Running - how to drink while running?

Options
With the summer approaching, it's necessary to take in lost fluid while running.
What's the technique of drinking while running?

I tried drinking from a small water bottle while running and I just choked myself.

Replies

• CP_9712
    CP_9712 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    you could get a camelbak

Or just drink tons and tons before and then immediately after drink tons and tons of water.
  • RunnerElizabeth
    RunnerElizabeth Posts: 1,091 Member
    Options
    I do the camelbak when I'm going to be out for over an hour. Much easier to drink thru a hose without stopping.
  • CharlesLadd
    CharlesLadd Posts: 39
    Options
    When I was running week-end 5K, 5 mile and 10K races, I found it very difficult to drink while running. I just chose to walk for a few yards. After all, I wasn't running for time.
  • mmddwechanged
    mmddwechanged Posts: 1,688 Member
    Options
    Had a good laugh here! You just have to allow for spillage, no need for swallowing heroics while running;)
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    There is some good info in here regarding whether or not you actually NEED water on your run
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/967878-do-you-hold-a-water-bottle-when-you-run

Personally I don't take water for anything under and hour, usually at least an hour and a half.

I've had a few bad experiences at races gulping water. Now I have my fuel belt. I like the small amounts of water I get instead of trying to drink a bunch at once.
  • nexangelus
    nexangelus Posts: 2,081 Member
    Options
    As long as your runs are not hours and hours long, make sure you are hydrated well before the run and rehydrate well after the run. I do not take water with me on my longer runs which are between and hour and an hour and a half long. If you are concerned about hydration, then there are those small bottles which fit over your fingers for sips every now and again. Or you can wear a running belt that can hold rehydration bottles and gels and things.

Oh, you want to know how to drink without choking, practice I guess?! *shrug* Or stop a bit to drink then get going again.
  • MrGonzo05
    MrGonzo05 Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    With the summer approaching, it's necessary to take in lost fluid while running.
    What's the technique of drinking while running?

I tried drinking from a small water bottle while running and I just choked myself.

Just make sure you are well hydrated when you start.
  • Shes1CraftyMama
    Shes1CraftyMama Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    I have seriously tried so many water bottles, camelbaks, etc. The best thing I have found so far is the camelbak Delaney hip pack. It holds a camelbak water bottle and has a small pocket for keys, phone, iPod whatever....shank maybe??? Depends on where you live lol.
    But I like this water bottle because it does not pour out on you....You have to either suck the water out or squeeze it out. And when you drink while running do it in small sips. Put water in your mouth and hold it for a few seconds until you can swallow little bits at a time. Sometimes if I can't drink it all I will spit a little out. I know it sounds weird, but it can be hard to drink without choking while running! I totally get it. I have found that if I hydrate often during my runs I am less likely to choke, my throat seems to not like water when it is dry....GOOD LUCK!
  • Duck_Puddle
    Duck_Puddle Posts: 3,224 Member
    Options
    I loathe carrying *kitten* while I run, so I stash a water bottle in my yard and loop back. I only "need" something if I'm out for 1 1/2 to 2 hours and then it's just a squirt or two. And squeeze bottles work best for me. Anything else requires too much time and effort or I end up wearing more water than drinking. I chew gum while running to keep my mouth from getting too dry.
  • rduhlir
    rduhlir Posts: 3,550 Member
    Options
    Yeah, like everyone said. I haven't even gotten into runs long enough for me to bring water along yet. I am just now hitting the 6 mile mark, but at the end of the month when I bump my mileage up I will only be bringing my water along on the long runs. All the other runs I just keep water available for when I get back.
  • scottb81
    scottb81 Posts: 2,538 Member
    Options
    In cooler weather under around 70 degrees I run without water up to 150 minutes. Sometimes I get thirsty but never get dehydrated enough to worry about it.

In warmer weather I run to a little over an hour without water with no problem. Longer than that and dehydration starts having an effect. Then I either plant water along the route, plan a route with water fountains, or wear a fuel belt with water bottles. I don't really like wearing it but it's better than having the run fall apart due to dehydration.

Also, lower intensity runs are a whole lot easier to do without water than high intensity ones. If I am planning on running hard I pay a lot more attention to water planning.
  • Mock_Turtle
    Mock_Turtle Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    I'm with everyone else - carrying water is a pain in the *kitten*.

The way I see it, if your run is an hour or less, you can probably do without the water. If you're doing long runs or it's insane hot outside, then you should probably get some type of pack that ties around your waist so the weight is evenly distributed.

You also need a lot less water than you'd think - carrying a 1 liter bottle or whatever is just unnecessary. I'd find the smallest type of water bottle you could find (say 250mL) that is squeezable so you can just suck in the water as opposed to trying to gulp it in and choking on air and water
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    hydrate before your runs and run during the cooler parts of the day. like someone else said, as long as you are not running for longer than 90 minutes, you don't need to be drinking lots of water during the run.

i've seen the water fuel belts with the tiny water bottles. it could take a little getting used to.
  • runzalot81
    runzalot81 Posts: 782 Member
    Options
    The shape of the Propel bottle is perfect for my hand so I just carry it. I live in Houston, so I usually need water for any run greater than 4 miles from June through October.

I slow to walk when I need a drink.
  • billsica
    billsica Posts: 4,741 Member
    Options
    in a race I pinch the top of the cup and pour it into my mouth like a watering can.

Small sips.
  • ChaseAlder
    ChaseAlder Posts: 804 Member
    Options
    I find that I get side cramps if I drink too much, so I like to stick to small doses of hard liquor every mile or so. Besides, my box of wine is cumbersome.
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    I find that I get side cramps if I drink too much, so I like to stick to small doses of hard liquor every mile or so. Besides, my box of wine is cumbersome.

rookie move. remove the box and carry just the bag.
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options

rookie move. remove the box and carry just the bag.

Or use your fuel belt.

Not kidding, our group does a running house crawl and one lady did this.
  • Babieseverywhere
    Babieseverywhere Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    I'm in chilly cold England and therefore don't carry water (yet) Today I did 2 hour 40 minute run covering 11 miles without any water. I do make sure I drink plenty the rest of the time when I am at home. That said, if we ever start to get nice weather I might have to have a rethink.
  • actlc
    actlc Posts: 84
    Options
    thanks. When I need it for long runs, I will try a squeeze bottle.
    I prefer not to carry it so probably place it somewhere along the run route.