How many people

Options
How many people on this board think that saying you can't afford to spend money on all the fresh veggies, fruits, meats, nuts and dairy (especially when your trying to eat organic) is an excuse?

I was told that I was making excuses when I couldn't afford to buy all the fresh meat, produce, nuts and dairy when my husband was laid off..........which did result on me gaining some weight back over this past winter, not my choosing. We were doing good just to have a few dollars to buy any food at all.

Please be honest if you think this is just an excuse or not.

Replies

• spaul82478
    spaul82478 Posts: 709 Member
    Options
    I don't think in is an excuse... I have the same problem I am limited to what I can spend so I must buy "off" brand stuff.. NO ORGANIC becasue well I would eat for a week instead of a month... However, there are good choices to eating healthy and being well BROKE... YES I soooo think that the US wants us fat.... LETS make double cheesburgers a dollar and chicken sandwhiches five dollars. IT SUCKS... but you just gotta look for the deals, use coupons and make stuff yourself... I make homeade Spagetti and it gives me 4 meals all for maybe 10 bucks. I use fresh peppers in my sauce too :) Some times you just need to read the lables and the ad's to get your moneys worth. Fast food is cheaper than going to the grocery store too.. been there... but Its changing the way of living. I hope this helps....
  • SassyMissDasha
    Options
    It's totally not an excuse ..
  • HealthyChanges2010
    HealthyChanges2010 Posts: 5,831 Member
    Options
    When I can't afford food or whatever, I can't afford it, plain and simple. Doesn't matter if it's veggies, fruit or gas in my car at that moment. I don't see it as an 'excuse' in my mind, to me it's my reality:laugh: . I suppose it depends on the meaning of excuse. I see that word as negative when ppl use it that way.

But that's just me:flowerforyou:

Becca
  • OnionCookie
    OnionCookie Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    No, its definitely not an excuse. Its a fact that healthy food costs more. Here you can buy boxed dinners and TV dinners for a dollar but two tomatoes will run you up to about 4 dollars. The thing that really helped my family was the fact that we eat less and much healthier now than what we did before and food lasts longer.
  • July24Lioness
    July24Lioness Posts: 2,399 Member
    Options
    I mean, I literally went from being able to spend 100.00 or more per week buying fresh veggies, fresh fruit, raw nuts and dairy, farm quality meats.............

to having to buy cheap walmart hamburger, cheap pasta sauce and pasta. Canned veggies, you get the picture.

Some weeks we were barely able to spend 50.00 for 2 weeks worth of groceries.

It really upset me in the other forum that the poster told me that I was making excuses for not being able to stick to the Atkins way of eating. Fresh foods ARE EXPENSIVE!!!
  • Thinwithin2010
    Thinwithin2010 Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    I was told the same thing and I don't believe it. I do have periods where I just can't do it. But it wasn't as bad as I thought as I wasn't buying all the junk and crap..and my girls are now much older and some in college.. Although thing's in life do change and since your husband was laid off you had to change your shopping ways to suit your family.. Some people just don't understand.. I learned years ago while food shopping with my friend. She would buy all the snacks, soda, icecream and so on for her children and I having 4 didn't understand why I couldn't get what my kids wanted.. I knew my husband and I were in a much better financial situation then them but when I spoke to my husband that evening he told me how it is much cheaper to feed the family on these types of foods and boxes of processed items..Upon thinking I realized she didn't buy any meat or some of the more expensive items. This explained why her children were gaining so much weight and I really felt bad for them..Things are good for her now..My own sister and brother in law have experienced the same situation this past winter. I was taking her to the food store buying food for them and not being able to do my own shopping, but we just buckled down and now things are o.k. You do what you can honey and feel proud of it. Maybe you can get some things and if not just try to watch your portian control.. Then you will lose what you are looking to lose.. Walking will help and it's free.. My favorite!! lol I wish you a better situation for your husband and where some might think it's an excuse don't listen,, Go with your heart!! You will do it!!
  • July24Lioness
    Options
    When I can't afford food or whatever, I can't afford it, plain and simple. Doesn't matter if it's veggies, fruit or gas in my car at that moment. I don't see it as an 'excuse' in my mind, to me it's my reality:laugh: . I suppose it depends on the meaning of excuse. I see that word as negative when ppl use it that way.

But that's just me:flowerforyou:

Becca

Another poster in another thread I repsonded to told me that I was making excuses because I was unable to stick to Atkins when my husband got laid off.

I couldn't afford the fresh produce (fruits and veggies), fresh and good quality meats, raw nuts, etc..............we just couldn't afford it this past winter.

I am just glad now that we have turned the corner and I am able to assume my lifestyle as I was previously.
  • OnionCookie
    OnionCookie Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    I mean, I literally went from being able to spend 100.00 or more per week buying fresh veggies, fresh fruit, raw nuts and dairy, farm quality meats.............

to having to buy cheap walmart hamburger, cheap pasta sauce and pasta. Canned veggies, you get the picture.

It really upset me in the other forum that the poster told me that I was making excuses for not being able to stick to the Atkins way of eating. Fresh foods ARE EXPENSIVE!!!

I tried the Akins and nearly went broke. I may be judgmental in that but I would say the people saying that have never been broke and had to live off 10 bucks a week for two or three people.

You are right. Fresh foods are expensive!
  • July24Lioness
    Options
    I was told the same thing and I don't believe it. I do have periods where I just can't do it. But it wasn't as bad as I thought as I wasn't buying all the junk and crap..and my girls are now much older and some in college.. Although thing's in life do change and since your husband was laid off you had to change your shopping ways to suit your family.. Some people just don't understand.. I learned years ago while food shopping with my friend. She would buy all the snacks, soda, icecream and so on for her children and I having 4 didn't understand why I couldn't get what my kids wanted.. I knew my husband and I were in a much better financial situation then them but when I spoke to my husband that evening he told me how it is much cheaper to feed the family on these types of foods and boxes of processed items..Upon thinking I realized she didn't buy any meat or some of the more expensive items. This explained why her children were gaining so much weight and I really felt bad for them..Things are good for her now..My own sister and brother in law have experienced the same situation this past winter. I was taking her to the food store buying food for them and not being able to do my own shopping, but we just buckled down and now things are o.k. You do what you can honey and feel proud of it. Maybe you can get some things and if not just try to watch your portian control.. Then you will lose what you are looking to lose.. Walking will help and it's free.. My favorite!! lol I wish you a better situation for your husband and where some might think it's an excuse don't listen,, Go with your heart!! You will do it!!

Thanks, we are in a better situation now. We moved from a very rural area to a metropolitan area (outside St Louis) and I was able to get a job at Anheuser Busch and my hubby got a job too, so we have definitely turned the corner.

It was upsetting for someone else to place that judgement on me to say that i could have afforded to still buy the foods to stick to Atkins when we couldn't.

I could have done it if I didn't pay rent, car payment, etc, but then we would be in a much worse situation.
  • savannah63
    savannah63 Posts: 15
    Options
    I don't think it is a matter of "excuse or not" I think it is more about learning new ways of doing things. I buy very little meat because it costs too much.. my main meals are grilled talipia (fish) and grilled chicken breasts (skinless), ... bean/veggie soup with a tiny bit of ham or bacon for taste, cornbread. For desert I have yogurt with fresh or frozen fruit. I never buy boxed meals like mac-N-cheese or tuna helpers ..my point being that if you cut out the bad foods you can usually afford the good fresh ones....although NOT ORGANIC ( those still cost way too much) Oh, I also use SOY and Tofu with my bean and veggie dishes. I live on food stamps ....$148 per MONTH and that is ALL that I spend on food ..( I am SINGLE ..no family or hubby to feed! ) But I hope you can do some experimenting and find some new life-style changes that you will like!
  • cutmd
    cutmd Posts: 1,168 Member
    Options
    I do think it CAN be an excuse. There are a lot of people with the best newest video games and fancy cars who say they can't afford healthy food. I say that's about priorities. You don't have to have money to be in shape, it's just not as easy.

For those who truly don't have the cash, it is usually a lack ingenuity that gets them. One may not be able to afford fresh, organic veggies, but he or she can buy frozen veggies and go to the farmer's market, take advantage of sales, etc. For protein, tuna cans and chicken thighs are cheap (if you skin them and eat that naturally smaller portion that cals are about the same). Hamburger without the bun is not an unhealthy part of atkins.

That being said, switching over to a less expensive diet/way of eating is probably in order, as balanced diet based on cheap potatoes and rice are more affordable. Any calorie controlled diet should be able to keep the weight down. :flowerforyou:
  • July24Lioness
    Options
    I do think it CAN be an excuse. There are a lot of people with the best newest video games and fancy cars who say they can't afford healthy food. I say that's about priorities. You don't have to have money to be in shape, it's just not as easy.

For those who truly don't have the cash, it is usually a lack ingenuity that gets them. One may not be able to afford fresh, organic veggies, but he or she can buy frozen veggies and go to the farmer's market, take advantage of sales, etc. For protein, tuna cans and chicken thighs are cheap (if you skin them and eat that naturally smaller portion that cals are about the same). Hamburger without the bun is not an unhealthy part of atkins.

That being said, switching over to a less expensive diet/way of eating is probably in order, as balanced diet based on cheap potatoes and rice are more affordable. Any calorie controlled diet should be able to keep the weight down. :flowerforyou:

Yes, it can be an excuse, but we don't have expensive fancy cars and the newest video games.

With the bills we had it was based on 2 incomes and when the 1 income went away, yes we made adjustments, but I am used to eating grass fed hamburger, free range chicken and eggs, organic lettuce, tomatos and most fruit.

The stuff you buy out of the regular grocery store does not taste like it was grown, it tastes like it is manufactured. I don't like to eat grains or beans, I like to rely on meats, fruits and veggies.

I know for us, it was not an excuse, it was reality and it was very stressful at the time. I don't want to have to go through that ever again.
  • savannah63
    savannah63 Posts: 15
    Options
    On the ALLI diet ( which I am on) it is not just counting calories but also limiting FAT GRAMS !!! Makes a HUGE difference!! :-)
  • mhannan13
    mhannan13 Posts: 53
    Options
    qoute::
    Another poster in another thread I repsonded to told me that I was making excuses because I was unable to stick to Atkins when my husband got laid off.
    quote::

I saw this post and she was being unnecessarily rude and judgmental. It is not an excuse and you are fine to follow what ever plan you like whenever you like. You shouldn't have to justify coming to this site or how much weight you've lost. I wish people could just realize we don't all have to use the same means to come to the same end. Do what works for you. You don't have to explain yourself. :heart:
  • LoveMy4Kids
    LoveMy4Kids Posts: 231
    Options
    I don't think its an excuse at all! Its cheaper to have a box of macaroni then a grilled chicken breast, brown rice, side salad and light ranch dressing!!!!! Thats a fact! There are times when I cannot afford the low cal foods or fresh fruits and veggies etc. that I would love to eat daily!
  • Thinwithin2010
    Thinwithin2010 Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    Oh how GREAT!!! I have friends that work there but in N.J. I am so happy for you!! People don't understand but the sad part is we are each entitled to our opinion on this site.. So take from it what you really, really want and throw away the negetive.. My reading that probally would have sent me right to the fridge lol and I'd eat something to avoid my feelings. But I won't give anyone that right to make me sabotage myself.. I just went thru those feelings and wrote them on my profile a few days ago and I was given the support I needed on here.. A wonderful site but as with anything sometimes a few bad apples.. lol Well good luck with your new life changes!! Glad things worked out.. If you want to be friends just ask.. Have a fantastic week !!!.. Kathy
  • HealthyChanges2010
    Options
    qoute::
    quote::

I saw this post and she was being unnecessarily rude and judgmental. It is not an excuse and you are fine to follow what ever plan you like whenever you like. You shouldn't have to justify coming to this site or how much weight you've lost. I wish people could just realize we don't all have to use the same means to come to the same end. Do what works for you. You don't have to explain yourself. :heart:
    :wink:
  • HealthyChanges2010
    Options
    Oh how GREAT!!! I have friends that work there but in N.J. I am so happy for you!! People don't understand but the sad part is we are each entitled to our opinion on this site.. So take from it what you really, really want and throw away the negetive.. My reading that probally would have sent me right to the fridge lol and I'd eat something to avoid my feelings. But I won't give anyone that right to make me sabotage myself.. I just went thru those feelings and wrote them on my profile a few days ago and I was given the support I needed on here.. A wonderful site but as with anything sometimes a few bad apples.. lol Well good luck with your new life changes!! Glad things worked out.. If you want to be friends just ask.. Have a fantastic week !!!.. Kathy
    What a wonderful thought provoking post from someone joining the site only this month:drinker: :flowerforyou:

Thank you and I loved your post and glad you took a moment to share it, tis true, we are all going to find our own way that works. We're all so very different, different bodies, different lives, different beliefs, be so wonderful if we could at least try to get along in regards to being in the same mind set of wanting to get and stay healthy in the best way for each of us:drinker: :heart:

At least in regards to supporting one another, what a great site we have to come together where who knows better than us how it is to be overweight and wanting to get healthier:wink:
  • July24Lioness
    Options

On her profile page it said that her reward for losing 47 pounds was to go swimming with the dolphins. She also mentioned traveling and snorkeling. Thats something else that I would never be able to afford.

Yeah? I can't afford that either, LOL............

For me, we are getting our bills back on track and we did join a gym 2 weeks ago, they had an intro special for me and hubby to join for 20.00 a month for the first 6 months.

We are getting our low carb lifestyle back on track, slowly but surely.

Shoot, we just got medical insurance back on May 1 of this year, so I am on the path to get my thyroid and diabetes under control again.
  • HealthyChanges2010
    Options
    :flowerforyou:

my post didn't seem to make sense to me after I finished it so that's why we all get the flower instead. Think I'm tired:yawn: :happy:
This discussion has been closed.