Weight gain when starting new program

Options
I have had this problem several times when I start a new or more intense program, like the 30 day shred or ripped in 30 ..Yes I know not as hard or intense as some of the other ones..but for me it is..And every time I start one with in a week I'm up 5 pounds. I am not eating much more (I might add a protein shake or a snack but I'm always 100-200 calories over or under with in my goal for the day). And I'm fairly certain I'm not gaining 5 pounds of muscle in a weeks time..Any idea why this is..I'm determined to not let it get to me to much and actually finish out the 30 days, but tbh a 5 pound a week gain kinda scares me.

Replies

• KaltieEm
    KaltieEm Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    5 pounds in a week seems like a lot, and if you still keep your calorie goal more or less then it must be water retention. I've experience weight gain and bloated stomach when started Insanity. From what I read your body can store more water when exposed to intense workout. Unfortunately there are 2 opposite reasons for it to happen: overhydration or dehydration. Dehydration meaning too less water with too much sodium, overhydration too much water with not enough sodium, causing imbalance of electrolytes and retention of water in body tissues. You'll have to justify by yourself. Again, from what I read another reason for weight gain can be that fact that if you start intense exercise you're breaking your muscle fibers, then your body stores water in your muscle to use it to regenerate your muscle. In any case, if you count calories and don't overeat I highly doubt you're gaining fat, so I wouldn't worry about it so much.
  • LilynEdensmom
    LilynEdensmom Posts: 612 Member
    Options
    Thanks I'm going to try to increase my water intake and see if that helps..and try to not focus to much on the scale while doing this.