Clean Eating Recipes

Options
Fighting4Healthy
Fighting4Healthy Posts: 336 Member
I need some clean eating recipes. Especially ones that are kids-friendly because I have some very picky eaters. I am trying to make this switch because I realized that a lot of the foods I was eating and making have a lot of ingredients that I cannot even pronounce! And my aut sent me an article about aspartame and I realized that a lot of the foods I make have aspartame in them. So now I am getting rid of everything processed, boxed and canned in my house and I am going completely clean if I can. I just need some help in finding recipes. I am not very good in the kitchen, everything I have ever made came out of a box or a can. so help...please.

Replies

• abcteach2
    abcteach2 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    The websites 100daysofrealfood.com and thegraciouspantry.com have some great recipes on them.

http://www.100daysofrealfood.com/

http://www.thegraciouspantry.com/
  • shadowlydarkness
    shadowlydarkness Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    Youtube could be a great help in learning how to cook some simple dishes. Also you might want to get a few cookbooks if you havent got many yet. I love cooking and love using fresh products when I can.

You can always email me for tips. Just send me an ingredient list and I will think of something yummy you can make! :) I love doing this!

I saw on tv somewhere a mom making carrot spaggeti for her kids and they loved it: you just grate carrots so they look like spagetti and then stirfry them in tomato sauce until their nice and soft. It sounds yummy! I havent tried it but I could imagne if you add some fresh garlic and parsely, and maybe make some fresh meatballs it could be a real crowd pleaser!
  • Fighting4Healthy
    Fighting4Healthy Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    abcteach2- Thanks, I took the clean eating 10 day pledge, starting 5/15/13 I am so excited!!!!

shadowlydarkn- Thank you so much! Expect a lot of e-mails from me wondering how to put different ingredients together to make them tasty. :-)
  • kaylindeschanel
    kaylindeschanel Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    Healthy+Cornbread+Recipe.jpg
    Healthy Cornbread Muffins - makes 10 muffins or 1 small loaf
    gluten free, vegan, low fat

Ingredients
    1 1/2 cups Gluten Free Polenta/Cornmeal
    1/2 cup Plain Flour/GF Plain Flour (if GF)
    3/4 cup Unsweetened Applesauce
    Pinch of salt
    1/2 tsp Baking Powder
    1/2 tsp Baking Soda
    ~1/2 cup Water or Milk of your choice
    Optional: I added in some ground flax to this batch for a little something extra and it was delicious! Feel free to add in whatever mix ins you feel like.

Preheat your oven to 180°C/355°F
    Prepare your muffin tins or loaf/cake tin
    Combine your polenta, plain flour, salt, baking soda and baking powder in a bowl
    Mix in your applesauce, adding enough water/milk to combine all ingredients and form a thick batter.
    Pour your mixture into your muffin tins/loaf tin.
    For muffins: Bake for ~15 minutes or until a skewer inserted removes clean
    For a cake/loaf tin: Cooking time depends on the size and thickness of your loaf - in a small loaf tin, my mixture took ~30 minutes, however, keep an eye on yours!

fudge-4.jpg?w=490&h=328

Clean eating fudge
    Ingredients:
    1 ripe banana
    10 dates
    1/2 cup coconut oil
    2/3 cups unsweetened cocoa powder

Process the dates in a food processor.
    Melt the coconut oil.
    Mix all ingredients in the food processor until its a smooth paste.
    Fill in a pan (on baking paper) and cool in the fridge until hard.
    The texture is nearly the same as real fudge and the flavor is great!! I love this recipe so much, I already made a variation of it too. I switched a part of the cocoa powder for protein powder and added orange oil, mmmh!!
  • kaylindeschanel
    Options
    DSC03940.jpg
    I'm on a bit of a brownie kick lately, so it's only natural that this is one of my favorites.

Chocolate Protein Brownies
    makes 6 low fat protein brownies that can be gluten free, wheat free and/or vegan.

1/2 cup quinoa flakes or rolled oats or extra 1/2C flour*
    1/2 cup peanut flour or protein powder
    1/4 cup cocoa powder
    1/4 cup gluten free flour/gluten free pancake mix/plain flour/whole wheat flour
    1/2 tsp salt
    1 tbsp baking powder
    1/2 cup + 2 tbsps applesauce
    2 tsp vanilla extract
    1/2C + 2 tbsp milk of your choice
    ~1/4-1/2 cup sugar (depending on your tastes)
    Optional: 1/4-1/2 cup chocolate chips

Preheat oven to 180°C/355°F.
    Prepare a texas sized muffin tin (or ~10 regular sized muffins) or grease and line an 8x8 baking pan.
    In a bowl combine the first 6 dry ingredients.
    To dry ingredients, add in applesauce, vanilla, milk and sugar and mix until combined.
    If using, stir in chocolate chips and spoon out mixture into muffin cups or prepared pan.
    Bake for 15-20 minutes for muffins/20-25 minutes for bars or until set and the edges start to pull in from the sides.
    Allow to cool before slicing, eating, storing in the fridge or freezing.
  • sunshyncatra
    sunshyncatra Posts: 598 Member
    Options
    Bump because I can't get my preschooler to eat dinner. His favorite meal is breakfast because he loves cereal and fruit (and may be starving by that time because he refused to eat what we were having for dinner).
  • kaylindeschanel
    Options
    Snapshot-2013-02-21-20-31-36.jpg

another healthy alternative to satisfy a sweet tooth.
    Ingredients
    3½ oz dark chocolate (at least 70% cocoa, preferably unsweetened or with unrefined sweetener)
    1 cup pitted dates
    2 oz pecan halves

Directions
    Process dates in a food processor until they become a sticky and very thick jam-like consistency.
    Roll the processed dates into 15 small balls, place on a lightly greased cookie sheet.
    Press 3 pecan halves into the date balls.
    Heat a small saucepan over low heat, add in dark chocolate and slowly melt into a sauce.
    Pour a small amount of sauce over each date/pecan ball.
    Place in the fridge to set for at least 10 minutes – the chocolate will harden and hold everything together.
    Enjoy!

