Am I doing this right?

For the past month I have been sticking to eating 1380 calories a day. Last week (9 days ago to be exact) I started riding my bike every day and burning 350-430 calories in an hour. In the past 9 days I haven't done this today and one other day. Before riding my bike I was steadily losing weight. However, since cycling, I've put on more weight. I've read online that this is normal and should be expected. However, this does clearly frustrate me to no end! :/

I want to keep bike riding as I do enjoy being outside and exercising, however I do still want to lose more weight. Has anyone else experienced my pain?

Replies

• foleyshirley
    foleyshirley Posts: 1,043 Member
    Are you eating back those calories?
  • Are you eating back those calories?

yes, (sorry forgot to put that in)
  • foleyshirley
    foleyshirley Posts: 1,043 Member
    I would give it more time. While frustrating, it is common to see a gain initially when you add exercise. Also, how are you calculating your calorie burns?

You are young, and seem to be near goal. You may want to do some research and calculate your TDEE to make sure you are eating enough.
  • SenseiCole
    SenseiCole Posts: 429 Member
    as yet I having put on weight, however I do, do alot of exercise and my muscles have gotten bigger. I do both cardo and weights, karate and hiking

please not get dis-hearten, you have changed your lifestyle for the better it will take time for you body to sort itself out

stick with what you are doing, enjoy the fresh air and your new body,

We can reverse years of damage to our bodies by deciding to raise our standards for ourselves, then living differently. Old wounds heal, injuries repair, and the whole system improves with just a few changes in what we put into our bodies and how we move them.

keep up the good work and stay strong

anyone can add me
  • I would give it more time. While frustrating, it is common to see a gain initially when you add exercise. Also, how are you calculating your calorie burns?

I've been using my polar FT4 HRM

I guess I'm just going to have to stick it out and hopefully the scale will drop..
  • Sjenny5891
    Sjenny5891 Posts: 717 Member
    Do you have the HRM on right?

I am 120lb. Endmondo and MFP say I only burn around 200 calories an hour riding my bike. ( I have been looking at getting an HRM with my next overtime check.)

Either 1- it is an initial weight gain due to building new muscles.
    2- it is somehow overtracking your calories causing you to eat more than you are burning
    3- you may need to eat more calories??
    4- Has Aunt Flo come to visit? I can put on 5-10 pounds bloating (TMI)

Every time I hit a plateau I changed up my calorie goal and got the ball rolling again.
  • Do you have the HRM on right?

I am 120lb. Endmondo and MFP say I only burn around 200 calories an hour riding my bike. ( I have been looking at getting an HRM with my next overtime check.)

Either 1- it is an initial weight gain due to building new muscles.
    2- it is somehow overtracking your calories causing you to eat more than you are burning
    3- you may need to eat more calories??
    4- Has Aunt Flo come to visit? I can put on 5-10 pounds bloating (TMI)

Every time I hit a plateau I changed up my calorie goal and got the ball rolling again.

I just checked my HRM and the settings are all right (weight/height/birthday)
    I'm hoping its just the weight gain due to building new muscles...