I hate my Scale(mini rant)

Options
Railr0aderTony
Railr0aderTony Posts: 6,804 Member
So I have had this stupid weight Watchers Scale for about a year and a half, it has never been very accurate in fact you can step on it three times in the exact same spot, stand the exact same way and get three completely different numbers that are not even close. So if you are looking for a Scale do not buy this one. very soon I am going to go all "Office Space" on it with my daughters baseball bat.

785579_fpx.tif

Buyer Beware- DO NOT BUY

Replies

• Rockytop_relic
    Rockytop_relic Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    "Damn it feels good to be a gangster" Best movie scene ever!!!!!
  • Railr0aderTony
    Options
    "Damn it feels good to be a gangster" Best movie scene ever!!!!!

office-space-flip-out-o.gif

Hellz yeah, this is so what i want to do to that Scale
  • bharriscar
    bharriscar Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    I feel your gain.
  • JJordon
    JJordon Posts: 857 Member
    Options
    omron_hbf_514c.jpg

That's what you need. It's a boss. Omron GBF-514C Body composition monitor.
  • vtmoon
    vtmoon Posts: 3,436 Member
    Options
    Does it add an ounce every time you step on it? And the people who programmed it messed up a decimal point somewhere? damn it, I wanted that analogy to work but didn't know how to work in the bank account with all the money.
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    Ditto's to the Omron. Only as accurate as 0.2, so perhaps that helps it. Only time it does a difference, is between those two 0.2 marks, showing true is probably in the middle.
  • SerenaFisher
    SerenaFisher Posts: 2,170 Member
    Options
    My scale is 10lbs light... its a liar! I found this out when I was pregnant and had to step on the Dr. Scale. :grumble:
  • SerenaFisher
    Options
    omron_hbf_514c.jpg

What does it cost? What does it actually give you just your weight? Or other things? I am going to buy a new scale soon.
  • hbfirstlady
    hbfirstlady Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    My WW scale does the same thing!
  • katy_trail
    katy_trail Posts: 1,992 Member
    Options
    I say screw the expensive scales. I use a cheap analog scale.
    it's not often the number is much different, and it ALWAYS
    looks like i'm close to the next 5 lb mark.
  • heybales
    Options
    omron_hbf_514c.jpg

What does it cost? What does it actually give you just your weight? Or other things? I am going to buy a new scale soon.

That removable handle you see is a double BIA body fat scale. So not just a signal up one leg and down the other to estimate BF% and muscle. Leg to leg, arm to arm, arm to leg. Allows improved accuracy as long as you do it right.

http://journals.humankinetics.com/ijsnem-back-issues/ijsnemvolume10issue2june/predictiveaccuracyofomronbodylogicanalyzerinestimatingrelativebodyfatofadults

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/11459523

Other models, but I'm hoping they kept the same good formula's or improved them since then.
  • JJordon
    Options
    http://www.amazon.com/Omron-HBF-514C-Composition-Sensing-Monitor/dp/B0020MMCDE

I paid 70 bucks from Amazon. WORTH EVERY PENNY.

I use it once a week, before I start my new week of exercises.

I get weight, bmi, body fat%, skeletal muscle%, visceral fat score, resting metabolic rate, and a composite body age score.
  • SerenaFisher
    Options
    Excellent. It has to be more accurate than the tape method.
  • JJordon
    Options

I use a Myotape retracting tape dispenser for inches, ONCE a month.
    I use fat calipers every quarter or every time I complete an exercise program.
    My BCM once a week.

All have their merits, just some I don't see the point in taping all the time, not with some much weight to go (68 lbs).
  • SerenaFisher
    Options
    I tape once a month.
  • Vailara
    Vailara Posts: 2,452 Member
    Options
    This thread has convinced me to buy the Omron scale which has been on my Amazon wishlist (not the one shown here, but I think it's a similar model). It claims to measure visceral fat, which is something I'm very interested in.

I hadn't realised that my Salter body fat scales were just measuring my legs! I have very chubby thighs! It will be interesting to see if I get a different reading with the new scales.

I also use a Myotape once a month, but I find that the body fat online calculators seem to give me too low a reading. I'm not sure why that is.
  • Stogie40
    Stogie40 Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    My scale sucks too. I have the Phoenix Talking Bathroom Scale. I've had up to a 10lbs difference. Once I changed the battery the difference is still about 3-5 lbs. I always take the highest number. Drives me nuts. I may check out JJordan's suggestion.
  • heybales
    Options
    This thread has convinced me to buy the Omron scale which has been on my Amazon wishlist (not the one shown here, but I think it's a similar model). It claims to measure visceral fat, which is something I'm very interested in.

I hadn't realised that my Salter body fat scales were just measuring my legs! I have very chubby thighs! It will be interesting to see if I get a different reading with the new scales.

I also use a Myotape once a month, but I find that the body fat online calculators seem to give me too low a reading. I'm not sure why that is.

You probably have one measurement that is out of proportion to the others, like skinny wrist but thick forearm. You probably know just which body part it is.

And too low a reading based on comparison to .....?
  • heybales
    Options

If avg body dimensions, even when overweight, couple good calcs can be within 5%, as can the scale. Skin calipers too. Throw the whole combo of 5% methods together, decent estimate.
  • Railr0aderTony
    Options
    omron_hbf_514c.jpg

That removable handle you see is a double BIA body fat scale. So not just a signal up one leg and down the other to estimate BF% and muscle. Leg to leg, arm to arm, arm to leg. Allows improved accuracy as long as you do it right.

http://journals.humankinetics.com/ijsnem-back-issues/ijsnemvolume10issue2june/predictiveaccuracyofomronbodylogicanalyzerinestimatingrelativebodyfatofadults

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/11459523

Other models, but I'm hoping they kept the same good formula's or improved them since then.

Ty JJordan and Heybales for the input, I will look into this scale.