Snacking

Options
How has everyone made them selfs stop snacking? I think that may be killing me

Replies

• nancyalexand
    nancyalexand Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Just be sure you eat 3 good meals a day and everytime I want to snack I grab a bottle of water.When I want something sweet I eat a pack of the Welches Fruit snacks.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    I still snack a lot. I just eat healthier things within my calories.
  • BostonStrong617
    Options
    I used to not eat snacks but that led to binge eating at night most of the time. So now I stick to a pretty strict schedule. On days I work out I schedule a higher calorie snack for my post works out (normally a shake, greek yogurt with granola or apple & peanut butter or a banana PB roll up). On rest day it's actually harder because I am hungrier on those days. But I Prelog and try and stick to that. I eat 1400-1800 calories a day depending on exercise. Breakfast is normally around 8:00 AM and includes a coffee every day and then fruit w/ PB or greek yogurt w/ granola or special K or cheerios with unsweetened almond milk. Normally I keep breakfast around 200 calories. Then I have a snack around 10:30, normally around 100 calories, Special K Pastry Crisp, Small Apple, Dannon Light and Fit Greek Yogurt, Banana or some kind of 100 Calorie Pack (I really like Poptart Crisps) are my go to's for this. Then I eat lunch around 1:00 this also varies, normally I got with a salad with some sore of protein like chicken salad (taste of home has great recipe) or turkey or chicken breast, if you're a fish eating you could do salmon salad or a sandwich etc. Lunch is normally 300 calories. Then around 3 or 4 I have another snack, this is normally my "Cheat Snack" I got for something like chocolate, skinny cow ice cream or cookies, the "unhealthy" stuff I just go with the serving size which is normally around 200-250 calories. I go with what fits in my macros for that day, if I am doing a long run that day I really let myself splurge with something like a doughtnut or a cliff bar. This normally leaves me with about 550 calories for dinner, which is plenty. I used to eat like 800 calorie dinners before I started adding snacks. Now 550-600 is more than enough and I am almost never hungry after dinner. On exercise days I do have more to work with so sometimes I'll have an after dinner snack if I'm hungry. Really scheduling snacks works really well. If you're really not hungry at a designated snack time you can just save it for later, be prelogging allows you to know how much room you have for when you are hungry so you know when you get hungry you can eat it. I've found stick to a schedule REALLY cuts down on randon snacking/over eating. It works for me because now I'm never starving.
  • Amy62575
    Amy62575 Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    Snacking is good...if you budget it in your calories for the day. I also agree that it can help prevent binge-eating later.
  • laserturkey
    laserturkey Posts: 1,680 Member
    Options
    I snack all day. I just make sure it fits in my calories. What helps me is NOT eating breakfast, or eating a very small one, and consuming most of my calories from lunchtime through bedtime.
  • 111orBust
    111orBust Posts: 41
    Options

I started logging accurately and my daily caloric intake from crap scared the pants off me.
    That became more than enough incentive to put down the crisps and grab an apple instead.
  • Sharonks
    Sharonks Posts: 884 Member
    Options
    I snack all the time. fruit, nuts, veggies with dip or hummus, a couple of wasa crackers with pb, cheese or nuts. I generally eat about 4 snacks a day. I'm one of those people who has to eat almost constantly or I'm hungry. It is all in the planning. I find that I often make poor choices if I'm running around and suddenly realize I'm starving then end up with a bag of chips or something junky like that. I now carry nuts in my purse so that I have a quick snack with me at all times.
  • mistesh
    mistesh Posts: 243 Member
    Options

It's quite simple really. Just because your stomach talks to you or feels empty doesn't necessarily mean you're hungry. Once you realize that, you can let go of it and enjoy life until your next healthy low-glycemic meal. Forget anything about that so-called being full; you can be full and hungry, and you can be not hungry on a light stomach. It depends on what you eat. If it's processed food, the withdrawal at the end of digestion, not hunger, is what's killing you. If it's not hunger, don't eat.