Curry ideas

Options
Hi!

I wanted to make a curry for dinner tonight but i want a nice low fat one, has anyone got any ideas?

thanks SB xx

Replies

• babydiego87
    babydiego87 Posts: 905 Member
    Options
    any recipe that doesn't have cream in it like a korma is going to be pretty low fat. i love curry!
  • chickadee1166
    chickadee1166 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Hairy Dieters Lamb spinach and potato curry is really really good, doesn't taste low fat either, fooled my husband!
  • jdad1
    jdad1 Posts: 1,899 Member
    Options
    Try mixing it with chicken broth. It's good depending on what type of curry you are using.
  • jdad1
    jdad1 Posts: 1,899 Member
    Options
    Hairy Dieters Lamb spinach and potato curry is really really good, doesn't taste low fat either, fooled my husband!

Trickery!!!
  • wigglingalltheway
    Options
    We I don't really worry about fat because that whole thing is a bit of a myth but anyway thats another topic :o)

one I do is fry off your meat
    Add the stock of your choice
    Add curry spice mix (i.e Madras powder)
    Add loads of veg (peppers, cauliflower, broccoli)
    Boil until it's of a consistency you like the look of.

Bar the stock and meat that has to be pretty low fat I would think?

We just eat this in a bowl as is but sure it would go just as well with rice. I have done a birriani like this before and it was cracking (just added the rice in with the veg and boiled the lot)

Hope this helps!
  • VeganSurfer
    VeganSurfer Posts: 383 Member
    Options
    Wattana and flower or Bombay Bataka
  • UrbanLotus
    UrbanLotus Posts: 1,163 Member
    Options
    I guess by "curry" you mean Indian food? For basic North Indian food, this is a standard recipe you can use to make many things - homemade Indian food is generally pretty healthy as it is mostly spices that provide flavor.:

Brown a lot of diced onions (low heat for a while) in a bit of oil and then puree them using an immersion blender. Then add minced ginger and garlic and brown all of it together. This is your base, its called masala. Now add whatever protein you want to it - like chicken or chickpeas. Season it with salt, red chili powder, ground cumin, ground coriander powder, and turmeric (no curry powder!!). Add a little tomato paste and water, let it simmer for a while. If you want what we call curry (a protein dish with gravy) add more water and a bit more seasoning, let it simmer till the water creates a flavorful gravy. Serve with roti or rice.

Sorry I don't have measurements, I learned by watching my parents cook - but use much more spices, onions etc than you would think, our food is very flavorful so don't be stingy. You'll get the hang of the quantities by cooking it more and tasting while you;re cooking.
  • MorgueBabe
    MorgueBabe Posts: 1,188 Member
    Options
    1/2 cup plain yogurt (fat free), 1 Tablespoon Paprika, 1 tablespoon mined and peeled fresh ginger, 1 garlic clove minced (I used 2), 1 teaspoon curry powder, 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon, 1/4 teaspoon saffron threads(or turmeric), 1/2 teaspoon salt, 1/4 ground black pepper. Mix ingredients,put them in a ziplock bag - add 4 (1/4 pound) skinless and boneless chicken thighs. squeeze out air. refrigerate turning occasionally. Leave in at least 8 hours.
    Preheat oven to 450. Place on roasting rack. Spray with nonstick spray. (Sprinkle with salt and pepper now not in marinade but I'm too lazy to change the top) Cook at least 22-25 minutes.
    They say to discard the marinade - but I just take the extra marinade and I place in the water I use to boil the rice.
  • smarina79
    smarina79 Posts: 15
    Options
    I made a chicken and sweet potato curry last week that was amazing!
  • melindasuefritz
    melindasuefritz Posts: 3,509 Member
    Options
    Easy Low-Fat Chicken Curry Recipe

More Recipes:

Recipes with chicken
    Recipes with curry powder
    Recipes with onions

Looking for an easy Easy low-fat chicken curry recipe? Learn how to make Easy low-fat chicken curry using healthy ingredients.

Submitted by jesscawhit

Makes 3 servings

Can be done either on the hob or the microwave - easier to make it low-fat in the microwave

Recipe Ingredients for Easy low-fat chicken curry

thigh, bone and skin removed Chicken, Thigh, Meat Only

1 1/4

tbsp Curry Powder

oz Wheat Flour, White, All-purpose, Enriched, Bleached

Cube Stock Cubes

cup (8 fl oz) Water

large Onions

medium (3") Apples

1/2

cup Raisins, Seedless

1tsp Olive Oil

cup, chopped Carrots

g Branston Sweet Pickle Mix

tbsp Jam

Recipe Directions for Easy low-fat chicken curry
    1.Chop the onion up into quarters and separate the layers

2.toss in 2tsp of olive oil to coat and place in the microwave for 3 minutes on high power to soften

3.Mix the flour and the curry powder together and coat the softened onions in the mix

4.Dissolve the stock cube in 2 cus of water and place the made up stock into the onion and flour mix

5.mix thoroughly to create a sauce

6.place in the microwave for another minute on high

7.cut the carrot and chicken into 1 inch cubes and add to the sauce

8.Place in the microwave for 5 minutes on high.

9.Dice up the apple into 0.5inch cubes and add, along with the sultanas, branston pickle and blackcurrant jelly, to the sauce and chicken - stir well and put into the microwave on high for 15 minutes

10.Make sure the chicken is cooked, if not, place in the microwave for another 5 minutes

11.Serve with rice and some veggies

Categories

Chicken

Nutrition Facts

Serving Size 431.9g

Amount Per Serving

Calories

Calories from Fat

% Daily Value*

Total Fat
    13.3g

20%

Saturated Fat
    3.2g

16%

Trans Fat
    0.0g

Cholesterol
    82mg

27%

Sodium
    296mg

12%

Total Carbohydrates
    49.4g

16%

Dietary Fiber
    5.7g

23%

Sugars
    26.5g

Protein
    25.7g

Vitamin A 70%

Vitamin C 14%

Calcium 6%

Iron 17%

* Based on a 2000 calorie diet

Nutritional details are an estimate and should only be used as a guide for approximation.

Legend

Fat
    Protein
    Carbs
    Alcohol
    Other

Calorie Breakdown

Daily Values