Can you overcome insulin resistance mainly with exercise??

Options
zzcharge
zzcharge Posts: 42 Member
I am almost 41...on OCP...and insulin resistant. I know I need to eat low carb and no simple sugar to lose weight. This is NOT sustainable for me...yet. I can have 3 no simple sugar days...lose 2lbs....day 4 have moderate dessert...step on scale day 5...gained 1 lb.
I am currently doing 30ds monday-friday am before breakfast. Losing inches like crazy...not no weight loss. Is this enough exercise to battle insulin resistance and lose some weight??? How much more exercise do I need to do??? I curerently eat around 1200 cal per day...not rigidly tho.

Replies

• goldfinger88
    goldfinger88 Posts: 686 Member
    Options
    Exercise certainly helps and you should keep it up. I do think 1200 calories is probably not enough and you need to reassess that.
    You might try 1 tsp of ceylon cinnamon once or twice a day to lower your sugar and keep it controlled. You can easily add it to a shake or make a tea with it - lots of things. The cinnamon will also speed up your metabolism and help you lose weight.
  • mockchoc
    mockchoc Posts: 6,573 Member
    Options
    How do you know if you are insulin resistant? Blood test or are there signs? I just wonder if I am sometimes is all. Carbs seem to affect me a lot.
  • zzcharge
    Options
    Over the years my glucose swings....one reading I can be borderline pre-diabetic and the next reading normal...and next reading low blood sugar. This started in my 20's. I feel different after I have had simple sugars. If I have one cookie too many...I feel the energy plunge and become shaky. I try to balance with some protein and I have a shot of braggs apple cider vinegar diluted every pm.

I dont have PCOS but I definitely have some sugar issues.
  • DebbieLyn63
    DebbieLyn63 Posts: 2,650 Member
    Options
    If you don't want to end up with full blown diabetes, then you will learn how to control your carb intake. Watching my mom die from organ failure from diabetes is enough motivation for me to do whatever it takes to dodge that bullet for myself. If you can't do it for yourself, then do it for your family, so they don't have to lose you too soon. Seek advice from your doctor and from people who actually have diabetes, or prediabetes, and are controlling it with diet. Once you become insulin dependent, it gets a lot harder to control. Once your kidneys fail, then it is all down hill from there.
    Find a way to break your carb addiction. You will be glad you did.
  • princessputz
    princessputz Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    I don't believe you can control it solely with exercise. I would try eating low glycemic foods, avoiding refined high sugar carbs. I've been doing this for IR so far so good.
  • mattschwartz01
    mattschwartz01 Posts: 566 Member
    Options
    Unfortunately, it is diet and exercise but mainly diet. Sugar is highly addictive but you just have to take the "can't" out of do and just do it. It's hard, I know but worthwhile.
  • sbbhbm
    sbbhbm Posts: 1,312 Member
    Options
    I am insulin resistant, severely. I have found that while exercise helps tremendously, it's still very important to keep your carbs in check. Feel free to read my profile and send an FR if you've got questions or would like some support. I've lost 140 pounds, and exercise is a huge part of my life, but I still have to take metformin to help keep the insulin problem in check.
  • kcaffee1
    kcaffee1 Posts: 759 Member
    Options
    As a recently diagnosed T2 diabetic who WILL not, should not, take medications for it (too many bad reactions besides the expected), I can definitely tell you that carb restriction and exercise is the only way to control the blood sugar spikes.

This does NOT mean take it to an extreme! From the diabetic group that I am part of, it looks like somewhere between 100 - 200 g of carbs per day, spread out throughout the day can be tolerated by most, the actual amount depends on HOW the carbs affect YOU.

Most try to avoid any type of grain product because of extremely high blood sugar spikes, but a few can tolerate these in moderation (up to 1/4 cup for some, others a little higher), while others have to stay away from cow milk. Same for fruits, some individuals can eat some types of fruits others can't and vice-versa.

As for the exercise, there has recently been an ongoing discussion regarding which type of exercise helps, and the GENERAL trend right now is that cardio (at least 30 mins per day from the looks - NOT CONCLUSIVE!) helps get the numbers down, and help keep them down.

From personal experience, I agree about the cinnamon. When I add it to my breakfast, and remember my before-bed snack, my numbers are MUCH better in the morning. I am not religious about testing throughout the day, so I don't have any proof there to offer, I'm working on that issue.

If you want to read more, and possibly get better help, here's the link to the group:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/forums/show/1789-type-2-diabetes-support-group

I'm still VERY inexperienced, and on a steep learning curve about what to and/or not to do. The above is my current understanding from the discussions I've read. There are MANY more people in this group with both more experience than I, and more knowledge.

