Disapointed at hitting my goal... Anyone else?

Options

Replies

• ktsmom430
    ktsmom430 Posts: 1,100 Member
    Options
    I am 61, 5' 2-3/4", and less than 5 pounds away from my original goal of 140. I have lost what amounts to a whole other person. I am delighted to be on the verge of a healthy weight and have not been this weight for decades. I am definitely not disappointed, but am very relieved to have gotten this far and never want to go back, which I am sure no one really wants to do. I was a little dismayed to discover vanity sizing. I have never been a size 8 in my life, as far as I can remember, but I am wearing size 8 jeans now, and I will definitly take it, LOL.

The advice that others are giving re: toning should help.

You have accomplished something that is life changing, so congratulations and continued success!
  • sarahz1442
    sarahz1442 Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    I've lost 82lbs! Sound great and yeah I've been getting nice comments and recognition, for my efforts. My original goal was to get to 140lbs,(im 5ft 3) which puts me in the upper level of what is termed as a healthy weight range for me. Im now 3lbs away from that and I gotta be honest...Im a bit disappointed. I still have a huge amount of fat round my belly and it seems so unrealistic that another loss of 14-18 lbs will make that much of a difference to how it looks. Now Iam 42, so I gotta be realistic but I do feel a little disheartened. Has anyone else felt like that, after big weight loss? Maybe Im being over critical. :indifferent:

Your goal weight was my starting weight. I'm 5'4". I looked overweight at 140. I am not muscular at all though. It might be due to my body fat percentage. My ultimate goal weight wound up being 109. Still not completely satisfied, but it's better than I was at 140. I'm going to have to build some muscle.

I'm 38, so losing more weight at 42 doesn't seem unrealistic to me at all.
  • Crazy4Healthy
    Crazy4Healthy Posts: 626 Member
    Options
    I'm 43 and the same height as you, it's amazing the difference that 14-20 lbs can make. You should be very, very proud of the progress you have made. But don't be disheartened that it's not exactly what you thought it would be. Many of us have felt that way and we adjust our goals and keep moving along. If you are not already, I highly recommend weigh training, it had a huge impact on transforming my body composition. I'm not sure I would have been happy at 115 if it hadn't been for the weights.

Congrats on your accomplishments, you should be very proud of yourself!!!
  • sarahz1442
    sarahz1442 Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    I've lost 82lbs! Sound great and yeah I've been getting nice comments and recognition, for my efforts. My original goal was to get to 140lbs,(im 5ft 3) which puts me in the upper level of what is termed as a healthy weight range for me. Im now 3lbs away from that and I gotta be honest...Im a bit disappointed. I still have a huge amount of fat round my belly and it seems so unrealistic that another loss of 14-18 lbs will make that much of a difference to how it looks. Now Iam 42, so I gotta be realistic but I do feel a little disheartened. Has anyone else felt like that, after big weight loss? Maybe Im being over critical. :indifferent:

Are you sure this is your healthy weight range? The heaviest I can be and be considered in healthy weight range is 140 lbs and I am 5'6". I show yours being 121-135 for a medium build 5'3" woman. And that's on a chart with high estimates.

this is the chart I use and 140 is at the upper end of healthy for 5'3". It's the first chart with a google search of bmi.

http://www.nhlbi.nih.gov/guidelines/obesity/BMI/bmicalc.htm
  • leslieirving1970
    leslieirving1970 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Cheers Everyone ! :smile:
  • heatherloveslifting
    heatherloveslifting Posts: 1,428 Member
    Options
    First of all well done!!! That is quite an accomplishment! Celebrate your success!!!

