potatoes are fabulous!

Options

Replies

• theCarlton
    theCarlton Posts: 1,344 Member
    Options
    AUQGP6l.gif
    Mainly skimmed to see if this gif had already been posted. My work here is done. Thank you.
  • Derpes
    Derpes Posts: 2,033 Member
    Options
    Potatoes will always remind me of Dan Quayle........"potatoe"
  • Carnivor0us
    Carnivor0us Posts: 1,752 Member
    Options
    I love spuds too. Too bad they eff up my insulin levels, being pre-diabetic and all....
  • Querian
    Querian Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    I :heart: Potatoes!!!
  • Velum_cado
    Velum_cado Posts: 1,608 Member
    Options
    Potatoes are amazing. I love them to teeny tiny pieces. Mmmmmm...
  • Graelwyn75
    Graelwyn75 Posts: 4,404 Member
    Options
    People have some strange ideas. In a recent study on satiety, it was found that the potato created the most satiety out of a variety of foods, and I would agree. A baked potato with beans or boiled eggs keeps me full longer than any other meal I have, including protein heavy meals, so that totally goes against the sugar spike rubbish. I also once lost weight quite quickly having a baked potato and filling every evening for dinner. Potatoes are natural and wholesome, unlike many of the foods people are consuming these days.
  • UncleMac
    UncleMac Posts: 13,130 Member
    Options
    Just eat the damn potato because they be awesome!

AUQGP6l.gif
    People have written books about potatoes... For instance...
    51Cqr33s2kL._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_SX285_SY380_CR,0,0,285,380_SH20_OU01_.jpg
  • Pinkylee77
    Pinkylee77 Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    People seem to have magical thinking when it comes to food. I will eat fruit but not potato or I will not eat pasta. Your body breaks it all down to glucose and your brain needs it. Some starches will spike you glucose levels but your body knows how to take care of that. Italy eats lots of white pasta they in general are not obese. Ireland eats huge amounts of potatoes they are not all over weight diabetics. People hope that if they eat a special way they will not be over weight or have health issues it is just not true. It all comes down to portion control. Eat, move and be happy!
  • cook6609
    cook6609 Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    I love potatoes. Especially red skinned potatoes. For myself, I will definitely eat the skin of a red potato. It's sad that they do get a bad rep. I don't eat mine processed. I usually buy from my local farmer's market and cut one or two (they are the small ones) up and bake them with a little bit of salt and pepper. So delicious :-).... When I started my journey 4 months ago, I vowed that I wouldn't "cut anything out". I knew that would set me up for failure. I just watch my portion size. It has worked wonders for me. I don't feel deprived. If I want a potato, I eat one :-)
  • Froody2
    Froody2 Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    Love me some 'taties.

I got into all things low GI a while ago and gave up my microwaved jacket potatoes in favour of other veg. Then I thought - meh, pharque it, gotta die of something, might as well enjoy what I want within reason.

:drinker:
  • sawyermark
    sawyermark Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    I love my potatoes
  • xFamousLastWordsx
    xFamousLastWordsx Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    I could easily eat mashed potatoes everyday for the rest of my life :love:
  • etoiles_argentees
    etoiles_argentees Posts: 2,827 Member
    Options
    Mmmmmm... potatoes. Had some home fried with onions this morning. :love:
  • cavia
    cavia Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    Meat and potato girl here! I eat potatoes several times per week. Fondant potatoes are my favourite!
  • formersec
    formersec Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    I'm diabetic. Potatoes do not spike my blood sugar...in moderation, of course.
  • glovepuppet
    glovepuppet Posts: 1,710 Member
    Options
    I'm diabetic. Potatoes do not spike my blood sugar...in moderation, of course.
    i'm far more willing to take the word of diabetics on this one, because you're the ones who actually test your blood sugars to know this.
  • phoenix3050
    phoenix3050 Posts: 56
    Options
    Harvard Health has a nice list of glycemic loads of some foods for anyone interested on how it effects blood sugar. Everyone is different and it's just a guideline. The potato is near the bottom.

http://www.health.harvard.edu/newsweek/Glycemic_index_and_glycemic_load_for_100_foods.htm
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    My only weird thing about potatoes is once when looking up iron contents to combat anemia, I was wondering how come it showed "baked potato" as having lots of iron, but regular potatoes cooked other ways, not so much. That really confused me.
  • gonnamakeanewaccount
    gonnamakeanewaccount Posts: 642 Member
    Options
    Agreed. Potatoes are full of potassium, vitamins, fiber. Gotta love 'em!