Accurate BMR w/ HRM?

Options
Online calculators are only general, right? Besides, there are so many methods that my recommended daily intake for weight loss varies (by, like, 300+ calories/day). If I wear my HRM for an entire (average day) 24 hour period, will this give me a more accurate estimate on how many calories I burn per day? Or is this just a waste of my battery?

Replies

• tappae
    tappae Posts: 568 Member
    Options
    The way I understand it, the formulas the HRM uses are only fairly accurate inside the heart rate range seen during exercise. If you wore it all day it wouldn't be accurate. All the methods are estimates unless you eat at a constant level for a few weeks and track your gain/loss. Then, you can calculate your TDEE accurately.
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    ^^^

This.

There is a known relationship between VO2 max and heartrate during steady state cardio exercise. There is a very low/no correlation at low intensity.
    Basically it is only accurate for estimating calories while doing steady state cardio (with the exception of some very expensive models)

ETA - keep on mind at the end of the day EVERYTHING is an estimate, the food we eat (no matter how diligently we log) our BMR, exercise calories, even HRMs have a degree of error when used under ideal circumstances.