Routine For 5K?

Options
Hello all, I am running a 5K in one months time. My current time is about 28:20, and I walk some bits. I would like to be down around 25 minutes when I run it and not walk at all. Any fitness routines out there that could help me train for this? I am alternating cardio and long/short runs, just need something to follow.

Replies

• KeithAngilly
    KeithAngilly Posts: 575 Member
    Options
    There are million plans out there..and a million people who will say theirs is best! lol! My personal opinion is to try and find one that fits your personality and tendencies and then stick to it. Any plan will work, in the end. It just depends on you. The Furman First method fits me perfectly, but there may come a time when that isn't the case. We have to be aware when something is working and when it isn't. Runners World has a bunch of plans online, geared toward various experience levels and Hal Higdon's site seems really good. Many folks swear by the couch to 5K program, but if you are breaking 30, then you'll probably want something different.

PM me or shoot me a friend request if you want to discuss the Furman program. I am on my third go-round with it and I have been able to make some decent progress with it, but, to be fair, I don't have any experience beyond a 10 mile run distance and a couple of 5K races. I have a 10K in a few weeks, and a half scheduled for the fall.

Good luck!

edit: actually, there isn't much you'll be able to do in a month. If you push to hard, you could actually end up running slower or worse, hurting yourself. I would just keep it simple, get some miles in and enjoy race day!
  • timeasterday
    timeasterday Posts: 1,368 Member
    Options
    Intervals and hill climbs will help. Good luck!