Hope some of this helped, and I again recommend looking at the group for more information.
  • Shelialouise66
    Options
    You have to balance diet and exercise. It really is a complete mindset change. You have to learn to eat lower carb, it isn't even up for conversation. As a diabetic with insulin resistance and an RN on an ICU, if you love your eyes, kidneys and heart, you will change the way you do things.

98% of the open heart patients I take care of are diabetic. Seeing my dad die of complications of diabetes, changed my life. Carbs increase blood sugar, bottom line.

You need to get to a doctor, get a definitive diagnosis, buy a glucometer, and keep track of your blood sugars. Your local hospital probably offers nutrition classes to diabetics and you should check on it, they can give you invaluable information.

You cannot depend on the way you feel on any given day, or the advice of strangers, you need actual numbers and facts. Protect your organs. I lost vision by the time I was diagnosed and once it is gone, you cannot get it back.

Best of luck to you.
  • yo_andi
    yo_andi Posts: 2,178 Member
    Options
    You have to balance diet and exercise. It really is a complete mindset change. You have to learn to eat lower carb, it isn't even up for conversation. As a diabetic with insulin resistance and an RN on an ICU, if you love your eyes, kidneys and heart, you will change the way you do things.

98% of the open heart patients I take care of are diabetic. Seeing my dad die of complications of diabetes, changed my life. Carbs increase blood sugar, bottom line.

You need to get to a doctor, get a definitive diagnosis, buy a glucometer, and keep track of your blood sugars. Your local hospital probably offers nutrition classes to diabetics and you should check on it, they can give you invaluable information.

You cannot depend on the way you feel on any given day, or the advice of strangers, you need actual numbers and facts. Protect your organs. I lost vision by the time I was diagnosed and once it is gone, you cannot get it back.

Best of luck to you.

All of this.
  • zzcharge
    Options
    Thanks for all the encouragement!

My doctor has not even discussed any meds like metformin because most readings are SOOO normal. But I can spike very easily. I can feel it when I do. Never to Diabetic levels but to pre-diabetic levels.

When I keep my carbs to net 50-60ish...I will see some movement in the scale...And I can sustain that most of the week. But mentally I need a cheat treat...at least on the weekends. But that seems to derail weight loss for days. Any partaking of simple sugars seems to set me back for days. I was hoping through exercise I could have a treat and still sustain weight loss. Maybe not???/!!!!
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    You overcome insulin resistance primarily by losing weight (fat). That will do more than anything else. Exercise can have a temporary effect lowering blood sugar, but it is short-duration. To get the most benefit you must exercise more frequently. Resistance training is also very important.
  • TXBelle1174
    TXBelle1174 Posts: 615 Member
    Options
    No. I am insulin resistant and exercise alone won't do it. Unless you want to be diabetic you will need to learn to eat like one. If I stray from my carb allowance (given to me by my dietician and approved by my endo and Dr. for all you anti-low carbers out there) AT ALL, I gain weight. It's not water weight, it's weight!!! I not only have to stick to my plan but exercise 4-5 times per week to lose even a pound per month. My calorie intake per day is 1550 and my carb allowance is 50 net. At this rate, I should lose 1-2 per week but I don't. I am maintaining at this level of calories.

You need to see your Dr. and if your Dr. won't treat you, test you, etc. then find a new Dr.!!! I am on my third endocrinologist and FINALLY I am getting the help I need!

There are LOTS of low sugar or sugar free treats out there! You just have to be creative and search. I make a killer dark chocolate, raspberry cheesecake.. sugar free and wonderful! :)
  • recesq
    recesq Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • kcaffee1
    kcaffee1 Posts: 759 Member
    Options
    If you are heading into the diabetic reactions, the advice is NOT.

However, with that said, there are some things you can have that TASTE like the items loaded with sugars. I'm a recovering sugar FIEND, and I've had to learn ways around that obstacle.

If you like floats, there is an Adkins style treat that tastes great:
    Soda flavor of your choice with about 2 TBS of heavy whipping cream drizzled in - stir until it is marbled, and enjoy

One that I love, because it tastes like a decadent cheese cake filling:
    1 cup plain Greek yogurt with a scoop of protein powder in a flavor of your choice. Mix together, and enjoy!

I also have discovered how to make my own protein milk smoothies by playing around with stuff on hand in the kitchen that has a naturally sweet (yet low carb to protein ratio) flavor.
  • Shelialouise66
    Options
    You sound super sensitive to sugar. Have you tried increasing your calorie burn, to see if that helps? For me, I love carbmaster yogurt from Kroger, it gives me something sweet and it is low carb. Since I generally keep my carbs low, I don't crave the sugar anymore. I don't ascribe to Atkins, but I love the bars and they help me feel like I am cheating, when I'm not. I also look for recipes I can modify.

