Anyone over 60 and over 200lbs?

Options
Hi, I'm 65 and have had a weight problem forever. Tried many diets and failed. Although I can't say I failed completely. My first experience at dieting was with Lean Line (which doesn't exist anymore, don't know why) I was successful. But stupid me didn't stay with it and thought yippy no more dieting. Boy was I wrong. So here I am today many years later struggling. I am on blood pressure meds and also have a slow thyroid. Can anyone relate? Would love to compare foods and recipes and most of all motivation. Please free to add me to your friends.:heart:

Replies

• DevsOma
    DevsOma Posts: 6
    Options
    Is there anyone in this catagory?
  • phoo513
    phoo513 Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    I am right there with you. Over 65 and over 200 and was told that I had the metabolism of a 95 year old when I was only in my 40's! Now, it's even slower. I, too, have tried everything including a bypass surgery that I managed to eat around and gain back 60 lbs. To say that I am depressed over this is an understatement. I have be on MFP for one week tomorrow, and I have been under calorie count each day (although not by much somedays) I would love to have help on this journey. Please, add me to your friends. It will be good to have a fellow traveler on this journey.
  • holly1283
    holly1283 Posts: 741 Member
    Options
    I was 270 and I'm 62. My weight loss has slowed down since getting under 200. I just keep plugging away at it. My big exercise is swimming(bad knees). I did not give up anything. I was comparing life to the person who had gastric bypass. They only eat small amounts. I figured if that worked for them it should work for me. I do realize my stomach(internally) does not compare to what they do for bypass but it worked for me so far. I wish you well on our journey.
  • Shawshankcan
    Shawshankcan Posts: 900 Member
    Options
    While not me, it was my dad. He was 71 when my mom died and he was a smoker. It got worse when she died since there was no one to tell him no. I live 3 hours away and I can't watch him. He sat around his house smoking and eating. Finally I got him to stop smoking but he kept eating, until he was about 260lbs. He was also diagnosed with diabetes.

Really, the end was near for him. This bothered me a lot, I still had a lot I wanted him to be around for. I was 25 when my mom died, so I was still young enough that I had a lot of life left that I wanted my dad to see. I did the only thing I could think of, I got him a dog. This FORCED him to walk and get out. And with that, came the proper eating, or at least better eating.

Now, he hovers around the 195lbs mark and walks three times a day. His eating isn't perfect, but he is conscious of what he eats and his diabetes is under control without the aid of medication.

The honest truth is that he abused his body for years. Every time I say by on the phone, it could be the last. There is without a doubt in my mind, that had my dad not made the changes, he would have been dead three years ago. His time, like all, is finite, but I know he has greatly extended it.
  • DevsOma
    DevsOma Posts: 6
    Options
    This is great that you helped your father. I'm sure he needed your support and he appreciates it. Keep up the good work.
  • MIM49
    MIM49 Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    I will be 64 in a month. Actually looking forward to 65 because I will qualify for Medicare (right now have no insurance) and should be at goal weight and maintaining :bigsmile: :bigsmile: . I started 3/26/2012 at 310 pounds and now am only a couple of (stubborn) pounds from onederland (which I am starting to think is neverland). I still do not regularly exercise (hate it) but do find I walk more just because I can. I would love to provide you with support if you want to "friend" me.
  • msshugar2u
    msshugar2u Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Im over 60 too! I just started the wee hours of this morning. Looking for friends for motivation also. Not much in the cooking food department learning to make healthly wheat/gluten free meals. I tried Medifast and lost lots of weight in a very short time. Stayed with it for more than 6 months, then took in 2 of my grandsons and the the right foods went to the wayside and my waistline expanded. Lol even though its not funny today. Today I am learning to eat (The Eat Right 4 Your Type - Blood type O) way.
  • msshugar2u
    msshugar2u Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Congrads Dad! Continue your daily love daughter.
  • LG61820
    LG61820 Posts: 372 Member
    Options
    I don't exactly fit the category, but I can relate. I am almost 60 and almost 200, however in the past I was well over 200.

I read something today that really hit home. I am an abstainer, not a moderator. In other words, I can completely stop eating certain foods and I do well (weight loss wise) with calorie deprivation. However I can't be moderate in my trigger foods and have trouble figuring out what "normal" people eat in a day. So when I reach my goal I have a lot of trouble maintaining it. I lost weight about 9 years ago and did pretty well, just gained a little every year - but now I am dangerously close to 200 and am trying to get back on track.

I believe it can be done at any age. I have read posts by women in their 70's & 80's who are getting their 10,000 steps a day!

If I can keep motivated and don't give in to the "poor me" thoughts I can do this! I believe you can too.
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,379 Member
    Options
    I don't do friends (just me) but I was 197 lbs last June. I am 63. I was so unhealthy. - my mobility was shot. I could hardly get into the car. Everything hurt.
    Now I am 154 lbs and have 4 lbs to go to healthy BMI. I feel transformed and about 30 years younger. I do a mixture of non impact gym machines because of my bad knee, and have recently started body resistance and dumbbells. I have found that I can even do squats if I get the position right, which is really helping my knees.
    You can definitely transform your shape, your health, your fitness and your spirits. I would not have believed it nearly one year ago.:drinker: Good luck and keep believing :flowerforyou:
  • FATJAKE5
    FATJAKE5 Posts: 162
    Options
    Hi, I'm 65 and have had a weight problem forever. Tried many diets and failed. Although I can't say I failed completely. My first experience at dieting was with Lean Line (which doesn't exist anymore, don't know why) I was successful. But stupid me didn't stay with it and thought yippy no more dieting. Boy was I wrong. So here I am today many years later struggling. I am on blood pressure meds and also have a slow thyroid. Can anyone relate? Would love to compare foods and recipes and most of all motivation. Please free to add me to your friends.:heart:

I'm 63 @ Thanksgiving 306, Christmas 296 and today 260. BP meds for 23 years. When I started MFP 9 weeks ago I was 287 and taking 12 different BP meds/day and half of those twice/day and still BP was too high and I felt like a zombie. 3 weeks after starting MFP and figuring out salt was my main problem, I had to stop 9 of the meds cause the BP dropped so low I as afraid to go to sleep. The weight began to fall away. Now I notice things are no-longer hurting and I can chase my grandsons around without getting tired.
    I would suggest you unlock your diary if you want to compare what others are doing. Maybe start a group of folks with similar problems and goals so you can give one another the motivation aka kick in the butt, we all need from time to time.