Crying after a workout???

Options
I know this may sound stupid.. but has anyone ever gotten emotional after a workout? Twice now... once after the Insanity fit test, and just now after the Billy Blanks Bootcamp... when it was finished I was just uncontrollably crying. I have no friggin clue what sparks this b/c I have so many thoughts going through my head... glad it's over with, glad I actually finished it, etc etc. Please tell me I'm not the only one..

Replies

• TropicalFlowerz
    TropicalFlowerz Posts: 1,990 Member
    Options
    Been there.....it happened once after a really hard p90x work out ,and again after a really good yoga,...it's a realease of pent up sadness that I'm letting go of. ...and happiness that I'm taking control and discovering a whole new me,relax...your doing great!
  • Rosplosion
    Rosplosion Posts: 739 Member
    Options
    It's never happened to me, but I can see how emotîons can run high after a particularly challenging workout.
  • lwagnitz
    lwagnitz Posts: 1,321 Member
    Options
    Only if I've broken something...and even then it's questionable. Do you have anxiety?
  • andeey
    andeey Posts: 709 Member
    Options
    I've heard guys have their own version of TOM ... perhaps hormone issues?
  • MagicalLeopleurodon
    MagicalLeopleurodon Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    once. i had stress fractured my foot and was trying to take off my shoe.
  • ShellyBell999
    ShellyBell999 Posts: 1,482 Member
    Options
    Please tell me I'm not the only one..

Seems you might be :cry: :sad:
  • Proyecto_AN
    Proyecto_AN Posts: 387
    Options
    I don't cry after workouts, but sometimes when I am doing my intervals I feel the "runner high's", but I know it's endorphins. There's nothing magical about it. We all have problems, we all overthink stuff and what is stupid for me, maybe isn't for you...so if you feel better after crying, don't be ashamed to cry... enjoy it.
  • aakaakaak
    aakaakaak Posts: 1,240 Member
    Options
    Maybe check to see if the "atkins approved" foods you've been eating are primarily soy protein, or have some other estrogen inducing stuff in them? You might want to see if you can switch those out from time to time to see if that has an effect. I can understand getting a bit emotional at the completion of a long workout series, but it was just a fit test. Was it the last fit test in the series? I might see a little crying on that one. Insanity can be pretty rough.
  • megsmom2
    megsmom2 Posts: 2,362 Member
    Options
    Probably similar to people who release emotion after a massage. Your body is holding on to a stress in a very physical way and the massage or exercise releases it....and it comes out in tears, or sometimes in giggles. Not all that strange...and I bet you felt good afterwards.
  • mockchoc
    mockchoc Posts: 6,573 Member
    Options
    No one should ever feel bad for crying. It has to come out sometimes.
  • paulamcampbell
    Options
    I can see it being a form of release after such a workout.
  • yo_andi
    yo_andi Posts: 2,178 Member
    Options
    Sometimes during a particularly hard yoga session I'll release some pent up emotion but it's rarely full-on crying.
  • tatd_820
    tatd_820 Posts: 573 Member
    Options
    I've cried during a spin on the elliptical and once on the treadmill while running. Once because a song came on that made me think of my deceased young nephew who died at 6.5 years old. Other time was a song that came on that reminded me of my childhood and missing my family (I live out of state).
  • Cait_Sidhe
    Cait_Sidhe Posts: 3,150 Member
    Options
    No, not even when injured.
  • DanielleDavids
    DanielleDavids Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    Do you have a history of panic attacks or anxiety? Raising your heart rate and becoming out of breath may be occasionally manifesting as an emotional attack to your body.
  • DollyMiel
    DollyMiel Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    No one should ever feel bad for crying. It has to come out sometimes.

Yes, I have cried once after a workout. It just happened and I'm not sure why. Maybe because it was really intense and I barely got through it? Just a whole lot of inner frustration at being fat for so long? I don't know. But it felt cleansing.

I've read about other people who cry because of workouts. Google it, even; it's not uncommon.

Edit: For what it's worth, I have anxiety and panic issues. Since that's come up a couple times as a possible trigger.
  • lisahewitt22
    lisahewitt22 Posts: 102
    Options
    After a really hard run sometimes i just break down and cry for no reason at all. I think it has something to do with endorphins?
  • TinaBean007
    TinaBean007 Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    It used to happen to me during intense spinning classes... that "runner's high" feeling would get to me sometimes. It wasn't that I felt bad it would just happen. Thank God the room was dark.
  • NuggetLovesEdie
    NuggetLovesEdie Posts: 477 Member
    Options
    Sounds perfectly normal after having intense emotions followed by release/relief.
  • lwagnitz
    lwagnitz Posts: 1,321 Member
    Options
    I found this article if you find any use of it...http://www.nbcnews.com/id/21073097/#.UYXV77VONnY

Also...if it makes you feel any better I have sneezing fits after my heart rate comes down after a work out... lol You're not alone who has a "work-out related idiosyncrasy", you could say.

I'm also familiar with exercised induced anxiety, which is why I asked earlier.