Yes, being diabetic is very hard. You will be so fortunate if you can keep it in the pre-diabetic stage. A healthy weight is key to that happening.

If you stick with the numbers MFP recommends for daily intake, do you lose?

Have you tried Stevia? I don't add artificial sweetners to my food and I try to keep my ingestion of them to a minimum. Stevia is a natural sweetner and may help you in your effort.
  • samntha14
    samntha14 Posts: 2,084 Member
    Options
    I am almost 41...on OCP...and insulin resistant. I know I need to eat low carb and no simple sugar to lose weight. This is NOT sustainable for me...yet. I can have 3 no simple sugar days...lose 2lbs....day 4 have moderate dessert...step on scale day 5...gained 1 lb.
    I am currently doing 30ds monday-friday am before breakfast. Losing inches like crazy...not no weight loss. Is this enough exercise to battle insulin resistance and lose some weight??? How much more exercise do I need to do??? I currently eat around 1200 cal per day...not rigidly tho.
    Why do you say low carb is a no way? I felt the same way. I have Insulin reactive Hypoglycemia and frankly it was carb binging my entire life that made me that way. I'm only 34. It isn't eliminating carbs in total that helps, it's increasing protein big time. I get between 100-130 g protein daily. I eat consistently every four hours on an 1900 average daily diet. Really I fluctuate between 1700-2400 depending on my training that week. Yes, I lost the nearly 20lbs I needed to loose, but getting off the body fat was way more important. I went from 34%BF to 22% BF with focused strength training. I've lost 21inches overall and dropped from a size 14 to a size 6 (reminder I only lost 20lbs) Don't negate a small scale decrease. Doing this, my blood sugar is 100% under control. I've only had one episode with low blood sugar in the past YEAR. Diet and exercise is all you need. Pick and choose your carbs carefully, get as much protein in as you can, supplement if you have to, good Lord knows I do, and give weight training a try. I found that straight cardio wasn't enough. Calories in vs calories out isn't enough when you are talking blood sugar issues. Macros are actually more important. I try for 40/30/30, but being a carb lover it's more like 45/25/30 (carb, fat, protein)
  • zzcharge
    Options
    I am not a fan of artificial sweeteners. I kicked the soda habit 20 years ago in high school. I never like diet sodas. My ONLY drink is water and organic tea with no sugars added.

When I have something sweet...its the real thing...not fake.

Maybe thats part of the problem
  • JaceyMarieS
    JaceyMarieS Posts: 692 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the encouragement!

My doctor has not even discussed any meds like metformin because most readings are SOOO normal. But I can spike very easily. I can feel it when I do. Never to Diabetic levels but to pre-diabetic levels.

When I keep my carbs to net 50-60ish...I will see some movement in the scale...And I can sustain that most of the week. But mentally I need a cheat treat...at least on the weekends. But that seems to derail weight loss for days. Any partaking of simple sugars seems to set me back for days. I was hoping through exercise I could have a treat and still sustain weight loss. Maybe not???/!!!!

Your diary isn't open, so it's hard to give any concrete advice or see to what extent you are indulging in those simple sugars. In general, losing weight improves insulin resistance. In general, carbs increase blood glucose. Carbs from grains, fruit and sweet treats raise blood glucose to a much more extremem level than carbs from non-starchy vegetables.

I never in a million years thought I would embrace a low carb/moderate protein/high fat lifestyle. Celiac sprue, diabetes and Hashimoto's slapped me in the face and I finally had to face facts.

You can't out-run your fork. Diet does the heavy lifting in both weight loss and blood glucose control. medications and exercise are secondary. Hypoglycemia and hyperglycemia to pre-diabetic levels are your body's way of telling you that it is having issues with the amount of carbs (simple AND complex) that you are eating. LISTEN to what your body is telling you.
  • zzcharge
    Options
    I think I am extremely sensitive to sugar....

Heres my entire food for the day: Nothing left out!

7am warm water with lemon and cayenner pepper
    8am 1 slice ezekiel bread low sodium with a little butter, 2 eggs scrambled in olive oil spray
    sipped on water and organic peppermint tea all am
    1pm out for lunch w/mr...ordered 6 oz sirloin...only ate half
    side salad with no dressing...ate all of it
    baked potato with butter...ate most of it
    1 chicken tender
    1 dinner roll with a little butter
    2 glasses of water
    5pm...made homemade chocolate chip cookies for my husband...I had 4 small cookies
    sipping on water all eve
    Will have my diluted apple cider vinegar as soon as i finish this post

This I consider to be a CHEAT day. But I can expect the scale to register somw sort of weight gain.