Should I buy a HRM?

Options
2»

Replies

• 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    The machines are only reading your actual heart rate when you put your hands on the sensors. If you aren't using them the entire time you are working out, or at all, then it is estimating your heart rate and by default, your calorie burn. Someone in good cardiovascular health with good endurance is going to have a lower heart rate and thus a lower calorie burn than someone who does not, even doing the exact same exercise at the exact same effort.
    That being said, this is why I say the heart rate monitor is more accurate, as it is reading your heart rate the entire time you are exercising.

Most machines don't account for heart rate at all in their calorie estimates.

Heart rate is not directly related to calories burned. There is a relationship between HR and VO2 max during steady state cardio that can be used to estimate calories. A good HRM will allow you to adjust for VO2 max for better estimates for people in better shape.

Also, two people, one fit one not, of the same weight doing the exact same workout will burn the same amount. The fitter one will have a lower hear rate and likely a lower rate of perceived exertion but they will burn the same amount. Calories = weight and intensity.
  • Shelialouise66
    Options
    Tested my HRM against the equipment at the gym and it was pretty close. Since I don't keep my workouts limited to the gym, I have found my HRM beneficial to track my HR and calorie burn. I agree that I like to stay within my zone, to get the best workout possible.

If you have the extra cash, it is well worth the investment.
  • spamantha57
    spamantha57 Posts: 674 Member
    Options
    I reallllllllllllllllllly want one!
    The calorie thing is a bonus. I actually want to know what my heart rate is. I've overcome high BP & HR & other heart health issues, & I want to see how good I'm doing for me!