Wanting to start heavy lifting & far from goal..

Options
So I want to start heavy lifting. Which program should I look more into and why? NROL4W, Strong Lifts 5x5, or Starting Strength? Or any others to recommend? I used to weight train with my dad in HS and in college but it's been a long time. I can't afford a trainer right now so I need a good plan I can do on my own. Also I still have A LOT of weight to lose, is it ok to get started on this now or should I wait until I've lost a lot more? I always hear conflicting things about that. I'm also looking for friends who are supportive and log daily! So feel free to send me a message and add me!

Replies

• BarackMeLikeAHurricane
    BarackMeLikeAHurricane Posts: 3,400 Member
    Options
    Any of them will do. Just pick one and stick with it. Also, 5/3/1 is a good one to look into.
  • BlueEyedTXmom
    BlueEyedTXmom Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    Thanks I'll look into that one too.
  • iulia_maddie
    iulia_maddie Posts: 2,780 Member
    Options
    I started with NROLW. It was great for me as a complete beginner. And yes, start now, don't wait!
  • 1ConcreteGirl
    1ConcreteGirl Posts: 3,677 Member
    Options
    I started with NROLFW and swtiched to 5/3/1 by the end of the first month.

NROLFW is very simple to follow, 5/3/1 is even more simple, in my opinion.

For more information on 5/3/1, check out strstd.com

ETA: START NOW! My only regret is that I waited.
  • geekyjock76
    geekyjock76 Posts: 2,720 Member
    Options
    Start asap so you can minimize the amount of lean mass lost during dieting. It's very hard for women to actually increase lean mass so keep it when you can as it makes a huge difference in reshaping your body once the fat shrinks.
  • 1PoisonIvy
    1PoisonIvy Posts: 882 Member
    Options
    I have about the same to lose and want to do the same about weight training...please add me and let me know what you do, cause I don't know anything bout lifting
  • 1ConcreteGirl
    1ConcreteGirl Posts: 3,677 Member
    Options
    I have about the same to lose and want to do the same about weight training...please add me and let me know what you do, cause I don't know anything bout lifting

RESEARCH.

I recommend reading New Rules of Lifting for Women, and/or Starting Strength.
  • SarahSmilesCA
    SarahSmilesCA Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    I started with the principals from New Rules, but in the end created my own program that works for me because I use an inverted pyramid. Reps of 8/10/12, with the first set being the heaviest. If you can do 9 in the first set it is not heavy enough is the rule. Check this bb.com page for more info:

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/randy2.htm
  • craigmandu
    craigmandu Posts: 976 Member
    Options
    After reading the whole thing...I really like the stronglifts program. I know alot of folks who don't go 5x5 at the beginning, but rather do a 3x5 to start.

I wonder if 5 years since my 2nd back surgery is long enough to wait to start doing those exercises....I use to love squats when I was in my late 20s early 30s...
  • rick_po
    rick_po Posts: 449 Member
    Options
    I would start with Starting Strength or Stronglifts. They are very similar, so it's hard to recommend one over the other. They concentrate on just a few compound lifts, which keeps things nice a simple, which is perfect for people who are just starting out.