Women Only (Being Overweight/Periods)

Options
Hi, I wanted to know if any girls who are 100 lbs overweight if they have a period? I got mine when I was like 11 and a half and it was pretty regular but when I got to 14-15, it became very unregular. I am now 19 and since I was 16, I only got my period like once a year. I do not remember when I had my last period.

Replies

• iulia_maddie
    iulia_maddie Posts: 2,780 Member
    Options
    You need to see a doctor. Seriously.
  • lightdiva1
    lightdiva1 Posts: 935 Member
    Options
    You need to see a doctor.

I have had a period every month (except when pregnant) no matter what my weight. I have been over 100 pounds over weight longer than you have been alive. It is not normal to not menstruate, and is a sign you need to see your Gyno stat.
  • catmanor
    catmanor Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    Yes I would agree you should talk to your Dr about this
  • herblackwings39
    herblackwings39 Posts: 3,930 Member
    Options
    I got my first one when I was 11. I did go through a period of time when I'd have one month with a full period and the next nothing. Birth control pills helped me to regulate it so it was more or less normal. I agree with the others who have said see your doctor. It's important to find out what's going on with your body.
  • YolieCreator
    YolieCreator Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    I started my period at 11. Was fairly regular till I got pregnant with my son at 19. Haven't been regular for like the past 3 years and mine have changed again since I started working out these past 2 months. You should probably get advice from a doc. He or she can give you the best answers
  • whierd
    whierd Posts: 14,026 Member
    Options
    Talk to your doctor. If you are only having a period once per year something is seriously screwed.
  • Bubbaluh
    Bubbaluh Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Yes, i had irregular periods the heavier i got (almost hit 300lbs) i would get one every other month and the amount of bleeding was petty, Being overweight can also trigger polycystic ovary syndrome which has a massive affect, Going to see a doctor will help you figure out what you need to do for your health! I'm at 224lbs and my periods are very regular, down to 28 days infact aha
    Best of luck on your journey!
  • iulia_maddie
    iulia_maddie Posts: 2,780 Member
    Options
    Double post
  • worldtrekker1
    Options
    You should see your physician. There are several medical conditions that may cause irregular menstruation. One common cause in your age group is polycystic ovarian syndrome, which may be treated through diet and possibly medications as well. Please see your doctor so that you may be appropriately diagnosed.
  • MaryJane_8810002
    MaryJane_8810002 Posts: 2,082 Member
    Options
    I get my period but they were so heavy I soaked a super tampon in an hour. Myy GYN at the time told me that this meant I was so overweight I was not ovulating.

My father's Ex Fiance was morbidly obese for over a decade and did not get her period until she lost over 100 pounds.

Your periods should probably regulate over time if you lose adequate amount of weight. But you should really see your OBGYN that way they can give you something to provoke your periods and to help regulate them.
  • mrydavis
    mrydavis Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Everyone is right, please go see your OBGYN. My dad is an OBGYN and he regularly helps women lose weight because of infertility issues. While it is not uncommon for overweight women to skip periods, it is most definitely not healthy. And they should be able to help you with a diet plan/look for signs of issues in the future. (Good) Doctors really do care about every aspect of your health. If you have any other simple questions (about seeing a gyno or anything), feel free to add or message me.
  • SusanleeBee
    SusanleeBee Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    Yeah, it's usually being underweight that hinders menarche, you should probably talk to an OBGYN, if nothing else, to rule out PCOS (polycystic ovarian syndrome) I'm over 100 pounds overweight, and have my period regularly (except recently, when I went on Implanon, which keeps me from having it at all). Fat stores estrogen, and so, if anything, it's normal for heavier girls to have heavier periods.

I don't think there's any need to be alarmed, but get checked, just in case. <3
  • mamosh81
    mamosh81 Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    i had my period also since the age of 11 but with 19 it stopped when i stopped taking the birthcontrol pill didnt have it regular for 10 years and doctors could not tell me what was going on. Last few years i only had it like once every 10 months and during those 10 years i gained almost 200 lbs i finally went to another doctor this year in feb. and she diagnosed PCOS right away i am on meds now to regulate my hormons and metformin for insulin resistence go see a good gyn and talk to her about pcos and get the tests done the meds are a life saved and made me so much better
  • mushroomcup
    mushroomcup Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    I've heard of this before on a TV show called "My Mad Fat Diary," which is based on a woman's account of her teenage years when she was overweight and dealing with depression and anxiety. The main character gets her period back after she loses a little weight.

Obviously this isn't to mean, "don't worry about it, I saw it on TV!" You should definitely still see your doctor to make sure that nothing is wrong. I just wanted to mention that I've heard of this happening before due to being overweight as well as being underweight.
  • Pixi_Rex
    Pixi_Rex Posts: 1,676 Member
    Options
    I would go see a doctor. I am 100 pounds over weight and my cycle is completely regular. shows up like clockwork every month and has since I was 10 or 11 (I don't remember it feels like forever ago)....
  • Robyn120
    Robyn120 Posts: 249
    Options
    When I got over 300lbs my periods became very irregular. I went 15 months without one once. I had to lose about 40lbs before my periods went back to normal..but I'm still very over weight. I think everyone is different though. my body just said "nope, you're too fat so I'm gonna throw your hormones off and make your periods irregular". But you could see an obgyn to see exactly what's going on.
  • louiselebeau
    louiselebeau Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    Your hormones could be way off! On a plus side, if you go to the doctor and they find out your hormones are off they could prescribe a plan that would make weight loss easier. I have never had irregular periods or anything like that, but I do have a hormonal imbalance. Being on birth control actually makes it easier for me to lose weight then not being on it.
  • TheDarlingOne
    TheDarlingOne Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    Sounds like PCOS - i would say check w/ your doc.
    I had my PCOS confirmed - through my thyroid endocrinologist i was already seeing. I had a total thyroidectomy back in 2005....but while seeing this thyroid dr i had went months at a time w/o a period. then i'd have one and think ah no worries all better - then i'd have like 3 months worth on sched seem fine - then skip again for several months.
    so mine was able to be confirmed through bloodwork at the thyroid dr.
    my dr has put me on metformin ER for my issue and the periods where not "i can pin point the day" are still happening on average 1x a month - so def. will help to ask a dr. :)