Need Advice. Is this normal?

A few weeks ago I posted on here about my 2nd week, only loosing 0.2 After reading your replies, I found out this was "normal." All of the post helped me greatly however I am now faced with a new issue.

Is gaining weight normal???? Here's some information:

Week 1: Lost 9lbs
Week 2: Lost 0.2lbs
Week 3: Lost 4.0lbs
Week 4: GAINED 2.6lbs (This week's results)

Measurements from this morning showed I gain 1/2" in chest, stomach and hips....

1. I did everything identical to the weeks before.
2. I've logged everything that I've ate & drank all week long.
3. Per MFP, I'm allowed 2,300 calories per day. I went back and over the past 6 days, I'm averaging eating 1,752 calories.
4. I'm drinking 80oz of water per day.
5. This past week, I did the treadmill 1 day which the week before when I lost 4lbs, I didn't exercise at all.

The only other thing that someone mentioned to me was I am a diabetic HOWEVER my sugar levels have been perfect for over 2 months now and my Dr is talking about taking me off medication (as a trial) since I was borderline to begin with. Someone mentioned that maybe it's the diabetic situation causing the gain????

If I had gained the weigh and lost in inches it wouldn't of been as bad however gaining in both is VERY disappointing....Any advise would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

Replies

• caly_man
    caly_man Posts: 281 Member
    i think this is a perfect example of weekly weight fluctuations that everyone is always talking about

about how weight loss is not linear

about how the body will retain water and poop and make it seem you've gained weight

there's really only one simple question you can ask yourself

Am I in a calorie deficit? at 1750 cals per day, the answer is: Yes

therefore you couldn't have gained 3lbs in a week.

This is more... an exercise in being patient and trusting yourself that you are doing your part.

if the weekly weigh ins are messing with your head, then i would suggest weighing yourself every 2 weeks or monthly.

lastly, i would double check to make sure your scale is in the same place every time, my wooden floor tends to give up to 3 lbs differences depending where the scale is, and these weigh ins are all done within the same 5 minutes.

good luck
  • cmeiron
    cmeiron Posts: 1,599 Member

5. This past week, I did the treadmill 1 day which the week before when I lost 4lbs, I didn't exercise at all.

It's possible that this is the culprit. When you make a change to your exercise (add some or increase the intensity), it's not uncommon for your body to retain a fair bit of water as your muscles recover and repair. I'd carry on with what you're doing, including the exercise, and I suspect the weight will start to creep back down again. Also, depending on where you are in your cycle, it's possible to gain a lot of water weight. Unless you drastically overate this past week, that's not fat gain showing on the scale.

The PP is right, of course, that weight loss is not linear; it's very normal to see the numbers bounce up and down constantly - it's the long-term trend that matters :)
  • shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    Very normal.

My weight loss since April 10th looks like this:
    bgdwmu.jpg
  • tomcornhole
    tomcornhole Posts: 1,084 Member
    More data to assuage the fluctuation fears. Just keep on doing what you are doing and look for long term trends. I know it is frustrating, though.

Weightloss20130426.png
  • RandomMiranda
    RandomMiranda Posts: 298
    I used to weigh in daily and would regular fluctuate several pounds on the scale from day to day. For me it had to do with water (sodium, muscles retaining it, etc.) and my menstrual cycle. Don't worry about it. Keep up your healthy habits and the overall trend will be down in weight and inches.
  • cranium853
    cranium853 Posts: 138 Member
    Thirteen pounds in three weeks is not a normal weight loss, it's potentially dangerous. You should aim for one or two pounds a week so your body and your attitude can adjust. And don't forget premenstrual bloat, if you are a female of that age..... I lost a lot my first week because my body was in shock (and that is what this kind of eating and exercise change is to the body, a shock) but since then it's been slow and steady. Just get a Sharpie and write, Do the Next Right Thing" down your forearm. And do it.
  • grampajimmy
    grampajimmy Posts: 18
    I need Advice. I've been doing well over the past 3-4 months, I have lost over 25 lbs. But now (the last 3-4 weeks), I find I am stuck or "hovering +or - 1lb of the same weight. I'm stuck! Not only am I stuck, I'm getting board with my daily menu. I'm questioning everything I do. Is it my portions? I'm eating the same way I always have, Is it the program? I lost most of the weight while on Weight Watchers and then switched to this because it was free, and I noticed Weight Watchers on line was more forgiving than MFP. I have even purposely lowered my Caloric limits thinking I cam eating too much. I don't know whats the matter, I'm getting discouraged, and that leads to binge, eating. I don't want that to happen. Any words of wisdom out there?
  • KaraAlste
    KaraAlste Posts: 168 Member
    Good effort with all that is going on! Yeah I think gaining weight would be normal after losing maybe too much too soon. I think you will start to lose again once your body gets its energy back. GL w/everything!!:smile:
  • Rocknut53
    Rocknut53 Posts: 1,794 Member
    I need Advice. I've been doing well over the past 3-4 months, I have lost over 25 lbs. But now (the last 3-4 weeks), I find I am stuck or "hovering +or - 1lb of the same weight. I'm stuck! Not only am I stuck, I'm getting board with my daily menu. I'm questioning everything I do. Is it my portions? I'm eating the same way I always have, Is it the program? I lost most of the weight while on Weight Watchers and then switched to this because it was free, and I noticed Weight Watchers on line was more forgiving than MFP. I have even purposely lowered my Caloric limits thinking I cam eating too much. I don't know whats the matter, I'm getting discouraged, and that leads to binge, eating. I don't want that to happen. Any words of wisdom out there?

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/912920-in-place-of-a-road-map-3-2013

"I have my MFP set to my TDEE so I know that I can eat up to and below that number to lose weight.
    I also know that I can add 250-500 cals to that number on heav"y lifting days in hopes of muscular growth.

For Morbidly Obese you can go as low as 30% below TDEE but beware the hormonal drops and if you plateau you'll need to come back up to TDEE for a few days.
    I recommend 20% below TDEE.
    If after 2 weeks the inches arent coming off then reassess your activity level and try a lower/higher setting.
    I just figured out my wife, who claims to be sedentary, burns 2500-2900 calories a day.
    I've been feeding her 1400-1600 calories a day because shes 5'3" at 40%BF.
    She hasnt been losing any weight!
    Upped her cals to 2k and guess what???
    The weight is coming off.

This study shows that individuals who have dieted down with moderate to low deficits are more likely to maintain weight loss and health as opposed to those who diet down on a Very Low CalorieDiet.
    http://www.nature.com/oby/journal/v9/n11s/full/oby2001133a.html "
  • justcountryfolks
    justcountryfolks Posts: 8 Member
    As mentioned in the very first post at the top, MFP is giving me 2,300 calories per day but I'm averaging eating 1,752 per day.
    Given the 2,300 calories MFP is giving, what should be the absolute MINIMUM calories I should be eating? I've always heard that you don't need to eat under a certain amount of calories however how close to the 2,300 should I be?
    Am I ok with the amount of calories I've been eating?
  • cmeiron
    cmeiron Posts: 1,599 Member
    As mentioned in the very first post at the top, MFP is giving me 2,300 calories per day but I'm averaging eating 1,752 per day.
    Given the 2,300 calories MFP is giving, what should be the absolute MINIMUM calories I should be eating? I've always heard that you don't need to eat under a certain amount of calories however how close to the 2,300 should I be?
    Am I ok with the amount of calories I've been eating?

What's your age, height, current weight, body fat % (if you know it), sex, and what kind of exercise do you do every week?