Body Media

Options
Hi all..just looking for friends who are using the Body Media. I just started using it Thursday and I think it's safe to say I might be obsessed with it already haha! Send me a friend request!

Replies

• SuMcP
    SuMcP Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    Hi - I'm in the UK where we can only get old versions, but I have just ordered a Body Media Link from the States via ebay. I'm really near to my goal and hope it will help me to maintain, or even lose a few extra pounds to get me well into the healthy weight range rather than right at the top. Have you synced yours with MFP? How are you getting on with it? I love gadgets and I think it will probably love it! Do send me a friend request if you'd like to catch up regularly, I only keep a few MFP's and take a real interest in how they are getting on. :flowerforyou:
  • Tammyrph
    Tammyrph Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    you can add me or even better ill add you.. I use it and love it. have noticed some glitches that i have to work around with it and have to contact body media support about it but overall its been the #1 best motivator for me in my journey since i got it one month after starting this journey in January. I drop faster with it than i did without it!
  • tahinilove
    tahinilove Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    Hi, I've just got a bodymedia too! I'm trying to build muscle so actually eat in surplus but if these number are right I have a lot of eating to do!
  • pobalita
    pobalita Posts: 741 Member
    Options
    I've been using mine for over a year and I love it! It definitely keeps me motivated and honest. Besideds MFP, I'm linked to walgreens, earndit, and everymove so I earn discounts, gift cards, and prizes for using it as well.
  • jaz050465
    jaz050465 Posts: 3,508 Member
    Options
    Hi - I'm in the UK where we can only get old versions, but I have just ordered a Body Media Link from the States via ebay. I'm really near to my goal and hope it will help me to maintain, or even lose a few extra pounds to get me well into the healthy weight range rather than right at the top. Have you synced yours with MFP? How are you getting on with it? I love gadgets and I think it will probably love it! Do send me a friend request if you'd like to catch up regularly, I only keep a few MFP's and take a real interest in how they are getting on. :flowerforyou:

Hi. Just checking you've looked into this. Do you know you can only log into BMF website if you have a bank account with a USA address. You can't use the Kifit website for the link as its not licensed in Europe
  • tahinilove
    tahinilove Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    I've been using mine for over a year and I love it! It definitely keeps me motivated and honest. Besideds MFP, I'm linked to walgreens, earndit, and everymove so I earn discounts, gift cards, and prizes for using it as well.

Do you find it accurate?
  • timberowl
    timberowl Posts: 331 Member
    Options

Do you find it accurate?

I have all the same links--love the Walgreens ones. I've already requested that CVS and Starbucks do the same thing! I won't hold my breath but I'll sure cross my fingers!!!!
  • mummum2
    mummum2 Posts: 415 Member
    Options
    Hi, I have had mine for almost a year now (UK), it's a really excellent device and I truly believe I have done massively better with eating, working out and more importantly being accountable with the KiFit! add me if you wish!
  • pobalita
    Options
    I think it is very accurate as long as I log my foods well. In general, my calorie deficit (or overage) matches my weight loss (or gain) very well.
  • mackemom
    mackemom Posts: 277 Member
    Options
    Hi,
    Add me. Using Bodymedia in conjunction with this site. I love how they can be tied together now.
  • pobalita
    Options

Do you find it accurate?

I have all the same links--love the Walgreens ones. I've already requested that CVS and Starbucks do the same thing! I won't hold my breath but I'll sure cross my fingers!!!!

I actually won something on EarndIt. A $50 gift card to one of their partners. I got an absolutely free hydration pack.

BodyMedia has been awesome in responding to their customer's requests. I can't believe how far they have come in a year - from a rudimentary food log with a glitchy phone app to now wireless data uploads and plenty of apps to link to. I love that they added MFP because it makes logging food 10X easier - I am much better at logging now, especially since I can use the barcode scanner.

You should google the upgrade they are coming out with in August.....you can swim with it, you have options for heart rate monitor, and best of all it's smaller and PRETTY!
  • The_WoIverine
    The_WoIverine Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    I've encountered an issue with BodyMedia which none of the customer support representatives have been able to convince me this issue is normal.

