Sleep deprivation

Options
What role do think think sleep plays with weight/fitness/health issues?

My sleep patterns are far from ideal.

I am I night owl.
I work 2nd shift, rarely go to bed before midnight and am up by 6:00-6:30.

Replies

• Mustang_Susie
    Mustang_Susie Posts: 7,045 Member
    Options
    Anyone?
  • Phrick
    Phrick Posts: 2,765 Member
    Options
    I'm sure it can have a negative effect, but I'm just as sure that YMMV from anyone else's. overall there are studies that indicate that a lower amount of sleep may result in a lower amount of weight loss. I'm on my mobile and don't feel like searching up the links for you but they shouldn't be too hard to find via Google. What I do know is that I routinely average 5-6 hours a night and have lost 33 in just over 2 months, so either I'm an exception, or everyone is going to have different outcomes. I tend to believe the latter - for I am no Special Snowflake.
  • tptouchdown
    tptouchdown Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I am not a doctor, but sleep produces chemicals in your body that help control appetite. Lack of sleep causes your body not to be able to regulate your food intake. If you don't like taking prescription drugs, try melatonine (sp). It regulates your body helps you fill naturally tired without any side effects.
  • Cr01502
    Cr01502 Posts: 3,614 Member
    Options
    Sleep is important. It's when your body repairs itself.

Also sleep deprivation can result in raised cortisol levels.

Not a good thing if you're trying to preserve lean body mass and lose body fat.
  • OfficerFuzzy
    OfficerFuzzy Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    There's probably something bad about it physically, but for me the worst part about staying up later is the fighting the urge to snack.
    I've also heard that when you're tired sometimes your body will think it's hungry--it's just trying to get energy. I don't know how factual that is, but it makes sense.

....I'm chronically sleep deprived.
  • Mustang_Susie
    Options
    There's probably something bad about it physically, but for me the worst part about staying up later is the fighting the urge to snack.
    I've also heard that when you're tired sometimes your body will think it's hungry--it's just trying to get energy. I don't know how factual that is, but it makes sense.

....I'm chronically sleep deprived.

Interesting thought, that makes some sense.
  • Mustang_Susie
    Options
    Sleep is important. It's when your body repairs itself.

Also sleep deprivation can result in raised cortisol levels.

Not a good thing if you're trying to preserve lean body mass and lose body fat.

Darn cortisol :yawn: