Carbs and anxiety?

Options
swimmermama
swimmermama Posts: 526 Member
Anyone know if there is research on relations between carbs or protein intake and anxiety? I've only been focusing on eating more protein and less carbs for a week. In that time, though, I feel like I'm experiencing significantly less anxiety. My emotional highs and lows seem much more moderate as well. I wasn't expecting a change in my mood but it is nice so far! :)

Replies

• Cr01502
    Cr01502 Posts: 3,614 Member
    Options
    From my own experience and from what I've read eating a moderate carb diet has had zero effect on my stress levels. In fact from my own experience I would say that while on a low carb diet my stress llevels actually increased and I felt very drained of energy.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/21304815

'Consumption of the high-protein vs. high-carbohydrate meal did not affect feelings of depression, tension, anger, anxiety. Cortisol levels did not differ between the four test-sessions in men and women (AUC nmol·min/L p > 0.1). Consumption of the test-meals increased cortisol levels in men in all conditions (p < 0.01), and in women in the rest-protein and stress-protein condition (p < 0.03). Men showed higher cortisol levels than women (AUC nmol·min/L p < 0.0001). Consumption of meals with different macronutrient contents, i.e. high-protein vs. high-carbohydrate, does not influence the physiological and psychological response differentially. Men show a higher meal-induced salivary cortisol response compared with women.'
  • CoderGal
    CoderGal Posts: 6,800 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure it's a 'eat more this and have less that' thing then it is more of a make sure you are getting enough food that includes adequate protein and fat before filling up on carbs. Carbs aren't evil, they're great when exercising, but I try to get over .8g of protein per lb of body mass and well, I like fat a little to much so I get plenty of that. And if I exercise a bunch I eat carbs a bunch on top of that.

I hate the low this and that diets. Just eat a well balanced diet that includes the nutrition your body needs.
  • swimmermama
    Options
    I hate the low this and that diets. Just eat a well balanced diet that includes the nutrition your body needs.

:) I think that's what I'm doing. I've just found that a high-protein, lower-carb diet helps me feels better emotionally as well as physically. Wondering if other people have found the same!
  • maryannelk
    maryannelk Posts: 707 Member
    Options
    Interesting question! There's a lot going when I think about my experience. When I wasn't focused on fitness, I ate a high-carb (read lots of bread, pasta, and sugar), didn't exercise, and got fat. The sugar ups and downs, the lack of exercise, and the general stress about getting fatter all made me anxious. Now, I eat way more protein and fewer breads/sugars; I exercise nearly every day, and enjoy the results of my efforts. Surprise...I have way less anxiety! :wink:

My understanding is that exercise has the strongest tie to reduced anxiety. From my own personal experience, I would definitely say that eating lower carb (about 100 grams per day) feels better to me.
  • BarackMeLikeAHurricane
    BarackMeLikeAHurricane Posts: 3,400 Member
    Options
    I get anxiety if I come home from the gym and I'm out of or running low on egg whites (my main source of protein). Does this count? I just imagine my muscles disintegrating into dust if I can't protein up after my lifts.
  • swimmermama
    Options
    I just imagine my muscles disintegrating into dust if I can't protein up after my lifts.