What this BodyMesia won't tell you is, that their stupid system is not 90% accurate as they claim. Basically, the Device Manager will calculate, based on your previous data, an estimate of calories burn during the times you don't wear the armband. That's my issue and this is exactly where I call it false advertising.

To use an example, if for 3 months I've been actively wearing the armband, working in the construction field, and working out 1 hour a day, my calories burned will be very high, so if for one week I'm injured or sick and I lay down in bed, not wearing the armband, the Device Manager will use the data from those previous 3 months and calculate an estimate for that week of complete inactivity. Is this really accuracy? Of course is not.

How did I find out about this issue? Well, after using the armband during the day I liked to download all the data to the Device Manager to bring the armband to 0 and put the armband back on only at the time I would start my workout. Let me mention to you, that the armband will turn on itself once it makes contact with the skin making a series of beeps, and it will turn off with another series of beeps once you take it off. Anyways, one day after waiting approximately 30 minutes since I downloaded the data to the time I was going to workout, I decided to plug the armband back to the computer and I noticed it was showing new calories burned. I tried this again in different occasions and did the same thing. So my idea of using the armband only during the workout to calculate how many calories I would burn during the specific workout wasn't going to work if the Device Manager was adding calories I didn't burn or calories burned based on previous data.

I've contacted their customer support in more than one occasion and apparently there's nothing they can do. So on top of the price of the device and the need to pay for a subscription, I'm not going to get an accurate reading in the most important moment of all, which is when I workout, unless I also buy their display item? Not worth it at all.

So for those of you who have one, be careful now that you know this and not trust 90% the numbers this thing is displaying for you. Of course, unless you don't mind having calories calculated for you when you don't wear the armband.
  • mjl54
    mjl54 Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    I've encountered an issue with BodyMedia which none of the customer support representatives have been able to convince me this issue is normal.

What this BodyMesia won't tell you is, that their stupid system is not 90% accurate as they claim. Basically, the Device Manager will calculate, based on your previous data, an estimate of calories burn during the times you don't wear the armband. That's my issue and this is exactly where I call it false advertising.

To use an example, if for 3 months I've been actively wearing the armband, working in the construction field, and working out 1 hour a day, my calories burned will be very high, so if for one week I'm injured or sick and I lay down in bed, not wearing the armband, the Device Manager will use the data from those previous 3 months and calculate an estimate for that week of complete inactivity. Is this really accuracy? Of course is not.

How did I find out about this issue? Well, after using the armband during the day I liked to download all the data to the Device Manager to bring the armband to 0 and put the armband back on only at the time I would start my workout. Let me mention to you, that the armband will turn on itself once it makes contact with the skin making a series of beeps, and it will turn off with another series of beeps once you take it off. Anyways, one day after waiting approximately 30 minutes since I downloaded the data to the time I was going to workout, I decided to plug the armband back to the computer and I noticed it was showing new calories burned. I tried this again in different occasions and did the same thing. So my idea of using the armband only during the workout to calculate how many calories I would burn during the specific workout wasn't going to work if the Device Manager was adding calories I didn't burn or calories burned based on previous data.

I've contacted their customer support in more than one occasion and apparently there's nothing they can do. So on top of the price of the device and the need to pay for a subscription, I'm not going to get an accurate reading in the most important moment of all, which is when I workout, unless I also buy their display item? Not worth it at all.

So for those of you who have one, be careful now that you know this and not trust 90% the numbers this thing is displaying for you. Of course, unless you don't mind having calories calculated for you when you don't wear the armband.
    I wear mine 23 hours a day every so I don't have that problem but that is great to know. I did know that they aren't 100% accurate but it works great for me.

feel free to add me if anyone likes.
  • pobalita
    Options

This is not a problem if you use the Link and phone app. There is a tab on there just for workouts. You press the "quick start" button when you start your workout and and shut it off when you are done. It will give you the time, steps, calorie burn, and activity level of only the time selected.
  • mjl54
    mjl54 Posts: 127 Member
    Options

Do you find it accurate?

I actually won something on EarndIt. A $50 gift card to one of their partners. I got an absolutely free hydration pack.

BodyMedia has been awesome in responding to their customer's requests. I can't believe how far they have come in a year - from a rudimentary food log with a glitchy phone app to now wireless data uploads and plenty of apps to link to. I love that they added MFP because it makes logging food 10X easier - I am much better at logging now, especially since I can use the barcode scanner.

You should google the upgrade they are coming out with in August.....you can swim with it, you have options for heart rate monitor, and best of all it's smaller and PRETTY!
    Last year I had a Bodybug that synced with my iPhone and that was terrible im glad they are better now. I like the interface on the bodymedia better and this one works wonderful
  • rmtuesley
    rmtuesley Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    This probably won't help you, but the link has a workout feature on the phone app that only measures your workout. I just press start on my phone when I start working out, and then stop it when I am done. Someone who is looking into which to buy might find this usefull. I actually like the feature that it "gets to know you". I like that it is estimating my calories while I am charging it, or if I am going out and don't want to wear a big armband.
  • jaz050465
    Options

It's designed to be worn most of the day. To find out calories burned in any time period- you use the slider on the activity manager. Am I being thick- I don't understand your problem. You can't use it incorrectly and then complain it doesn't work.
  • CatMcCheesey
    CatMcCheesey Posts: 143
    Options

No device is going to be accurate if it is not used in the manner prescribed. Bodymedia is the most accurate device of it's kind for calculating calories burned and has published clinical trials that back up the manufacturer's claims. It's also the only device of it's kind to be certified by the FDA as a medical device. For me, it's been very helpful (no more 'am I eating enough or eating too much' guessing games.) and it's worth every penny for the data I get back from it.
  • The_WoIverine
    The_WoIverine Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    It's designed to be worn most of the day. To find out calories burned in any time period- you use the slider on the activity manager. Am I being thick- I don't understand your problem. You can't use it incorrectly and then complain it doesn't work.

Use it incorrectly? I may have to disagree. The device is supposed to work while you wear it, not assume calories burned while you don't wear it. There are infinite possibilities why I wouldn't wear the device. From working in areas where any electronic device is not permitted to having to stop wearing it for a temporary skin condition, etc. So while BodyMedia suggest to wear the device all the time, they also say the accuracy depends on you wearing it all the time, which doesn't justify the fact it calculates calories behind your back while not wearing the device.

You want to blame me on me for not wearing it, sure, go ahead, but that won't change the fact and the reality made up calories burned is accurate.

And in regards of the other answer, about buying extra accessories to be able to select workout calories, it makes sense for the company since they will make money by having you buy more stuff. Then again, if I would have known this issue, I would have decided whether I would have bought the extra accessories or just get a HRM instead. I like transparency, I don't like products companies that don't explain everything about their products.
  • jaz050465
    Options

Use it incorrectly? I may have to disagree. The device is supposed to work while you wear it, not assume calories burned while you don't wear it. There are infinite possibilities why I wouldn't wear the device. From working in areas where any electronic device is not permitted to having to stop wearing it for a temporary skin condition, etc. So while BodyMedia suggest to wear the device all the time, they also say the accuracy depends on you wearing it all the time, which doesn't justify the fact it calculates calories behind your back while not wearing the device.

You want to blame me on me for not wearing it, sure, go ahead, but that won't change the fact and the reality made up calories burned is accurate.

And in regards of the other answer, about buying extra accessories to be able to select workout calories, it makes sense for the company since they will make money by having you buy more stuff. Then again, if I would have known this issue, I would have decided whether I would have bought the extra accessories or just get a HRM instead. I like transparency, I don't like products companies that don't explain everything about their products.

What do you mean 'buy extra accessories'. I'm talking about the computer programme- the activity manager. its very clear that you need to subscribe. I still don't understand how you can not use it as you're supposed to and then complain in doesnt work!!!!! If you need to take if off during the day then this isn't the device for you but you're not using it as its designed.