Apple Cider Vinegar anyone?

Options

Replies

• amaranthine1018
    Options
    Haha I came in this thread thinking "That sounds delicious!"....I guess not.
  • paintlisapurple
    paintlisapurple Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    Honestly don't know; however it tastes great on salads!
  • SherryTeach
    SherryTeach Posts: 2,836 Member
    Options
    Go ahead and gag it down if you must and feel that it does something for you. But those health claims are not supported by science.

http://junkfoodscience.blogspot.com/2008/04/houston-we-have-problem-apple-cider.html

who cares about science, you can find articles saying its great and saying its bad of about almost everything. its all about trial and error with yourself. if you see no changes or difference within a few weeks/months of using it just dont use it anymore. never let science stop you from trying something.

I care about science.
  • sbbhbm
    sbbhbm Posts: 1,312 Member
    Options
    I mix with honey and water and drink through a straw. It will seriously erode your enamel, as other posters have mentioned. I have yet to decide if it's helping with anything, but I like the way it tastes, so I figure what the heck- as long as it's not hurting anything either!
  • taylan14
    taylan14 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Yep - my mother in law did that same thing thinking it would her help - now her intestines are WRECKED. has to take medicine for the rest of her life for the damage it did in just a very short time.
  • rsipes1
    rsipes1 Posts: 3
    Options
    They do have ACV Supplement that's what I take so I don't have to actually drink it.
  • Peanutbutterx
    Peanutbutterx Posts: 332
    Options
    i have taken shots of it before, i heard it cleans out your system and is really good for you. its also good if you put cut up and peeled carrots and sweet potatos in a deep pan with a lot of cinnamon, all spice, and a little sugar, fill the pan up all the way with apple cider vinegar to where it covers them and bake it under its soft it and carmelized. you have to stir a couple times in between and it takes a long time to bake but its SO good.
  • beyondjupiter
    beyondjupiter Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    I care about science.

I definitely care about science but the "studies" for things are all over the place. I have read (and can reference) studies that say why not drinking 6-8 glasses of water a day is bad for you. I can then find "studies" that say why drinking 6-8 glasses of water a day can be bad for you. Then I read not to drink bottled water but not to drink tap water either. I read one study saying an egg a day helps your body while another study says it increases your risk of heart attack.

I love science bur these "scientific studies" change with the wind.

Jen
  • _AllieCat_
    _AllieCat_ Posts: 515 Member
    Options
    Yes, but ALWAYS dilute it in water. When taken straight the acid can burn your esophagus.

To make it palatable I mix 1tbsp apple cider vinegar with two cups of water, a tsp of cinnamon, and a packet of stevia. I like mine on ice and through a straw to minimize contact with my teeth.
  • beyondjupiter
    Options
    Yep - my mother in law did that same thing thinking it would her help - now her intestines are WRECKED. has to take medicine for the rest of her life for the damage it did in just a very short time.

Hm. This seems unlikely. How much was she drinking? Even the makers of the product say 1-2 tbsp a day. People put more vinegar on salads and in other food just for the taste without issue.

Jen
  • beyondjupiter
    Options
    Yes, but ALWAYS dilute it in water. When taken straight the acid can burn your esophagus.

To make it palatable I mix 1tbsp apple cider vinegar with two cups of water, a tsp of cinnamon, and a packet of stevia. I like mine on ice and through a straw to minimize contact with my teeth.

^ This.

Same but as I said before I put it in grape juice. I can't stomach it in just water.

Jen
  • markforfitness
    Options
    I agree. The "science" on a lot of this stuff changes anyway. It's all about how it interacts with you and the results it produces or doesn't. I've read there are a lot of good reasons to be on this stuff. I might try going back to it soon. i tried it for reflux and it didn't help resolve that issue.
  • doronajay
    doronajay Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    I love ACV--especially Bragg. I dilute 2 tbsp in water. I've had upper GI issues for a long time and I feel like it helps.

Bragg makes some great bottled ACV drinks with enhancements like ginger, apple, or honey. They might be a good alternative if you can't stand the thought of drinking vinegar.
  • arbata9
    arbata9 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    I used to do it for almost 2-3 years ages ago. It is meant to increase your metabolism, help you with better skin and hair. Helped me, so I am going back to drinking it.
    It is not the nicest thing to drink in the morning, but I'd only add a tablespoon of vinegar into a glass of lukewarm water and have a teaspoon of honey. You will be surprised how quickly you get used to it :)
    Good luck!
  • ironfitclub
    ironfitclub Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Okay good!!! Glad I'm not the only one!! I said "shot" but I do mix it with about 8oz of warm water and sometimes a little honey. Thanks for the replies! Now I feel less strange lol.
  • FindingHeaven4me
    Options
    Yes, I have tried this, it's hard to keep up because the flavor to me is horrible, I just took it strait without mixing it in water, didn't want to prolong the agony lol, but was taking 30 minutes before every meal. It works though.
  • Sqeekyjojo
    Sqeekyjojo Posts: 704 Member
    Options
    I recently bought some of the Bragg variety and would like to do this. Anyone have any tips for making it palatable?

Put it on a load of fries and add salt.
  • kr1stadee
    kr1stadee Posts: 1,774 Member
    Options
    It's awesome for catching fruit flies!!

I can't stomach the smell, I can't imagine the taste!! bleh!
  • evileen99
    evileen99 Posts: 1,564 Member
    Options
    "Some of the benefits include alkalizing blood ph level AND it seems to help a lot with acne."

The pH of vinegar is around 3 (acidic). How does make your blood pH go UP?

And your body has many mechanisms for keeping your blood pH exactly where it wants it--drinking vinegar wouldn't change it anyway.
  • jennkain97
    jennkain97 Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    Go ahead and gag it down if you must and feel that it does something for you. But those health claims are not supported by science.

http://junkfoodscience.blogspot.com/2008/04/houston-we-have-problem-apple-cider.html

who cares about science, you can find articles saying its great and saying its bad of about almost everything. its all about trial and error with yourself. if you see no changes or difference within a few weeks/months of using it just dont use it anymore. never let science stop you from trying something.

I care about science.

I care about science too. This article isn't about any SCIENCE used to "debunk" the benefits of ACV. It's simply listing the authors reasons for not believing them. There aren't any STUDIES listed that disprove the benefits. Science is great, but the fact is that everyone's body is different and reacts to things differently. This is why some people with high cholesterol, for example, can take a drug like Lipitor and their stats come down. Others go through drug after drug, change their diet, exercise daily, and their stats continue to climb. It's why someone with a particular cancer can take a particular chemo drug and fully recover, while someone else with the same cancer on the same drug will die. Some people find that exercise suppresses their appetite (one of the modern claims of ACV), while others find that it leaves them starving (one of the "folk" uses of ACV). When you're talking about the effect of substances (or activity, as the case may be) on the human body, everyone is different. And with some things, there may not be any scientific reason to believe they will work -- they just DO.