Totally new to running...where do i start?lol

Options
So Im feeling this NEED to take up running...like now...Ive NEVER been a runner...I am large chested(was always joked with that I shouldnt run)...I had my first child at 18,and was pregnant or nursing for the next 5 yrs...now my youngest is 5 yrs old..and Im done being the "frumpy",tired mom.. Im about to turn 30 yrs old (July 27th)...And Im on a mission to be healthy by my 30th bday! ;P I want to be "healthy"...So Ive bought 2 prs of running shoes (Asics,and New Balance),some "Running/Workout" clothes...and my Polar FT4 is on the way from Amazon! :D So I would say Im almost as prepared as you can get...except for knowing where to start...lol...Im scared...I know that sounds dumb..but I really have never done it...Do I HAVE to start out walking or can I start out just running? Where did you start out?...looking forward to some ideas from you experienced or newbie runners out there...you all are my inspiration <3

Replies

• 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    You can just start out running if you want. C25K is popular program but it certainly isn't the only way. I know people who started running telephone pole lengths or just ran, then ran a little farther. It doesn't really matter.
    I started out running as far as I could go, walking then running again It might not have been the best way but eventually I got there. I ran too fast and really struggled. At the time I was also in a program where I had PT and had to pass a test in order to pass the program so not running wasn't an option, so that helped. Before I started I hadn't run half a mile straight, my first week there i ran 1.5 miles without stopping. By the end I was able to run 1.5 miles in under 12 minutes (it was a huge huge struggle for me though).

I do suggest C25K. But other than that, my advice is to slow down. The biggest mistake new runners make is running too fast. And keep at it. Running is not easy but it comes with time.

Remember, whether you think you can or can't, you're right. Running is hugely mental.
  • scottb81
    scottb81 Posts: 2,538 Member
    Options
    ++ to everything said above.

Also, it's going to be hard at first. It's hard at first for everybody. Even for people that have run a lot before and have to get restarted after taking a long time off it is hard. Just know that it gets better and in a few short months you will be running easy.
  • actlc
    actlc Posts: 84
    Options
    Hi, I'm a beginner running for about 4 months now.
    I know there's coach 2 5K apps you can use to start (includes walk & jog intervals).

For me, I run until I have to walk and I tried to run a little further each day.
    I started at 0.5 mile and gradually improved & increased distance everyday.
    When I hit 1 mile mark, I stayed at 1 mile for couple weeks (or until I feel ready) before I advance to 2 miles.
    And do the same to 3 miles, 4 miles & now running at 5 miles a day.

Here's something I learnt may be helpful:
    - A good pair of shoes is #1. (learnt it until i have some calf pain)
    - Don't go too fast. Run at a pace that you won't go out of breath.
    - Minimize the landing impact to reduce chances of calf pain / shin splint. (by landing midfoot and directly under my body CG)
    - If you really enjoy running, tracking your distance/duration/pace and heart rate will be beneficial to tune how you run and know your progress.
  • Happymom83
    Happymom83 Posts: 405 Member
    Options
    I know there's coach 2 5K apps you can use to start (includes walk & jog intervals).

For me, I run until I have to walk and I tried to run a little further each day.
    When I hit 1 mile mark, I stayed at 1 mile for couple weeks (or until I feel ready) before I advance to 2 miles.

- Minimize the landing impact to reduce chances of calf pain / shin splint. (by landing midfoot and directly under my body CG)
    - If you really enjoy running, tracking your distance/duration/pace and heart rate will be beneficial to tune how you run and know your progress.

What shoes are "good" shoes? :)

I was told New Balance and Asics are good..but like I said Im new to this whole running this ;)
  • Isakizza
    Isakizza Posts: 754 Member
    Options
    I'm still a new runner, I can only do 2 miles straight.
    My biggest and most important advice... take your time and be consistent!

I did use C25K for like the first two weeks, but then just went at it on my own. One thing I hated was when I slacked off and took one too many days off from running. It really sucked to come back and feel like all my progress was lost. So being consistent was huge for me, about 3-4 days a week.

My fav shoes right now are Skechers GoRun (have mid-foot strike that have really been a blessing for me). I absolutely love them!!! There's also a couple Nike that I love. But everyone's so different, you'll just have to try them on yourself and see what works best for you.

Have fun!
    :wink:

21525558.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Nutrition Facts For Foods
  • actlc
    actlc Posts: 84
    Options
    People suggest to go to a run shop and ask them to see how you run so the pro there can recommend best shoes that fit your running style (everyone may run differently).

For me, I took the chance and just ordered Asics (1/2 size bigger to allow my feet swell a little under heat) from amazon. lol
    So far so good and I got another pair to alternate their use.
  • wswilliams67
    wswilliams67 Posts: 938 Member
    Options
    Running.. ugh... lift weights. ;)
  • Happymom83
    Options

lol..Welllll..I plan on doing that too! ;)
    Just bought NROLFW..Im planning to buy the stuff to do it at home...Im a stay at home mom..so i have the time.
  • eating4me
    eating4me Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    I'm a newbie to running, too. I just started 3 months ago. I'm training with the Jeff Galloway method (you can Google it). He uses the run-walk-run interval training method. I love it. I'm training for a 1/2 marathon right now, and every week I notice a huge difference in my endurance, strength, time, distance, and the way I feel about running. Even if you don't use his method, I agree with what others have said. Don't try to run too fast, and don't overtrain; both of those things increase the risk of injury. Body mechanics is critical. Being fitted for proper running shoes by a running store is SO important. They will watch you run, and will evaluate your stride & how you land on your feet. Read everything you can about running, training, nutrition for runners, etc., and rest when you feel an injury coming on...before it develops into something serious. There's tons of information out there...take advantage of it. There are also some good running groups on FB, where I've learned a lot of valuable information! Good luck with your running. I hope you find that you love it as much as I do!
  • Isakizza
    Isakizza Posts: 754 Member
    Options

lol..Welllll..I plan on doing that too! ;)
    Just bought NROLFW..Im planning to buy the stuff to do it at home...Im a stay at home mom..so i have the time.

YES! I totally noticed a nice improvement in my running when I started weight lifting. :happy:
  • ksy1969
    ksy1969 Posts: 700 Member
    Options

What shoes are "good" shoes? :)

I was told New Balance and Asics are good..but like I said Im new to this whole running this ;)

If you went to a running store to get those shoes and got properly fitted then they are probably good shoes. If not then that is what you need to do. Do not go to a sporting goods store. It needs to be a store that specializes in running. You need to do this because they are staffed by experienced runners that will help you get the proper shoe. You will spend anywhere from $90 to $130 for a decent shoe. They can get more expensive but they have never forced me towards those. Also invest in some good running socks that wick sweat away from your feet.

Last year when I started running I used a couch to 5k program on my phone and I am now running half marathons.
  • lisahewitt22
    lisahewitt22 Posts: 102
    Options
    I just started running myself and i never thought I'd like it as much as I do. For now I only have time to run about a mile on weekdays day but its great seeing my mile time going down and hopefully I'll have time to do more soon.
    Once I got over the initial fear of starting and just got off my lazy but and did it it was great. I just bought some basic tennis shoes from wal mart, nothing fancy, and I wear leggings and a tee shirt when I go. Good luck to you and I hope you enjoy it as much as i do :)

also if you need a good running app on your phone or your ipod or anything nikeplus is a good one.
  • juliette1677
    juliette1677 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    This is so inspiring! Within four months you're running 5 miles/day?! I can't wait to get there!

I've only been running for a week and am doing 1.5 miles about every other day. Is it good to have rest days in between or is it okay to run everyday?

OP - make sure you get a good bra or double up. I used to be large chested until I had a reduction last year. The only way I could run before was with two sports bras. Good luck getting started. I just started running as far as I could each day and I think I'm hooked :) I'm doing a 5k in a few weeks and dreaming about doing the Marine Corps 10k in October.
  • cschiff
    cschiff Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    for me, using the C25K app was the best fitness decision ive ever made. i went from not being able to run for more than 3 minutes to being able to do 35-40 minutes. working on increasing time even more. :)))

i would definitely recommend it. good luck!
  • UrnAsh
    UrnAsh Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    I'm doing the couch to 5k!
  • nursebunny5
    nursebunny5 Posts: 14
    Options
    good luck on your "running journey"!!! i, too, am a new runner and i go back and forth between "C25K" and "zombies run 5K"!! i like them both!! it depends on my mood as to which app i chose before i head out. just take it easy and don't try to overdue it. you don't want to injure yourself and be sidelined. that happened to me the last time i attempted to be a "runner." now i am going about it more safely.....slow and sure.

good luck!!!
  • Happymom83
    Options
    Thanx for the support everyone! :) Im going to start tomorrow when my kiddos go back to school..the weekends are too hard to go running becasue of my husbands work...he leaves the house at 5am,and isnt home till 6:45pm or later...so I have the kids basically alone all weekend...I usually do workout dvds or yard work on Saturday and Sunday:) Cant wait to come back tomorrow and tell you haw my "First Run" goes! :D
  • sunglasses_and_ocean_waves
    sunglasses_and_ocean_waves Posts: 2,757 Member
    Options
    Without reading most of the other responses:

don't do too much too soon. Don't set yourself up for injury thus putting your goals off even further.

Get a great sports bra. Dont mess around. I like the shock absorber bra, highest level (4?).

I like saucony sneakers better than asics. New balance screwed my feet up when I was speed walking, and I can get them dirt cheap where I live so it's a bummer.

Never forgo stretching afterward!

Good luck & have fun =)
  • macdiver
    macdiver Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    This is a quote regarding running.

The great advantage of our sport over all others is that we don't need a ball or a team or a field, or even, according to some, shoes. We just need to stand someplace, imagine ourselves in the center of a circle, pick one out of the 360 degrees available to us, and head thataway. ~Peter Sagal

My advice is to just go out and run. Start short distances and slow pace and build from there.
  • SRJohnson13
    Options
    Couch to 5K (C25K) is definitely the best way to start. If you follow the program it will keep you from going to fast to quickly which is a sure-fire way to get discouraged.

Also, definitely go to a running store to get shoes. You may pay 5% more, but their advice is well worth it in the beginning. They will look at your gate and suggest shoes that will protect your knees and feet.