Ha! I am the same way. Don't get between me and my greek yogurt with fruit after the gym :)
  • cicilouise
    cicilouise Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I think some are confusing simple situational anxiety with chronic chemical imbalance anxiety that some people struggle with everyday. If you're in the latter category, as I am, you certainly can experience higher levels of anxiety when low carbing. Adding just a few carbs, half a tomato, half a cup of broccoli, for example really helped me a lot. There's plenty of supporting information out there. Google is your friend.
  • ajax041813
    ajax041813 Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    I have been eating low carb for about 6 weeks now and I feel amazing!!! In every way, physically, emotionally, mentally. I do feel like I am more in control of my emotions, even coming off of my cycle week when I am usually in tears at least once and I have no idea why at the time. My emotions were still higher than normal this last week, yet manageable which is an amazing side effect. I did try to work out a little too hard in the beginning of this way of eating so I backed off, moved to a great new neighborhood and am back on track. I started running this week, actually did it twice, and Piyo once. I also walked for a half hour one day. My fiancée and I would like to buy some weights to start lifting as opposed to paying for a gym membership so I am looking forward to that. In the meantime, I am excited to keep eating low carb, I have cheated a few times. During the move we ate fast food but I got right back on course. I like cooking and baking, searching out recipes, keeping track of the recipes I come up with so this is a good fit for me. Feel free to friend me if you'd like. I love meeting other low carbers and getting support! WooHoo!!!!
  • killmeimfat15
    Options
    I have such debilitating anxiety. I have found the only way to drown out these feelings of soaking misery and distract me from the overwhelming worry I feel without reason is to stuff myself with an excess of carbs. Depression, anxiety, and the resulting binge eating are no joke. I started using MFP because my binges were getting so excessive. I average around 3,000 to 4,000 calories a day. At least half of that is from sweets and Junk!!!

I don't eat much protein. Do people find a correlation between increasing protein and a decrease in anxiety? It would be a great discovery if it turned out my excessive carb/sugar intake actually sparked my anxiety.

I will add more protein to my day. If I could knock my day from 3,000 to 2,500 calories a day I would at least slow down my gaining of weight. MFP reccomeneded me to eat 1200 but that is too steap a goal right now.
  • bespatter
    bespatter Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    I have chronic chemical imbalance type of anxiety. I can't do low-carb, or caffeine for that matter, or I become a wreck.
  • schulersam
    schulersam Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Proteins stay with you longer than sugars so you don't get hungry as soon...therefore eating less.
  • melimomTARDIS
    melimomTARDIS Posts: 1,941 Member
    Options
    I have chronic chemical imbalance type of anxiety. I can't do low-carb, or caffeine for that matter, or I become a wreck.

WORD.
  • shankasaurus
    shankasaurus Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    I don't care about carbs anymore. I set out 4 weeks ago with only one goal, increase my protein intake. As a vegetarian I was getting less than 50g daily, I aim for 150, usually end up around 110 or so. I find that my success at things is inversely related to how much pressure I put on myself. I prefer to motivate using positive reinforcement, I don't restrict carbs, I INCREASE protein. So in my mind I'm on a HIGH protein diet. Which just feels way better to me. This whole thing, weight loss, it's all mental. Find your mental shortcuts to success.
  • SteampunkSongbird
    SteampunkSongbird Posts: 826 Member
    Options
    I don't know anything about a carb/protein correlation to mood, but as someone who is a long-term sufferer of debilitating anxiety, I do know that those anxious feelings don't seem quite as bad when I'm really concentrating on something, or focusing on something new, it's like a distraction technique, maybe that's what's happening with you. Either way, it's great that you're feeling good!
  • brennankp01
    Options
    It would "make sense" (I don't have the science to back this) that because the way that simple sugars carbs immediately are absorbed into the blood stream. I just finished a university Nutrition Class last semester and in learning how the body processes food and how it effects the brain was really interesting. I wonder if more fiber were consumed with simple sugars (say an apple and piece of celery) if it wouldn't make a difference. The again as a kid I "soothed" myself on Lil Debbie's snack cakes. Great question!
  • brennankp01
    Options
    Ditto!
  • laurasuzanne2006
    laurasuzanne2006 Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    I highly recommend reading wheat belly. Not necessarily directly what your asking but there are links between wheat and the brain.
  • ekat120
    ekat120 Posts: 407 Member
    Options
    In terms of (chronic) anxiety, I think I feel best on about 100 g of carbs a day. It helps even out my hunger, so my whole "system" seems to feel more stable, if that makes sense.
  • earth_echo
    earth_echo Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    I would agree. Lower carbs = less anxiety.