Should I work out before donating blood?

I've only donated blood a couple times several years ago and felt weaker afterwards.
I'm donating tomorrow at 3:30 and would have time for a work out beforehand around noon ( cardio and strength ).
I'm wondering if I should hold off on the work out until I see how I feel afterwards.
Thoughts?

Replies

• Mustang_Susie
    Mustang_Susie Posts: 7,045 Member
    Anyone?
  • 141by2016
    141by2016 Posts: 179
    Probably not.
  • andrea464
    andrea464 Posts: 238 Member
    Do it before, but make sure you're well hydrated and have a snack after the workout.
  • zrmac804
    zrmac804 Posts: 369 Member
    Do it before, but make sure you're well hydrated and have a snack after the workout.

Agree with this^^

You might not feel motivated to work out afterwards, so I'd do it before.

If you do decide to work out after a donation, wait a few hours and avoid very intense, heavy exercise. Choose a lighter workout that day and stop if you feel light-headed.
  • smw1023
    smw1023 Posts: 34 Member
    I would say before will be okay as long as you drink enough and have time for your heart rate and blood pressure to stabilize prior to donating. It is not recommended to exercise the rest of the day after donating. We have a date coming up-it is a Saturday so I will workout before donation time and see how I feel Sunday which is usually a "long-walk" day (vs heavy workout) anyways.
    Good luck!
  • bmiller211
    bmiller211 Posts: 222 Member
    don't do it after...I went for a run after with my dog and almost passed out after about 3/4 of a mile!! before should be fine just take it easy after!!
  • seena511
    seena511 Posts: 685 Member
    i always try to work out before. also: create a custom exercise in the database for either 500 or 600 calories and eat them back no matter what. don't wanna pass out, hit your head, and be unable to go back to the gym cause you have a concussion :-P
  • Lleldiranne
    Lleldiranne Posts: 5,516 Member
    I've donated blood (well, platelets, but pretty much the same) the same day as working out, with the workout first. It works out okay, especially if you're familiar with how donating affects your body.

Give yourself several hours between the end of the workout and the time that you are going to donate. Working out will increase your heartrate (duh) and your body temperature. They can retake your pulse if it is too high, but can't retake your temperature (at least, not here … don't know how universal the rules are). Make sure you drink plenty of water, too, as going in dehydrated puts you at risk of feeling sick after.

I wouldn't suggest working out after. Again, it's a bit different, but after platelets, they tell you to be careful and not do any heavy work the rest of the day. I believe that with whole blood, they tell you to take it easier, too.
  • tanetti
    tanetti Posts: 38 Member
    Yes. After donating whole blood it took me a good 3-4 weeks to have a good run again, and I was just kind of tired with my other workouts for a few days afterward. So yes, work out beforehand.
  • YoungDoc2B
    YoungDoc2B Posts: 1,593 Member
    Absolutely do it before
  • Mustang_Susie
    Mustang_Susie Posts: 7,045 Member
    My schedule changed and I am able to work out at 9:00 this morning so I should have plenty of time to eat and hydrate before donating.
    Thanks for your responses :smile: