I need help on working on belly bulge.

Duga
Duga Posts: 6
edited September 21 in Fitness and Exercise
I have beend doing a lot of cardio lately and I have been using my exercise ball. I was wondering what else I could do to incrise my workout and get some better results for swim suit season.

Replies

• omid990
    omid990 Posts: 785 Member
    Eat well and exercise.

Unfortunately, there is no way to spot reduce fat. The only way to make your stomach smaller is to eat less calories than you burn. Eventually, your stomach will start to get smaller. you can do stomach exercises all you want which will make the muscles of your stomach stronger but it will not make your stomach any smaller unless you burn some of the fat there first.
  • Ge0rgiana
    Ge0rgiana Posts: 1,649 Member
    Eat well and exercise.

Unfortunately, there is no way to spot reduce fat. The only way to make your stomach smaller is to eat less calories than you burn. Eventually, your stomach will start to get smaller. you can do stomach exercises all you want which will make the muscles of your stomach stronger but it will not make your stomach any smaller unless you burn some of the fat there first.

Unfortunately, I read this same thing on a Spark article about weight loss myths. I guess it does explain why my cardio program (which is heavily focused on the lower body) led to shrinkage in my waist, belly, chest, etc. and not my *kitten*! Life is just so unfair, you know? :laugh:
  • mattytee
    mattytee Posts: 15
    Yup, as said above, you just have to eat right and keep up with that cardio. Trust me, it will begin to flatten out the stomach as you start to loose the pounds. Unfortunatly, there is no way to loose fat in certain spots, it all comes with time ;-)
  • selbyhutch
    selbyhutch Posts: 531 Member
    Cutting down on sugar helps with belly fat.
  • amysj303
    amysj303 Posts: 5,086 Member
    I know how hard it can be. I thought this article was helpful: http://healthnews.ediets.com/diet-fitness/2009/12/ask-raphael-flatten-your-stomach.html
    but I think it shows that it is not just calories/burn; there is some evidence that suggests some fat stores are protected by the body and really hard to lose even with strict diet and exercise.
  • belldandy1
    belldandy1 Posts: 264 Member
    Actually, I read recently in Prevention that people who did interval training lost a higher percentage (can't remember the exact number) of visceral fat (deep belly fat) than those who did steady paced cardio. I also read in prevention that a test group who drank 4 cups of green tea daily lost a higher percentage of belly fat. I don't know how significant these findings were, but it might be worth a shot for you.
  • amysj303
    amysj303 Posts: 5,086 Member
    I also remembered something about stress which increases cortisol (?) levels in the body and that seemed to make the body store fat around the midsection. So maybe reducing stress could have an impact.
  • ekrueger002
    ekrueger002 Posts: 15
    Cortisol production increase in the body will lead to "belly fat".

Alcohol, smoking, stress all tend to increase cortisol production.....so stay away from these best you can. :-)
This discussion has been closed.