Working out w/ a fan?

akb2006
akb2006 Posts: 198 Member
edited September 21 in Fitness and Exercise
Does working out with a fan impact calories burned or the workout itself? It has been really hot here so I put a little fan next to the elliptical in addition to the fan that is on the elliptical (which you can bareley feel). The fan next to me works but the second I get off of there I am bursting into flames with sweat. Is the fan making my body not working out as hard? My body was still sweating but not like it was when I get off of the elliptical. Any help would be great!

Replies

• DarcieC2389
    DarcieC2389 Posts: 146
    In all essence, probably the more you sweat the better, but I still run a fan while exercising, so I don't get so hot that I feel sick.
  • Happyguy
    Happyguy Posts: 90 Member
    When its very hot your body will shunt more blood to the surface and away from your muscles in order to provide fluid to your sweat glands so you can sweat enough to maintain normal body temperature.

When it's cool and your body doesn't require much sweat to keep from overheating it can supply more blood to your working muscles.

Overall I would say it's better to keep as cool as possible. With more blood available to your muscles you can work out harder and longer.

Nobody ever set a marathon world record in eighty degree temperatures.
  • sonjavon
    sonjavon Posts: 1,019 Member
    I'll be interested to see what other people say since I wouldn't consider myself to be an expert... but honestly, I don't see how it would impact calories burned.... swimmers burn a lot of calories and they're in cold water. Cross Country Skiers burn a ton of calories and they're outside in the cold. How would working out with a fan be much different than running outside with a breeze blowing at you?

It seems to me that it wouldn't make a difference....
  • DanOhh
    DanOhh Posts: 1,806 Member
    The job of sweating is to cool the body. It is NOT calories burned. When you sweat and loose weight that weight comes back as soon as you drink more water and the body soaks that up. Just because you're sweating does not mean you are burning more calories than if you weren't.
  • akb2006
    akb2006 Posts: 198 Member
    I guess my thought process was your body had to work harder to cool it back down so it would burn more calories or make your workout more efficent. I'm glad thats not the case though! So I can enjoy that fan!
This discussion has been closed.