Anyone have tried crossfit??

Options
I am 31 years woman looking for intensified workout. I am stretching for that last home run! But moreover I want to build some muscles, and especially on my abs. I can't afford personal trainer, and googling ab workout and trying to do alone isn't just motivating me.. So I was told that crossfit is in trend, so I wanted to hear from people who have tried or still doing crossfit. Thanks!!

Replies

• stacysegars
    Options
    I would absolutely love to do crossfit! We just joined a gym bc I couldn't get anyone interested in doing crossfit with me. I havent lived here long and not even sure where they offer classes around here. I heard it will kick your butt and really get your in shape! I know several people from back home that do it and really love it. I also love running and want to get toned up more to help my running. Good me luck with it if you decide to do it !
  • trogalicious
    trogalicious Posts: 4,583 Member
    Options
    I've actually gone to a crossfit gym to watch a competition. It's one of the better organized gyms, but I can't justify the cost. You'll read horror stories about gyms that have poor trainers/coaches and there was sort of a culty-feel to it... but I'm not knocking it.
  • jamiep926
    jamiep926 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    Yay!! So good to know!! I think by this I am making a good decision on crossfit. I will go try it out!
  • jamiep926
    Options
    I've actually gone to a crossfit gym to watch a competition. It's one of the better organized gyms, but I can't justify the cost. You'll read horror stories about gyms that have poor trainers/coaches and there was sort of a culty-feel to it... but I'm not knocking it.

Yeah... It was kinda pricy comparing to other large franchised gyms... That is my main issue...
  • jamiep926
    Options
    If you cannot afford a trainer, I don't think you can afford Crossfit. It is very expensive.

Well, personal trainer was $50 a session minimum of 1 session a week with down payment of $80 of one time fee,,,, VS crossfit was $240 a month.. So I'm not sure which is better. Well, the crossfit is unlimited access.. But if it gets me toned and six pack, I think the money should be invested. :)
  • jamiep926
    Options
    I would absolutely love to do crossfit! We just joined a gym bc I couldn't get anyone interested in doing crossfit with me. I havent lived here long and not even sure where they offer classes around here. I heard it will kick your butt and really get your in shape! I know several people from back home that do it and really love it. I also love running and want to get toned up more to help my running. Good me luck with it if you decide to do it !

Thank you Stacy! I think your reply really helped! It does get me motivated for sure!!
  • Cr01502
    Cr01502 Posts: 3,614 Member
    Options
    If you cannot afford a trainer, I don't think you can afford Crossfit. It is very expensive.

Well, personal trainer was $50 a session minimum of 1 session a week with down payment of $80 of one time fee,,,, VS crossfit was $240 a month.. So I'm not sure which is better. Well, the crossfit is unlimited access.. But if it gets me toned and six pack, I think the money should be invested. :)

Stronglifts 5x5 and you tube videos are free.

$240 a month is pretty steep. Also most trainers you see once a week for the first 4 weeks and then you switch to seeing them once a month. I would shop around for better, less expensive trainers before resorting to $240 a month.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    Crossfit is a ton of fun. You get to lift, you get to workout with a bunch of like minded people, you get to compete against others and yourself. If you want to try it I suggest you go for it. There's usually a free session and then 10 ramp up sessions. In that time you'll have a pretty good idea if it's for you or not.
  • koing
    koing Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    It's like £60 to £100 here in England, so $100-$170.

Can you put a price on being more confident and happy about yourself?

The main thing that people get from crossfit is TRAINING AS A GROUP OF PEOPLE. Everyone MOTIVATES each other to succeed and to do better.

I'm very lucky in that I have about 3-5 training partners so I never train alone. Training with friends makes a huge difference to training and your results.

It's up to you to decide if it's worth it but I'd recommend it, if you can afford it. OR join an olympic style weightlifting club. I'm sure it'll be cheaper and the people will be cool. You will build muscle and learn a new skill and it's what I do and coach :)

Koing
  • n3ver3nder
    n3ver3nder Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    This is a very fair and balanced review of crossfit from a well respected person who was actively involved in it;

http://70sbig.com/blog/2011/12/whats-the-deal-with-crossfit/

Hopefully it should help you address all the bad aspects of crossfit, that you will need to avoid. If you have a decent box with a good coach, with respect for good technique, you'll be fine. If you've got one of the koolaid drinking nutcases who wouldn't recognise a properly performed snatch if it hit them in the face, not so much.
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    Crossfit is a ton of fun. You get to lift, you get to workout with a bunch of like minded people, you get to compete against others and yourself. If you want to try it I suggest you go for it. There's usually a free session and then 10 ramp up sessions. In that time you'll have a pretty good idea if it's for you or not.

This.
    My husband wanted to try it, I was wary of all the bad form and horrible stories. We checked it out first, talked to people we knew who went then signed up for on ramp.
    I love it, basically what Dav said. I like the group atmosphere thing. I like that its always a challenge.
    I'm also lucky, it's only about $30 more than the gym membership I already had so its not cost prohibitive. I'd probably still pay more to go though.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    I think a lot probably depends on the particular box. I visited a couple of them when I was trying to decide if I wanted to do crossfit and wasn't overly impressed. Lots of people using bad form just to get the volume in...that's just a recipe for disaster. None of the coaches seemed to be correcting anyone or telling them to slow down either. I found them to be a bit cultish for my taste as well...both boxes I visited were very into the notion that if you weren't also doing paleo, you sucked which was enough for me to skip it.
  • dellis83
    dellis83 Posts: 20 Member
    Options

$240 is a lot compared to what I've seen. All the ones in my area are around $150 per month for unlimited.

It's great because I go 4-5 days a week and I get personalized coaching every session just as if I was getting personal training. It's totally worth the money so long as the coaches are good, and they put emphasis on proper form over hitting a certain number or speed, and its definitely cheaper then getting 4-5 personal training sessions a week.
  • LJSmith1989
    LJSmith1989 Posts: 650
    Options

This ^^

My gym would add another £40 to my montly fee to add cross fit!!
    currently costs £29pm just for the use of the gym (doesn't have a swimming pool)
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    I think a lot probably depends on the particular box. I visited a couple of them when I was trying to decide if I wanted to do crossfit and wasn't overly impressed. Lots of people using bad form just to get the volume in...that's just a recipe for disaster. None of the coaches seemed to be correcting anyone or telling them to slow down either. I found them to be a bit cultish for my taste as well...both boxes I visited were very into the notion that if you weren't also doing paleo, you sucked which was enough for me to skip it.

Yeah I have a friend who is a dietician and wants to go but she is afraid that she will end up on debates about paleo. I've been going for 2 months and haven't heard anything about it besides one poster on the wall.

I have seen our instructors get people to deload. I've seen our workouts come with earnings a few times about not trying to be a whiteboard hero and not to overload your weight on a particular workout.
    It really does come down to the gym and no doubt there are a lot of bad ones.
  • vickij85
    vickij85 Posts: 15
    Options
    Crossfit is amazing, it's the only exercise I've ever enjoyed and stuck at!
    You don't need to go to a crossfit box, you can do the majority of workouts (wod's) in your usual gym. Or things like burpees and squats you can do at home. Have fun!
  • Juliste
    Juliste Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    I did 20 sessions of crossfit so far. I try to look for monthly promotions in my area as it is pricey. However, I enjoy the challenge, the teamwork and the brutal workouts (WOD). Awesome!
  • MoveIt2LoseIt84
    MoveIt2LoseIt84 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I have quite a few friends who have done it and they all love it! They've definitely toned up and look great. It's hard but the good part is it can be tailored to your skill/fitness level. Most places will let you join for a couple free sessions before you commit. I want to do it once I get back into better shape. Right now I'm day 6 of Insanity :-)
  • jamiep926
    Options

See!!! I would love to workout with "Bunch of similar minded people!!"