Late Night Running

Options
ArchangelMJ
ArchangelMJ Posts: 308 Member
I'm pretty new to running and I'm finding that I'm increasingly enjoying it after just hating the mere thought of it in the past. I especially love to run at night, late at night. Like 3 am, lol. I know it's probably not the wisest thing to do as a girl, but I do it anyway. :ohwell: Does anyone else prefer being out in the crisp darkness? Do you think it's poo brain for women to do that?

Replies

• splitdog79
    splitdog79 Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    I prefer to do pretty much anything I'm able to do at night. Shopping, exercise,etc...

Nothing like being able to get what you need done and barely seeing anyone else. Makes you feel like the last person on Earth sometimes.
  • michellemybelll
    michellemybelll Posts: 2,228 Member
    Options
    3am is morning time for me. i tend to head out on my 12+ milers around 4:30-5am, but i've gone as early as 3:45-4am, and as late as 6-6:30am (depending on the day, how i'm feeling, how i've slept..). i find it really peaceful, actually. sometimes i get spooked, but i just tell myself i'm being silly and keep running. possibly not the smartest move, but i figure meh. what will be, will be.
  • onwarddownward
    onwarddownward Posts: 1,683 Member
    Options
    I'm in Pittsburgh. I'd get arrested if seen running at 3 am.
  • TX_Thundercat
    TX_Thundercat Posts: 2,437 Member
    Options
    I go running late at night quite often and I have been violated only a handful of times...
  • onwarddownward
    onwarddownward Posts: 1,683 Member
    Options
    It's the perfect night here, 65, clear, quiet. Too bad I'm a swimmer, not a runner.
  • highheeldiva01
    highheeldiva01 Posts: 1,206 Member
    Options
    I usually go to the track and run at about 10 or 11pm. and i love it!!!! the best time to run in my book!!! Ijust always make sure i have my cell phone with me!
  • VeganSurfer
    VeganSurfer Posts: 383 Member
    Options
    :bigsmile: No worries here (sleepy village in the English countryside)
  • splitdog79
    splitdog79 Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    I'm in Pittsburgh. I'd get arrested if seen running at 3 am.

Sheesh, just another reason I'm thankful for small towns I guess :)
  • lbmore33
    lbmore33 Posts: 1,013 Member
    Options
    wouldnt dare....am runner anytime 6am.....
  • crazy4lulu
    crazy4lulu Posts: 822 Member
    Options
    i consider that early morning running. i have done it... but i prefer 4 am instead. i dont know the reasoning behind it but i just find that time the best.
  • bearkisses
    bearkisses Posts: 1,252 Member
    Options
    I'm pretty new to running and I'm finding that I'm increasingly enjoying it after just hating the mere thought of it in the past. I especially love to run at night, late at night. Like 3 am, lol. I know it's probably not the wisest thing to do as a girl, but I do it anyway. :ohwell: Does anyone else prefer being out in the crisp darkness? Do you think it's poo brain for women to do that?

just do it in bright lit up areas. and bring a whistle. or some pepper spray!!!
  • Noxgear
    Noxgear Posts: 1
    Options
    Heck yeah! Running at night is great for you for many reasons!!

1) Pollution levels are a lot lower (running during the day by a busy road can be like smoking a few cigarettes).
    2) The two hormones which are important for energy metabolism (cortisol and thyroptopin) peak in the evening
    3) Body temperature is at its highest at night, with joints and muscles being 20 per cent more flexible.

But don't underestimate the need for being safe. Head lamps are nice, but grab one of the Tracer360 vests from Noxgear, that'll be all you need.
    SC