-cal healthy, filling snack that is packed with protein! I have found that eating smaller meals throughout the day work better when breastfeeding because it keeps you from feeling so hungry, especially right after a feeding. Also, get a good cup with a straw and keep it next to you to drink while you are nursing. I always get really thirsty and when I was pumping at work, I found if I drank water while pumping, it would help my output.

The key to losing weight while breastfeeding is to not drop too much too fast because baby needs your fat!