Ladies, embarassing but I need to ask!

Options
Ok, so I have been working out like crazy and all of a sudden, I end up with a yeast infection. I haven't had one since I was a teenager wearing skin-tight jeans. Anyway, has this happened to anyone else? I'm thinking it could be from all the sweat, what do you think? Sometimes I am not able to shower for up to 2 hours after a workout. Any suggestions as to how to avoid this happening again. I had forgotten how awful a yeast infection is. Well now that I am thouroughly embarassed, I will post before I chicken out. Thanks

Replies

• kimdommerc
    Options
    Ok, so I have been working out like crazy and all of a sudden, I end up with a yeast infection. I haven't had one since I was a teenager wearing skin-tight jeans. Anyway, has this happened to anyone else? I'm thinking it could be from all the sweat, what do you think? Sometimes I am not able to shower for up to 2 hours after a workout. Any suggestions as to how to avoid this happening again. I had forgotten how awful a yeast infection is. Well now that I am thouroughly embarassed, I will post before I chicken out. Thanks
  • xmimikinsx
    xmimikinsx Posts: 191
    Options
    FemFresh!

Or some other feminine hygiene wipes etc
  • TamTastic
    TamTastic Posts: 19,224 Member
    Options
    I haven't gotten one from working out and I sometimes run a few errands after the gym too. It COULD be what you are wearing. I wear comfortable sweat pants, undies, etc. And a loose fitting top. Not that the top has anything to do with the yeast infection, but I have read that loose-fitting, cotton workout gear is the best for a woman to avoid any "sweat" related problems.
  • deanea
    deanea Posts: 1,437
    Options
    Not quite sure, your body chemistry is probably changing a bit as you are detoxing from poor eating choices in the past....
  • Mireille
    Mireille Posts: 5,134 Member
    Options
    I'm thinking it is because you aren't able to shower after you work out. It's probably caused by the moisture. If you can't shower, maybe your could use a baby wipe or something to clean the "area" and and change your underwear. Maybe that would help.
    Having an infection sucks big time.

:flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:
  • kimdommerc
    Options
    Thanks girsl, I did buy some feminine wipes. I'll try that. Thanks too for not making me bad about it:flowerforyou:
  • deanea
    deanea Posts: 1,437
    Options
    Ok, I just went on the internet and looked my previous theory up, my post is totally wrong!:embarassed: But I suggest you do a search on the web, very informative and has some good suggestions for further prevention.
  • kimdommerc
    Options
    Thanks Deanea!
  • catlady
    catlady Posts: 9
    Options
    There is a two pill cure now - works great. I get them frequently if I take antibiotics for any reason. The drug is flo-something (it think) - your doctor should know.
  • ohthatbambi
    ohthatbambi Posts: 1,098 Member
    Options
    Had that problem. It was last May and it happened every month until the weather got cooler. My doctor finally called in a refillable prescription of diflucan so that if I feel one coming on I can pop one of those and stop it before it really gets a chance to start!

Also, have you changed your diet? I was eating a very low carb diet so if I drank beer or ate anything with sugar in it, it seemed to trigger one. I gradually started adding some carbs back in though b/c I can't go through life like that!!
  • KatWood
    KatWood Posts: 1,135 Member
    Options
    I have had one recently and my doctor told me that working out probably contributed. I too have the bad habit of not always showering right after a workout. My doctor also said that tight unbreathable clothes can also cause them. Get the pills from your doc, they work great. The over the counter stuff can be messy and isn't very effective.
  • sr2000
    sr2000 Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    Thanks girsl, I did buy some feminine wipes. I'll try that. Thanks too for not making me bad about it:flowerforyou:
    Be sure not to use anthing with soaps or scents, that can make the problem worse. I have been told by dr's and nurses to clean with plain clear water, and dry well, and as mentioned loose cotton clothing. And if you can't get to a shower, a clean wet washcloth and a change of underwear....thing is, now that this topic has been brought up, I need to take some of this advice as I have had some discomfort with this since increasing my exercise! I did just get a natural tablet that is supposed to help treat and prevent yeast infections, it's Azo. There are also several candida (yesat) cleanses that your can find at many natural and organic stores. In the past I have had to cut out sugars, including a reduction of fruit for awhile, might have to do that again.
  • Phatmomma
    Phatmomma Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    I used to get them all the time in college. I'm not embarrassed because it is just our bodies. Everyone has yeast all over their body and inside it. It is when it overgrows tha we get a problem. Now that said. what caused it was I worked out then, a LOT, like a crazy person. Seriously all the time, every day and night. It's more than likely you not taking off your wet gym clothes. Workout in cotton panties or none at all. Plus when you sweat it activates the detergent in your clothing or rather the residue which can also cause irritation and yeast. You can fix it naturally by taking some acidophilis, and take one capsule every day to PREVENT them from occuring in the first place. You can now get it in yogurt already. I'm vegetarian so I take the pills witht he active culture. I'm super sensitive to dyes, sweat, latex, perfumes, dies-you name it lol. So I have to be super cautious when working out.
  • littleone68
    littleone68 Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    yeast is found naturally in your mouth, vagina, and intestines. What causes it to multiply is environment, not perfume, dyes in clothes or laundry detergent. The perfect environment for the yeast to multiply is a moist, non ventilated area, hence the tight jeans and the unbreathable fabrics. There are some medications and illnesses that can be a contributing factor as well. Try this web site for more information
    http://www.healthline.com/adamcontent/vaginal-yeast-infection.
  • Phatmomma
    Phatmomma Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    ACTUALLY dyes and the like irritate some women vaginally. Irritation i.e. rash, swelling, discharge create moist environments and can create yeast friendly conditions. Yeast is also found in the brain as well as your ears, and other body parts. Actually if you had READ my post I did not say dyes cause yeast I said I was prone to IRRITATION from the items listed. And that I use caution with anything that causes problems. I also stated that you can prevent yeast from overgrowing naturally.
  • lietee
    lietee Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    ty this has been bery helpful to me as well. The same thing has been happening to me over the last 2 months. Its got to be from all the exercize i have been doing. Iexercize daily but cannot take a daily bath due to my chrnic eczema all over my body. Granted that when you do have eczema you do have a higher content of yeast in your system. But with my weight loss my body has been freaking out due to weather changes and my eczema. TY for all your imput
  • bjigglepants
    Options
    cotton panties make for a happy cooter *nods*

if you don't want to spend money on feminine wipes, regular ol' baby wipes work just as well. especially if you get the unscented kind. come to think of it, they're probably better for your cooter than fem wipes since they're just water and soap.
  • icupfunny2000
    icupfunny2000 Posts: 470 Member
    Options

if you don't want to spend money on feminine wipes, regular ol' baby wipes work just as well. especially if you get the unscented kind. come to think of it, they're probably better for your cooter than fem wipes since they're just water and soap.

:laugh: cooter..... i call it a nunnie..... my best friend who i have known since i was 2 always called it a dinkydoor (thats what her mom told her it was called..... we didnt figure out till we were adults what dinkydoor meant :laugh:
  • MFS27
    MFS27 Posts: 549 Member
    Options
    Too funny!! My MIL calls it a "lassie" (she is foreign born so I had to explain our confusuion when she was refering to my daughter's nether parts!)

:laugh: cooter..... i call it a nunnie..... my best friend who i have known since i was 2 always called it a dinkydoor (thats what her mom told her it was called..... we didnt figure out till we were adults what dinkydoor meant :laugh: