Basic HRM for HITT and Lifting?

Options
kopmom
kopmom Posts: 491 Member
I am looking for a HRM just to track my calories when lifting and doing any HITT. Any that are pretty basic but work well (an not too expensive would be good too)?

Replies

• Camille0502
    Camille0502 Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    If you have a compatible smartphone, I'd recommend a Wazoo. All you buy is the chest strap and it interfaces with your phone. Much cheaper than buying the strap and a watch. I've had mine since September and LOVE it!
  • KaleidoscopeEyes1056
    KaleidoscopeEyes1056 Posts: 2,996 Member
    Options
    If you have a compatible smartphone, I'd recommend a Wazoo. All you buy is the chest strap and it interfaces with your phone. Much cheaper than buying the strap and a watch. I've had mine since September and LOVE it!

I wish I had known that before I bought mine.

I got a Polar FT4 and it seems to work fine. I just hate wearing the watch when I'm doing pushups.
  • kopmom
    kopmom Posts: 491 Member
    Options

Thanks, I do have an iphone and do have it with me when lifting (to track my Stonglifts app) BUT I do not have it on me during HITT
  • phjorg1
    phjorg1 Posts: 642 Member
    Options
    there is no such thing as a HRM that works for lifting and/or hiit. your body uses completely different energy systems when doing these forms of exercise. Energy systems that are completely unrelated to heartrate. Any number spit out by a HRM should be considered as being totally random as thats basically what it is.

edit: spelling fix
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    there is no such thing as a HRM that works for lifting and/or hiit. your body uses completely different energy systems when doing these forks of exercise. Energy systems that are completely unrelated to heartrate. Any number spit out by a HRM should be considered as being totally random as thats basically what it is.

This.

A more on depth explaination here
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/Azdak/view/the-real-facts-about-hrms-and-calories-what-you-need-to-know-before-purchasing-an-hrm-or-using-one-21472