And second, no one is perfect. I also have and ever changing goal, but try to appreciate your new body as it is now too! Hugs!
  • HeidiMightyRawr
    HeidiMightyRawr Posts: 3,343 Member
    Options
    Are you strength training? Lifting helps loads to recomp your body so you can be a higher weight, yet have a lower body fat % / leaner, firmer body. I've always lifted throughout weight loss so I wouldn't say I was unhappy at my original goal weight (130) but since I've focused more on building some muscle, I've found my stomach is a lot less flabby, even at a higher weight. (My stomach is my main problem area)
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    Start lifting weights. So many people neglect resistance training during their weight loss and burn off a lot of muscle while dieting...it's the dirty little secret that when you diet you not only lose fat, you lose muscle if you aren't actively trying to maintain it. this is because muscle is moe expensive to maintain...so when you go into a calorie deficit it is really easy for your body to start dumping muscle because it is "expensive" calorie wise to maintain.

Keep in mind that body composition work takes time. You'll need to eat at maintenance or maybe a little less and do a progressive resistance training program. When I say "awhile" I'm not talking weeks or a few months...body composition work takes a long time, but best to just get started now.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    Awesome job. And yes the last 14-18lbs will make a huge difference. Don't give up now. And if you still don't like the way you look, lift weights!
  • seanezekiel
    seanezekiel Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    Yes, over critical to say the least. Also 14lbs to you at your small size now is like 60lbs to your before. the smaller you get the bigger the difference. Ive seen more change in this last 15lbs in myself then I did in the 70 before it.
  • MoveIt2LoseIt84
    MoveIt2LoseIt84 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    You are definitely a hero to me. I am starting exactly where you started and I'm headed for the same end result. I think the most important thing is to feel comfortable with yourself. If you see more work to be done, then set your new goal! You can do it!
  • MoveIt2LoseIt84
    MoveIt2LoseIt84 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I have to comment on your weight loss! Congrats! You are a motivator for me...thank you for that and good luck pushing forward :-)
  • Garlicmash
    Garlicmash Posts: 208
    Options
    It isn't over you still need to maintain you're weight far too many ppl just stop doing everything and it starts to creep on again if not careful.

you should reward you're self with nice new clothes and make you're self feel really happy with what you have done.
  • sapf
    sapf Posts: 146 Member
    Options

You are almost certainly being too critical. Anyway, look at my profile picture. That's a 12 lb difference (I'm 5'4) when close to goal weight. Small changes in weight make a huge difference on short ladies, especially once you are near BMI 25 or so.
  • TreySully1
    TreySully1 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I've ....
  • TreySully1
    TreySully1 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    You've done an awesome job. Now throw your energy into a new goal. Your exact weight is really just a guideline. Being fit is a better gauge and it never stops. There's no finish line that we aspire to for fitness. We live it until we die. Modify your goal to fit what you want from yourself and you will likely stop being disappointed in a fabulous accomplishment.
  • khall86790
    khall86790 Posts: 1,100 Member
    Options
    Same, so I've given myself a new goal and it is less to do with weight and more to do with how I look. I think if you give yourself a weight goal it's pretty hard to predict how your body will look at that point as a lot of the look most of us want to achieve is down to toning and muscle building.
  • princesspea234
    princesspea234 Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    First of all... Congrats! Second of all, we've all been there... comparing ourselves to others... critically pinching "fat" in the mirror and wishing it away.

I have a BMI of 21.5 and still have bits that are pudgy.... my body fat is a 28 or 29.... I'm pushing toward a 22 to reach my goal.... it's attainable with exercise.

I would switch goals from that of weight loss to body fat percentage.... Start doing 30 minutes of cardio and 20-30 minutes of strength training everyday and you will notice a HUGE drop in tummy. I would look at doing a group fitness class like pilates, yoga, barre 3, body pump....etc a couple of times a week in addition to hitting the pool, treadmill or bike on the other days.. PLUS... a couple of days of strength training. Weight is one way to measure success, but a lot of times it isn't the most accurate.
  • nwg74
    nwg74 Posts: 360 Member
    Options
    I know what that is like. I have lost over 200 pounds / 54% of my starting weight and still have a big belly. I have to keep remembering that my stomach was 22" wider only a couple of years ago.

My back and sides have got nice and tight so it is only a matter of time before I lose a little more round the belly. I only have less than 5 - 10 pounds to go. This year has been very slow but I am always thinking what I could look like in 3 or 6 months time.