Nutritional Information
    Serving size: 1 turtle Calories: 80.9kcal Fat: 5.3g Carbohydrates: 9.8g Sugar: 7.7g Fiber: 0.8g Protein: 0.9g
  • kaylindeschanel
    Options
    Ground-Beef-and-Green-Olives-Pizza.png

INGREDIENTS
    ¼ pizza dough
    ¼ cup tomato sauce (I used Eden Organic)
    100g mushrooms, sliced
    ¼ green bell pepper, diced
    200g beef from top round, ground
    ½ tsp onion powder
    ½ tsp garlic powder
    ½ tsp fennel seeds, crushed
    Pinch Himalayan or fine sea salt
    ¼ tsp freshly cracked black pepper
    100g light mozzarella cheese, grated
    4 tbsp sliced green olives

INSTRUCTIONS
    Preheat oven to 500F.
    In a small non-stick pan that’s been preheated over medium-high heat, add ground beef, onion powder, garlic powder, crushed fennel seeds, salt and pepper and cook until beef turns nice and golden brown.
    Transfer the beef to a plate or bowl and add the mushrooms to the hot pan; cook until golden on both sides.
    Turn off the heat and reserve.
    On a well-floured surface (I like to use cornmeal), roll the pizza dough into a thin 10-12 inch disc and lay it on a baking sheet.
    Spread tomato sauce evenly on the dough; top with mushrooms and half the bell peppers; add ¾ of the mozzarella cheese, followed by the ground beef, the rest of the bell peppers and sliced olives.
    Finally, add the rest of the mozzarella cheese.
    Bake in the oven for about 10 minutes, until cheese is melted and the crust starts to color on the edge.

Total calories: 312cal
  • kaylindeschanel
    Options
    sorry if i'm getting carried away -these are the last ones, i promise!

P1019228-1024x768.jpg

This recipe made 24 sandwiches, with some extra frosting to spare. These cookies were just over an inch in diameter. You should make a double batch. If you don’t have coconut manna, these would taste amazing with just plain peanut butter with a little date paste to sweeten it.

Ingredients
    COOKIES:
    ½cup peanut butter powder
    ½ cup flour (I used spelt)
    ⅓cup date paste (soak ⅓ cup packed pitted dates in 1.3 ounces of water, and puree)
    1 t vanilla
    2 T coconut oil
    ¼ t salt

FROSTING:
    ¼ cup smooth peanut butter
    ¼ cup coconut manna melted (this is coconut meat pureed all smooth).
    2T date paste

Instructions
    Preheat oven to 300.
    You should probably make ½ cup of date paste (to do so, take ½ cup pitted dates, and soak with ¼ cup very hot water, and then puree).
    Mix together wet cookie ingredients, and then fold in dry ingredients.
    Roll onto a piece of parchment (I like to use parchment between the rolling pin and the dough as well, so I don’t pile on the flour to avoid sticking).
    Use a cookie cutter and cut ‘em.
    You can then transfer the parchment to baking sheets (I used 2).
    Bake for 12 minutes. Restrain yourself while they cool!
    While they’re baking, mix together the frosting.
    You can melt the coconut manna at low heat, and then add it to a bowl with the other ingredients.
  • shadowlydarkness
    shadowlydarkness Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    All those recipes sound yummy!
  • Joehenny
    Joehenny Posts: 1,222 Member
    Options
    What do you mean by "clean"? The term is so ambiguous in nature.
  • xxTracey
    xxTracey Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    bump! :) x
  • jdad1
    jdad1 Posts: 1,899 Member
    Options
    Peanut-Butter-Cup-Stuffed-Oreos-1.jpg
  • mkdanhoff
    mkdanhoff Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    So what is "clean" exactly? It seems to mean different things to different people... I see it a lot on these boards, but don't really know.
  • jdad1
    Options
    So what is "clean" exactly? It seems to mean different things to different people... I see it a lot on these boards, but don't really know.

It can be used as a few different things. However the word really just means eating good healthy foods. (it is the definition of "good healthy foods" that varies between everyone)
  • SamanthaClarexo
    SamanthaClarexo Posts: 353 Member
    Options

It can be used as a few different things. However the word really just means eating good healthy foods. (it is the definition of "good healthy foods" that varies between everyone)

'Clean', as far as I am aware, means food that is 'unprocessed'. Please feel free to correct me if I'm wrong!
  • jdad1
    Options

'Clean', as far as I am aware, means food that is 'unprocessed'. Please feel free to correct me if I'm wrong!

Generally yes, but it is often used by many that have no idea what that means. Whey protein is processed for just one example. However like i said before, it can be most widely accepted as just eating healthy foods.
  • tekwriter
    tekwriter Posts: 923 Member
    Options
    Another place to look is eating well .com. they have some wonderful recipes and use very little prepared foods. I don't know that I would dump my canned foods. I am talking about canned veggies and fruits. I don't use them as often anymore, but we eat a lot of tomatoes.
  • SamanthaClarexo
    SamanthaClarexo Posts: 353 Member
    Options

Generally yes, but it is often used by many that have no idea what that means. Whey protein is processed for just one example. However like i said before, it can be most widely accepted as just eating healthy foods.

Ahhh I see! Yes I understand what you mean.
  • Going4Lean
    Going4Lean Posts: 1,077 Member
    Options
    Bump