Protein Shakes

kmard81
kmard81 Posts: 212 Member
I just bought my first jar of Optimum Nutrition Whey Protein (double rich chocolate). Now I need some info/ideas. I have been drinking it after my runs (3 days a week). I have added peanur butter (which was good), I tried adding a banana (which was gross!) How can I make these yummier but keep the cals down?

Replies

• ahamm002
    ahamm002 Posts: 1,690 Member
    The banana was gross? really? Try making a smoothie using the protein powder, 2% milk, and frozen berries next time. Then add a banana to the blender and taste how awesome your smoothie is!

Of course, if you make the protein shakes too yummy they end up being high calorie. So when I'm trying to cut calories, I find it's just easier to mix the powder with some water and chug it fast.
  • ChelseaRW
    ChelseaRW Posts: 366 Member
    I add 2 TBS of Hershey's Dark Cocoa, adds fiber, better flavor and about 20 cals. My favorite way is Ice, protein powder, almond milk, 1/2 an avocado, cocoa, and flax seed. Smooth, chocolatey, and creamy with a little bit of texture..but not so low cal!!
  • apaleous
    apaleous Posts: 6
    You can try Fage greek yogurt, 0 fat and will give you even more protein.

orange juice which will replenish your carbs after the run.

coconut oil
    flax seeds
    almond milk, low calorie and the taste is amazing

There is tons of options.
  • freebirdjones
    freebirdjones Posts: 237
    I don't like the taste in smoothies (nor do I really anytime anyway) so I grab a regular sized glass and put a bit of almond milk and mix it and chug it as fast as I can. It's not bad but I don't want it in my huge smoothie I want to enjoy. So after I'm done chugging it I have my smoothie :) I don't know if it's bad to have a smoothie after a protein drink but I just hated it in my smoothie.:P
  • cutiemexiz
    cutiemexiz Posts: 31 Member
    I make a super easy shake with 1 scoop of protein ( 1.5 if I'm not going to eat something for more than 3 hours), 1/2 or 1 banana or any 1/2 cup of frozen fruit, 1 cup of skim or soy milk or any milk you like really, and a cap full of vanilla extract. It tastes yummy and lasts for a while :)