Frustrating/Bad surprises

Options
brower47
brower47 Posts: 16,356 Member
Long story short:

I ate two firecracker stuffed jalapenos at On the Border last night and thought "no big deal". I could have eaten them all, they were so delicious. I get home, log my food... just one jalapeno had 320 cals!!!! I grossly underestimated that one. /sigh The roughly 640 calories that comprise of the two I ate just happened to be the 600 I went over on my goals for the day.

This was the biggest calorie surprise I've had in a long time. Oh well, it's just one day but my question is:

What's been your worst miscalculation that you found out about AFTER you'd already eaten it?

Replies

• ellaloveslove
    ellaloveslove Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    I hate when that happens. Mine was at Le Bistro Montage in Portland, Oregon. They have a delicious Old Mac with ham dish that is only like $10 and seems like an average portion of mac and cheese...ended up being 1800 calories! It is delicious though, definitely not our typical mac and cheese :P
  • babecon
    babecon Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    Chocolate malts from a diner here in Ireland.. 1008 calories each, sweet baby Jesus.
  • Vailara
    Vailara Posts: 2,452 Member
    Options
    Watermelon. I ate some before checking the calories, but hey, it's WATER melon! If it's mainly water there aren't going to be a lot of calories!

I checked afterwards and I'd eaten about 800 calories and used up all my calorie allowance for the day.
  • ukkiosan
    ukkiosan Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    Buffalo wings and certain kinds of beer :drinker:
  • Jstash88
    Jstash88 Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    Publix cheesecake! My son's choice of birthday cake today. Thought 1/12 of cake would be around 300 cal. NOT 420! If I had known that I would not have eaten it. 420? It's just not that good. BUT went for 4 mile walk to make up for it.
  • BigBrunette
    BigBrunette Posts: 1,543 Member
    Options
    My beloved venti mocha from Starbucks is 450 calories. I was drinking one almost every morning until I started counting calories. :brokenheart:
  • kirstyfairhead
    kirstyfairhead Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    Seafood Linguine. Hey seafood pasta can't be too bad huh......even if it's a creamy sauce........!!?

It was made with lots of bad stuff including double cream and when I worked back from the recipe it was nearly 1,500cals per portion!

And it would have been rude not to have a glass or two of wine with dinner.....!!

Sooooo many cals.
  • CannibalisticVegetarian
    CannibalisticVegetarian Posts: 1,255 Member
    Options
    I forget the brand name, but I'll never forget the calories....

I used to grab one of those to-go banana nut muffins that the school cafeteria had sitting to the side. Since they were so delicious, I often indulged in two of those bad boys, seeing as it would be hours before I got the chance to have another meal.

Soooo down the line I curiously checked the back of the package. ONE muffin packed 460 calories. That means that I'd taken in a good 920 calories BEFORE LUNCH!! :grumble:
  • ohmscheeks
    ohmscheeks Posts: 840 Member
    Options
    Everything in my diary, lol. I have never seriously tracked what I eat before. So, every day is like holy crap!
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    I'm the other way around now. If I can't find the nutrition info, I just assume that everything has a ton of calories.
  • LeeshLove
    LeeshLove Posts: 197
    Options
    Cheesecake Factory and their Chinese Chicken Salad, Calories 962 :sad: I could not believe it...
  • Lrdoflamancha
    Lrdoflamancha Posts: 1,280 Member
    Options
    Cheesecake Factory and their Chinese Chicken Salad, Calories 962 :sad: I could not believe it...

According to Eat This Not That.... Cheese Cake Factory is the absolute worst place on earth to eat. It is like they pride themselves on providing calorie bombs.
  • LeeshLove
    LeeshLove Posts: 197
    Options

According to Eat This Not That.... Cheese Cake Factory is the absolute worst place on earth to eat. It is like they pride themselves on providing calorie bombs.

yeah, I learned that the hard way.
  • mndamon
    mndamon Posts: 547 Member
    Options
    The sodium in a sandwich from Subway or Mr Goodcents is insane.
  • smantha32
    smantha32 Posts: 6,990 Member
    Options

yeah, I learned that the hard way.

If they're number 1, Chili's is #2.
    Even their healthy food has insane calorie amounts.
  • dunnodunno
    dunnodunno Posts: 2,290 Member
    Options
    I'm the other way around now. If I can't find the nutrition info, I just assume that everything has a ton of calories.
    Exactly. That's why I am leery on going to mom & pop restaurants from lack of knowing how many calories could be in the food.
  • melindasuefritz
    melindasuefritz Posts: 3,509 Member
    Options
    none i research the calories before i eat it
  • peopletalk
    peopletalk Posts: 519 Member
    Options
    there's this amazing appetizer at tony romas called kickin' shrimp. they're small shrimp, deep fried and sauced up.
    anyway, had one of those for my meal, went home and looked it up only to find that those stupid, delicious shrimp were 1100 calories!! yikes >.<
  • sabimausl85
    sabimausl85 Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    FRUIT! since WW allowes them unlimited, i thought they werent as bad -> FAIL!
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 9,925 Member
    Options
    Watermelon. I ate some before checking the calories, but hey, it's WATER melon! If it's mainly water there aren't going to be a lot of calories!

I checked afterwards and I'd eaten about 800 calories and used up all my calorie allowance for the day.
    6 pounds of watermelon will do that.:huh: